Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

3 members and 3,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Does it ever get boring?

To any big breeders, or just breeders doing it full time, does it ever get boring? You keep ball pythons for a living, doing the same thing every day. Youd've started because you love the animal, but after doing it for awhile does it take away from having them as pets, going to assets? I want to breed in the future, but if it takes away from having them as a pet, or a hobby..i dont know. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    We're all different. I don't know if "boring" is the right adjective- but perhaps "tedious" (for endless cage cleaning, etc.). Sure it can, & that's why you see some breeders (or just long time pet keepers) just finally decide to call it quits & get rid of everything. I've done both- some breeding anyway, but not with a commercial intent. I prefer NOT breeding, & primarily enjoying my pets.

When something is your "day job", at some point it does become "work" I think. There are also many hard questions to face when doing this to make money- choosing what to keep & what to part with, for example. And what to do with the imperfect ones you produced...oops! And there are medical problems & expenses that may come up. Making a living in this is NOT easy, nor any sort of guarantee- there's already a ton of competition, & you want to be the first to produce something unusual (to make any money at it) but that's a bit like winning the lottery- don't count on it. And like I said, these are living creatures- things go wrong, plenty of things.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (01-06-2022)

Thanks

Re: Does it ever get boring?

I can’t speak about the full time aspect because I do this part time on top of my full time job and part time job. I wouldn’t say it gets boring, more like slow times of the season where there’s nothing going on. Are there some days I don’t want to go in and clean a bunch of tubs? Sure. But it’s my obligation because I’m the one who decided to keep and breed these animals. Is it a lot for me? Absolutely not, but for someone else it could be. You have to start small in order to know what you can take on and what you can’t. Like boger said, it takes a lot to make money in this industry. I’m thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt and you have to understand that if you want to get into breeding you will be in a hole for at least 3 years unless you’re breeding worlds firsts and even then will you profit or just break even? There’s a lot of thinking that should go into this before you even attempt to breed anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2022),Erie_herps (01-06-2022)