Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,482

6 members and 3,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: Cannibalism in rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    That type of bin would work though right? I was planning on running by Home Depot after work anyways and grabbing a few cleaning supplies. I might as well go by petco and grab a bottle too. Putting substrate in would probably help with cleaning afterwards I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what bin you're referring to- I actually prefer the "Exo-Terra Faunarium" type of temp. holding cage*, but that clear plastic will likely crack if you try to put a hole in it for a water bottle. You'd have to go thru the lid (knock a couple "teeth" out) & be sure to buy one that isn't super-tall. I'm sure you can make other things (bins) "work" as long as they're well-ventilated. Rodents breathe a LOT more than snakes- their metabolism is "on steroids".

*I raise rodents, & use these type plastic cages when I clean their lab cages, but they're never in there long enough to need water bottles. Only about an hour. And the first thing they ALL do is guzzle water when they're returned home.

Water bottle, my suggestion- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Happy-Hom...4?athbdg=L1200 (Pet stores will have similar ones too.)
    Note- the longer tube curves inward- the Lixit ones are short & straight up & down-not ideal for this application.

Yes, a little substrate will keep the floor cleaner.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2022 at 03:36 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm not sure what bin you're referring to- I actually prefer the "Exo-Terra Faunarium" type of temp. holding cage*, but that clear plastic will likely crack if you try to put a hole in it for a water bottle. You'd have to go thru the lid (knock a couple "teeth" out) & be sure to buy one that isn't super-tall. I'm sure you can make other things (bins) "work" as long as they're well-ventilated. Rodents breathe a LOT more than snakes- their metabolism is "on steroids".

*I raise rodents, & use these type plastic cages when I clean their lab cages, but they're never in there long enough to need water bottles. Only about an hour. And the first thing they ALL do is guzzle water when they're returned home.

Water bottle, my suggestion- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Happy-Hom...4?athbdg=L1200 (Pet stores will have similar ones too.)
    Note- the longer tube curves inward- the Lixit ones are short & straight up & down-not ideal for this application.

Yes, a little substrate will keep the floor cleaner.
    This is the bin I was referring to. Floor space is about 24x15
    Along with this bottle on the outside

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    That bin should work okay with lots of air holes added on top. The water bottle is a bit small & glass- I wouldn't buy less than 8 oz- for a group of rodents held that long- my bottles are plastic.

Thanks

That bin should work okay with lots of air holes added on top. The water bottle is a bit small & glass- I wouldn't buy less than 8 oz- for a group of rodents held that long- my bottles are plastic.
    I am going to buy a bigger one, I just took a screenshot of that one for reference. Petco also sells rodent bedding I assume?

Thanks

I am going to buy a bigger one, I just took a screenshot of that one for reference. Petco also sells rodent bedding I assume?

Of course- all kinds of bedding. You just want something absorbent.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    That should work fine but I would look for one with a locking lid. I know I got some at Target that lock on each side.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-05-2022),Bogertophis (01-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    That should work fine but I would look for one with a locking lid. I know I got some at Target that lock on each side.
    They don’t have latches but they do lock and are pretty hard to open. I have a bigger one that I use to break down my cocoblox

Thanks

They don’t have latches but they do lock and are pretty hard to open. I have a bigger one that I use to break down my cocoblox

That should work then. It's pretty hard for a rat, even a determined one, to do a "pull-up" & have the strength to push up on a cage-top- their front legs aren't that strong.
    But it's best to have some kind of lock for peace of mind, or if the container lends itself (design-wise) to securing with large binder clips or some other way.

Thanks

That should work then. It's pretty hard for a rat, even a determined one, to do a "pull-up" & have the strength to push up on a cage-top- their front legs aren't that strong.
    But it's best to have some kind of lock for peace of mind, or if the container lends itself (design-wise) to securing with large binder clips or some other way.
    Sometimes even I struggle to open the one I have, they’re meant for industrial storage so they’re very well made

Thanks

Sometimes even I struggle to open the one I have, they’re meant for industrial storage so they’re very well made

Sounds pretty safe then, lol. Though a lock is still reassuring for that "one time" you stop fast in traffic & the unsecured container goes flying & voila! You have rats running around in your car & moving quickly into the dashboard...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (01-05-2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast