Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

2 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Weight

I typically weigh all my animals once a month, more if in quarantine, up to a year and then weigh if/when I have some kind of concern. I do this just to monitor growth especially with smaller species that don't show big gains in a short amount of time. Take my Spotted Python for example, that little guy is growing, but so slow that if I didn't weigh him I wouldn't be able to see it. So I do it initially to track growth, and for my peace of mind. To each there own, but I agree with Dakski, I don't see an issue weighing BUT when it becomes an obsession, the "my BP only gained 50 grams this month but last month he gained 45, he must have an RI!" type mindsets aren't helpful for anyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

I think weighing is useful to novice keepers too inexperienced to judge body condition. I posted a picture of my bp on this forum seeking advice on a swelling near his cloaca. Several keepers responded that my bp was seriously underweight. I hadn't noticed. My bp died within weeks. Had I noticed his weight loss, I may have sought help sooner. Before I get a new snake, I'm getting a scale.

Thanks

Weighing definitely seems to help new keepers and it helps people here trying to help because at that point you're talking apples to apples rather than one talking about say prey size. A new keeper might look at all the online prey sizes and be completely confused because this company sells rat pups of this size but their care guide talks like rats pups are bigger than the company sells. New keeper might be like a rat pup is a rat pup but the pups could be too small. If an experienced keeper gives an actual numerical range, it's easier for a new keeper to follow that exactly. Especially if the experienced keeper can't show what the size of their rat pups are or the new keeper has problems dealing with sizes. Everyone learns differently though so multiple ways is better.

I personally weigh my snakes a lot but it's definitely more for me. I'm a data nerd. I've even made growth charts for my snakes. They don't seem to mind being weighed and if they start showing signs of stress, I'll stop. I'll probably stop once they get up to adult sizes too but it's just so fun to watch them grow in my mind. It also helps me understand them more. You can see when they've processed a large amount of food (big poop) or when they've shed. All by just weight. I just find it fascinating.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12