Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

1 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

BP not eating and shedding in pieces

I got my BP about a month ago from a breeder. I was told that she was 6 months at that time. Since getting her, she hasn't eaten yet. I've tried a weened rat a few times. The lack of eating, while opposite from my king snake, I know is not abnormal for a BP, especially in a new environment. What has got me somewhat concerned is her shed. Yesterday she had an incomplete shed and the shed was in numerous pieces. Today there were some more pieces, but it is still not completely off her. I'm not sure what else I should be doing.

I currently have her in a fairly small space with a hide above a heat pad, a water dish and another hide on the other side. She basically spends all her time in the warmer hide, which is at 90. The humidity is around 60. I haven't been handling her as I want her to get adjusted to her new surroundings.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    So far, what you're doing sounds pretty much correct, though when you see a BP that's in shed, raise the humidity a bit higher (about 70-75%), &/or offer a "humid hide". No telling why this shed went poorly, but hopefully it might be just a one-time thing from the stress of being in a new place.

Did she come with a feeding record? Are you offering EXACTLY what she was feeding successfully on by the breeder? Same size & kind of rodent (rats or mice) & same way (live or f/t, via tongs or drop-fed?)

It sounds to me as if she was too stressed at first to eat, & then the next 2 weeks, she "knew" she was going into her shed & refused food for that reason. So now, AFTER she has NO shed left on her (you'll probably need to help her) & then has had a few days to mellow out, you need to get her feeding done right. At evening/night, & offering the right thing in the right way.

for not handling her, btw.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-12-2021)

Thanks
    I'm thinking her hide might be a little on the big side. I'm going to get a smaller one and hopefully that helps as well. I was told she was fed f/t mice and African soft fur rats. I want her to get on a rat diet because as she grows it's easier to give one rat instead of multiple mice.

How best to help her shed? Increase humidity and/or put in a humid hide? Or is there anything else?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakejc For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (12-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: BP not eating and shedding in pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Snakejc View Post
    How best to help her shed? Increase humidity and/or put in a humid hide.
    That's it right there. Boost up humidity as much as you can for her and put some damp moss so she can use it to get rid of the shed.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakejc View Post
    ... I was told she was fed f/t mice and African soft fur rats. I want her to get on a rat diet because as she grows it's easier to give one rat instead of multiple mice...
    So naturally, you offered her rats? Listen, when you get a new snake, they're scared & confused- their entire world just changed & they have no idea how or why.

Offering their familiar food is very important, to help ensure they "settle in" & thrive. Eating is job #1.

May I suggest you only offer f/t mice or ASFs from now on, & worry about changing her to rats later on, when she has settled in for some months & eats well for you. Then it won't be so traumatic for her, & her immune system will function better meanwhile, if she's eating steadily.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-12-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with adding a humid hide to help remove the remaining stuck shed. In regards to feeding I guess there are two basic approaches.

#1. For some keepers, and some snakes, just getting the animal to eat is the highest priority. You can always transition to a different prey type later. This is certainly true.

#2. (My approach) is a little more straightforward. I’d rather start the transition to what I want them to eat in the beginning. A few of the snakes I bought were raised on live prey. I never fed them live prey and only offered f/t meals until those snakes ate. I usually keep mice and rats, because I feed most of my snakes a varied diet, but when I wanted to transition a snake from mice to rats. I only offered them rats until they ate. I was fortunate that it only took a few months for my snakes to get on track, but BPs can be more stubborn/picky than many other snake species and may require a little more tough love. She will eat eventually though. They ALL do.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 12-12-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO