Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,419

1 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Thermostats after power outage?

So, the power went out. I'm not worried about the cold. However, I want to go to sleep soon but am nervous about my thermostats if the power turns on in the middle of the night. Should they still work correctly once the power comes back on? Or should I unplug their heating elements until morning?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 841 Posts
    it might depend on the thermostat. Do you know if it has a battery backup and when it was last replaced?
    I think to be most safe, unplug and monitor the temps when you are awake.

Personally....I haven't had an issue with power outages and my reptitemps and VE-200. They usually pop back on no problems.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021),dakski (12-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Thermostats after power outage?

Should be fine. Most reputable thermostats will go right back to where they were set.

The only issue I've ever had with a thermostat was due to a lightning strike in our yard that caused the thermostat to stop working. It fried it.

However, better to have it colder than too hot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    it might depend on the thermostat. Do you know if it has a battery backup and when it was last replaced?
    I have the herpstat 2 spyderweb. I'm not sure if it has a battery backup, but it is relatively new.

The power just came back on, and something I didn't think about before is my frozen mice/rats. They should be fine, right? I read that freezers stay good for about 48 hours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post
    I have the herpstat 2 spyderweb. I'm not sure if it has a battery backup, but it is relatively new.

The power just came back on, and something I didn't think about before is my frozen mice/rats. They should be fine, right? I read that freezers stay good for about 48 hours.

Herpstat should be fine after an outage. They should go right to the setting you have. I have a Herpstat 2 and a Herpstat 4. Both have gone through power outages in my house numerous times with no issue.

As for the frozen rodents, as long as you don't keep opening the freezer, they should stay frozen for quite awhile. The freezers are heavily insulated for efficiency. With that said, when the power goes back on, if it was for any considerable time, I would definitely check the rodents and make sure they have thawed out at all.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post

All of my thermostats have returned to their original settings, other than the internal clock if it has one. I don't do night drops anyway so I don't really care.

The freezer should be ok for a few hours if unopened. How long food in them stays good depends on whether it's a chest-type or upright, how full it is*, and the outside ambient temperature.

*A full freezer is more efficient than one that is partially full. If your freezer isn't full put some partially-filled bottles of water in it (partially filled so they don't burst) to take up any empty space. If the power does go out it will hold temp longer than if the freezer isn't full.

Thanks

I've had many outages with the Herpstats and they're just fine and go back to their previous setting.

In regards to the freezer, as long as you don't open it, it ahould be good for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

*A full freezer is more efficient than one that is partially full. If your freezer isn't full put some partially-filled bottles of water in it (partially filled so they don't burst) to take up any empty space. If the power does go out it will hold temp longer than if the freezer isn't full.
    But just to be clear, this is something you have to do AHEAD of time. In other words, don't open the freezer when the power is off & you don't know when it's coming back on, just to put bottles of water in. Opening the freezer lets the cold OUT, and adding any unfrozen items will work against you, not help the contents of the freezer stay frozen.

(This was implied but I didn't want anyone confused- keeping food safely frozen is important- allowing it to thaw is a costly mistake, & it's often preventable.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-11-2021),Erie_herps (12-14-2021)