Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

0 members and 3,221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: New enclosure

Thanks

New enclosure

Hello I was just looking around at possibly getting a new en losure for my ball python. I saw on Amazon this one. Just curious if this would be a good idea it has a plastic bottom. But was not sure if wood would be a good idea.

Tortoise Cage Large Tortoise Habitat with Light Support Frame, Indoor Turtle House, Outdoor Tortoises Enclosure for Small Animals - Upgraded Weatherproof Bottom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WJYZVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_X5938XB344GVD12NJ4EB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: New enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Starstop View Post
    Hello I was just looking around at possibly getting a new en losure for my ball python. I saw on Amazon this one. Just curious if this would be a good idea it has a plastic bottom. But was not sure if wood would be a good idea.

Tortoise Cage Large Tortoise Habitat with Light Support Frame, Indoor Turtle House, Outdoor Tortoises Enclosure for Small Animals - Upgraded Weatherproof Bottom https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WJYZVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_X5938XB344GVD12NJ4EB
    I would not go this rout if it was me. Just not designed for them. Heat and humidity and strength would be my worries.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2021),Erie_herps (12-10-2021),GoingPostal (12-09-2021),Homebody (12-10-2021),Hugsplox (12-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,186 Posts

I think it could work. It's a nice size enclosure for the money. I like the private sleeping area. You'll need to cover the screen to hold in humidity. Use a humidity retaining substrate. Add a large water bowl and a humid hide. You'll probably want to coat the interior with polyurethane to protect the wood from the humidity (and the humidity from the wood). I think it's worth considering.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-09-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Personally I wouldn't use it but you might be able to make it work. If it were me I would buy one meant for snakes.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-10-2021),Skyrivers (12-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starstop View Post
    I think for you it is. From a post last year, I noticed that you're living in an drafty old house in New Hampshire. If that's still the case, the heavy wood used to build this enclosure may provide more protection from those drafts than glass or pvc. So, whatever you use to cover the screen should insulate for heat as well as humidity. In addition to the polyurethane I mentioned earlier, I'd use silicone to seal the interior. This will further protect the wood from moisture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I think for you it is. From a post last year, I noticed that you're living in an drafty old house in New Hampshire. If that's still the case, the heavy wood used to build this enclosure may provide more protection from those drafts than glass or pvc. So, whatever you use to cover the screen should insulate for heat as well as humidity. In addition to the polyurethane I mentioned earlier, I'd use silicone to seal the interior. This will further protect the wood from moisture.
    Yup that's me, with miss venom. I was looking to see if there was something better then the glass tank I have. I use blankets and I have foam board on the outside of her tank. I have moved into a better home that is not drafty and heat is not much of an issue anymore just saw this abs thought it would be a little better thank you for the help all of you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2021),Homebody (12-11-2021)