Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

0 members and 3,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Snake has substrate in it's heat pit, should I do something?

My snake has a tiny bit of substrate (coconut fibre) in one of it's heat pits. It's just so much that it makes the heat pit look brown while the other pits are whitish/pinkish like normal.
    He rubs his nose against things and has put his head under water so I assume he wants to get it out.
    Should I do something or leave him alone? I don't wanna probe around his nose or pits.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Snake has substrate in it's heat pit, should I do something?

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    My snake has a tiny bit of substrate (coconut fibre) in one of it's heat pits. It's just so much that it makes the heat pit look brown while the other pits are whitish/pinkish like normal.
    He rubs his nose against things and has put his head under water so I assume he wants to get it out.
    Should I do something or leave him alone? I don't wanna probe around his nose or pits.
    You can get a wet cloth and let him crawl through it to see if it helps and get a substrate that is not coconut fiber. I personally don't like the Coconut fiber stuff for many reasons that this is one of them.

Thanks

Yeah I'll be using soil from now on.
    But I think this coul happen with dirt as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    You could either try a cool water spray in his face (a little rude but harmless) or hold his head under cool trickling water over the sink. It may wash out.

Or, you could wait for him to shed- they do shed the lining of their nostrils & heat sensing pits.

OR, try sucking it out- like by using a little rubber bulb syringe like they sell in drugstores for cleaning ears: (Just don't expect your snake to appreciate this either, lol.)

Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-16-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-16-2021)

Thanks
    Funnily enough, a friend of mine was complaining about this exact issue with one of her bps just a few days ago. I asked her what she did about it, and she said just misting the snake's face didn't work but a short bath did the trick. I'd definitely try the misting option first before opting for a bath though.

I doubt it would be a huge issue for the snake if it stays in there, beyond just being uncomfortable, but if you choose to wait it out it'll probably just dry out and fall out on its own, or, failing all, a shed would take care of it.