Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

3 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Ball python doesn't poop much, normal?

My ball python is now 5 month old, he weighs 137grams and I've had him around 7 weeks.
    He only pooped 2 times since he's been with me and hasn't pooped at all the last 3 weeks.
    He is eating every week though. A mouse 11-14gr .
    Is this normal? Are the meals to small? I will be upping the size starting next week.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    You might want to refer to this chart for the appropriate sized prey your BP should be eating. But keep in mind that snakes eating younger rodents generally don't "go" that often because the young prey they're eating is mostly digestible: the bones are smaller, & there's less hair- so without waste to expel, they just wait until they actually need to go- this also conserves water in their body in the wild- it helps them survive drought & harsh conditions.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-11-2021),Hugsplox (11-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Ball python doesn't poop much, normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You might want to refer to this chart for the appropriate sized prey your BP should be eating. But keep in mind that snakes eating younger rodents generally don't "go" that often because the young prey they're eating is mostly digestible: the bones are smaller, & there's less hair- so without waste to expel, they just wait until they actually need to go- this also conserves water in their body in the wild- it helps them survive drought & harsh conditions.

Yes the feeders are in the range on the chart but he still seems hungry and he prowls his enclosure the same day I fed him. That makes me think the mice might be too small for him and I wanted to upgrade regardless from now on.
    But does that mean it's fine if he doesn't poop often?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Yes the feeders are in the range on the chart but he still seems hungry and he prowls his enclosure the same day I fed him. That makes me think the mice might be too small for him and I wanted to upgrade regardless from now on.
    But does that mean it's fine if he doesn't poop often?
    There's a term we use for snakes that continue to act hungry after being fed- as if they didn't get enough to eat. It's called "feed mode" & it's quite normal & typical. It's much like us, when our dinner or dessert is more than we should eat but it's too yummy to quit, lol. Your snake will be healthier if not over-fed- so don't fall for it, okay? Snakes might stay in "feed mode" for hours or even a day or several days after being fed. It doesn't mean their meal was inadequate- it just means they're still thinking about food, but if you feed more, you may cause your snake to regurgitate all, so do not fall for it. Just don't.

And yes, it's normal, he's fine not defecating very often- as long as you aren't seeing a bulge above his vent (aka "cloaca") that suggests he needs relief- what some here call "sausage butt" for obvious reasons. If he appears bloated (puffy above his vent) that could mean he's about to let loose (be careful where you hold him- not over your head, lol!) or it could mean he's "constipated" (which is very uncommon, but there's ways to tell & ways we can help if that's the case.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-11-2021),Hugsplox (11-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with not falling for their feeding mode shenanigans. Some of snakes will stay amped for a few days even after a large meal and others will go off and digest their food quietly. I don’t weigh my snakes or their prey, it’s really not necessary, but I do think you’re feeding meals on the smaller side. I feed my snakes fairly liberally for their first two years and then I dial them back after they turn three. Most of their food intake for the first couple of years seems to go towards their growth, not obesity, and they don’t waste much. Once they’re well established I put them on more of a maintenance feeding schedule.

I’d feed your BP an adult mouse, or a similarly sized rat pup, every 7-10 days.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 11-12-2021 at 11:30 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-12-2021),Hugsplox (11-12-2021)