Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

0 members and 3,372 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Ball Python Defensive/Aggressive

I purchased a 6-month old female BP back in April from a breeder and she was immediately very defensive once introduced to her enclosure. I thought this was probably due to stress from shipment and that she would calm down once she settled in. This was not the case. Any time I came near her enclosure, she would lock onto me and strike, despite being 2-3 feet from the cage. She has always accepted meals and I minimize stress as much as possible. She has a hide-box where she spends the majority of her time. I moved her during the summer into a rack. She still continued to exhibit defensive/aggressive behavior in this new environment without fail. Cleaning her cage is a very stressful ordeal. I have to carefully maneuver myself so that she doesn't lock onto me and begin striking. Even while being held, she assumes a strike pose and I have to carefully position her head as I hold her away from my face or arms so she won't bite. I avoid having any other people/animals in the room when handling, but no matter what I do, she just does not seem to relax if she is aware of my presence. I have 4 other BPs in identical conditions and they are all calm and easy to handle. Now a year old, I wonder if she will always be this way. I worry about taking a bite from her as she get bigger and older. Any advice for what I can do? Is this snake just innately aggressive? Again, I can't identify any stressors the animal may be experiencing. She eats and poops just fine. It does not seem to be a feeding response, as she is aggressive even while being handled. Thanks for any advice!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Defensive/Aggressive

Chances are you just have a feisty one. How much time have you spent with her trying to tame her down? Being bit by a BP is hardly anything, you shouldn’t worry to much about that. It’s nothing more than if you pricked your finger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-03-2021),Hugsplox (11-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

What are your temps like and how much/often are you feeding her? Most of the time snakes strike it’s out of discomfort, fear, or hunger. I agree that getting bit by a BP isn’t a big deal but I still don’t like getting bit . Have you tried hook/tap training? It works great for my snakes if they’re a little amped up which usually only happens when they’re hungry. You can also wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt for added protection until she realizes that biting you in is futile. I hope she settles down for you soon.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 11-03-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

PythonChris88 (11-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    What are your temps like and how much/often are you feeding her? Most of the time snakes strike it’s out of discomfort, fear, or hunger. I agree that getting bit by a BP isn’t a big deal but I still don’t like getting bit . Have you tried hook/tap training? It works great for my snakes if they’re a little amped up which usually only happens when they’re hungry. You can also wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt for added protection until she realizes that biting you in is futile. I hope she settles down for you soon.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I keep their warm side around 88 with the cooler side around 75-78. I feed her every 7-10 days, 1 small rat. I tend to handle my snakes 3-4 days after a meal when they have less of an appetite and there's no risk of regurgitation. I do use the tap method with a snake hook if my snakes are particularly rambunctious that day and it works great, except for with her . I don't think it's a feed response, I think she is just very fearful. She can become defensive even while I'm holding her, which gets my heart pumping (I don't like getting bit either). I have another snake from the same breeder and he was an oddball too, though he has gotten much better. He at first was extremely flighty and/or balled up any time he was handled. Now he's super calm, cool and collected. I've made little progress with her, but I'll keep trying!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PythonChris88 View Post
    ...I have another snake from the same breeder and he was an oddball too, though he has gotten much better. He at first was extremely flighty and/or balled up any time he was handled. Now he's super calm, cool and collected. I've made little progress with her, but I'll keep trying!
    I agree there's likely genetics involved too- as long as BPs are bred (& sometimes inbred) for fancy morphs, & not for good temperaments, there's other characteristics that are also becoming "baked in". Much as I enjoy all the "eye candy" too, I'd rather have a snake with a good temperament ANY day, lol. IMO, no matter how pretty (or "valuable") some snakes are, if their personality is a "royal pain" I wouldn't be breeding them. But I think many do, just like with canines & other animals. Of course, in the WILD, your highly defensive BP might be the best survivor...she's just harder to live with as a pet.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Some snakes take longer to learn they're safe with us than others. And the constant stress probably isn't very good for their own immune system, nor for the enjoyment you're obviously missing.

But stay patient & understand that she's not "aggressive" but is actually very afraid & defensive, and that it's up to you to teach her in ways she can learn not to fear you.

First- understand she's not identifying you visually- snakes regard large creatures coming toward them as a threat, a predator. She can't read your mind. She's justifiably afraid. Snakes need more sensory input to identify us (ie. your scent & touch) & once they learn more about us, they remember & calm down. It's up to you to be her teacher. The most likely time to get bit by a snake is upon approach- if you don't give them time to recognize you by scent & touch.

My favorite example was an unwanted yearling boa (BCI) that I took in many years ago. She changed hands many times in her first year of life, because she bit everyone relentlessly, & they all gave up on her. Her last owner was a guy that worked as a tech for my vet, & he had snake experience, but he too gave up on this boa. I didn't. It took about 2 months for me to teach her that she was safe with me. And that's all your snake wants- to feel safe. It's worth your time, because most snakes learn & remember, just as they learn their way around in nature to survive.

What I did was to pick up that little snapdragon by putting a small towel over her & enclosing her in it. I've never had a snake bite me thru a towel, but obviously, don't do that with a venomous snake. Just in case there's an exception. But you're quite safe, so then you sit down with this bundle of hissy-fit on your warm lap & watch a movie or something for 30-60 minutes at least. Don't let the snake peek out- let her learn that she feels warm & hidden ("safe") & let her learn your scent, & gentle touch through the towel. Do this a couple times each week for a while, & when each session ends, return the snake to their home. Don't be surprised if they react the moment you remove the towel. It's fine.

When you can do this without the snake having a melt-down, cautiously begin to let her peek out from under the towel while you sit there, not moving. Keep your hands (aka "targets") under the snake while she gets her bearings & starts to figure out that you might not be the worst thing on the planet & aren't going to eat her for lunch.

Snakes have their own personality but I'd be surprised if you cannot get your BP to learn to feel safe with you, if you persist in teaching her that she really is safe. My boa, even though high strung & with a frightful start in life, became a reliable sweetheart that never bit me (or anyone) even ONCE in the 12 years she was my pet. Eventually she got big & I re-homed her with some friends at that time that were into big snakes- I never planned to have a large boa, but she loved to be cuddled. She felt safe.

So what you need to do is help your BP overcome their instinctive fear & feel safe with you. You need to communicate on HER terms- with your touch & scent- in ways she can understand.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-03-2021),ballpythonluvr (11-03-2021),Erie_herps (11-03-2021),Homebody (11-05-2021),PythonChris88 (11-05-2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the thorough reply! I will continue to work with her and hope that she learns that I am not a threat. I understand that she only does it out of fear. I actually had to use the towel technique that you mentioned at least twice while trying to clean her cage. Once she locks onto me, the only way to remove her from the cage is by creating a visual barrier. I imagine this also reduces the stress on her being covered in a dark towel. Your story with your boa gives me hope!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonChris88 View Post
    Thanks for the thorough reply! I will continue to work with her and hope that she learns that I am not a threat. I understand that she only does it out of fear. I actually had to use the towel technique that you mentioned at least twice while trying to clean her cage. Once she locks onto me, the only way to remove her from the cage is by creating a visual barrier. I imagine this also reduces the stress on her being covered in a dark towel. Your story with your boa gives me hope!
    But -I'm assuming- when you used a towel, it was only for a short while- "to clean her cage". Our approach & pick-up is the most stressful for the snake- it takes TIME for them to calm down from that, which is why I suggest holding her for a while, when you're reading or doing something where you sit down calmly for a while, so she will have time to unwind. There's no fast way to do this, unfortunately- snakes are individuals, & some are harder than others to teach, especially those with a history like my Mexican BCI had. They can't learn to associate you with safety while they're in a state of panic. Remember they LIKE being warm & cozy under a towel- at the same time, they learn your scent & touch, once they have time to calm down. See? They learn to associate you with safety- just like they'd learn their way around in the wild & return to their cozy hiding places.

Another thing to do with a fearful snake is to take a stroll outside (temperatures permitting, obviously) while holding them. Usually best after the previous sessions- once they already know you're a reliable safe zone. They're very distracted by all the different smells- & a little sunshine is probably good for them just as it is for us. It's just another way to build trust & bond as much as you can.

I believe there are exceptions*- but very few- that are untamable- due to "brain differences" to put it nicely, lol. But VERY few- so think positive, & ALWAYS try to imagine how you'd feel in her place. Empathy is the key. (*And that's true of all kinds of animals.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

PythonChris88 (11-06-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What type of tub in the rack? IE can she see out. Move her to clean, let her crawl around or put her into a bigger box or something. With any rack or cage just getting opened to feed you’ll get strikes. As stated time to tap train an handle her more. Let her get huffy with you an just keep lightly touching her. She’ll learn you aren’t a threat sooner or later. If she is female it will be later.

Just don’t fall asleep with her in your lap! You’ll be looking for her for a week.

Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

PythonChris88 (11-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    ...Just don’t fall asleep with her in your lap! You’ll be looking for her for a week...
    So true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast