Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

1 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: A seldom (never?) noted advantage of flat substrate (newspaper, paper towel, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    My sister uses something like that for her leopard geckos, it’s a very nice idea and cost saving too! I don’t have tanks anymore but might have to use this idea whenever I finally pick up a Green Tree Python

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use carpet for my biggest snakes- as so much loose substrate is just such a mess. (I have 19 snakes though, so I wouldn't want to use in all tanks.) I used carpet for the BCI I had for many years too- she did great with it. You can spot clean it, & also disinfect it, & if the snake likes some humidity, it doesn't need to be completely dry to put it back- the water shakes out quickly, though it's easier to have 2 carpets cut per tank, one ready to substitute. I cut them larger than the floor, so they fold up about 3" on all sides (easier if you notch a square from each corner ) & it's thick enough & firm enough that very few snakes will tunnel under it- (maybe a bull snake would, or a king? but none of my snakes ever dig under it.) Another thing I love about it is that UTH heat comes right up thru it easily. It's sold in Lowe's/Home Depot type stores, usually on a 12' roll by the foot- not expensive either, esp. for all the wear you get out of it. Left over pieces can be rolled up & fastened as tunnel-hides, & various other uses. Cuts easily with good scissors. If I only had a few snakes, I'd use it for all, but there's only so many carpets I want to wash. The snakes LOVE the traction too.

My only caution- if you use it for a snake with long teeth (boa, BP, etc) make SURE they aren't fed directly on it- they can hook their teeth into it when they open their mouth wide to pick up their prey- using a "plate" is essential.

And again- I'm not keeping BPs any more- so I'm not saying this is a perfect substrate for them- just discussing the many options for substrate. I was going to apologize for being "off topic" but carpet actually IS a "flat substrate" too, just a thicker one with excellent texture, lol. I suppose it could be used for a BP, as long as you provide a really good humid hide also.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-13-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (10-14-2021),Trinityblood (10-14-2021)