Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

2 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Anyone Use Deep Heat Projectors

Just curious if anyone has tried these with ball pythons. I got one for my leopard gecko this past weekend and she has been basking on and off since. And started eating after a 4 month fast. Not sure if the DHP lead to this or it was just coincidence, but seeing her reactions to it I plan on up grading the other gecko too.

Since ball pythons are not as much a basking species as geckos I wonder if it would be worth it. The main benefit of these is supposed to be the production of both infra-red a and b heat that supposedly penetrates deeper into the skin and muscles than heat from say CHE's. It also warm the substrate to re-radiate it (as long as the substrate is something that absorbs heat, such as a stone or ceramic). I've read a lot of people having success with lizards and turtles as far as seeming to increase more natural behaviors, but I don't know anyone that has used it with a snake.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I'm glad you asked, I've been wondering about these myself- haven't tried yet.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (09-09-2021)

Thanks

Re: Anyone Use Deep Heat Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm glad you asked, I've been wondering about these myself- haven't tried yet.
    It's weird, but you can almost feel a slight difference in the heat - hard to explain, but it really is like the lamp is warming deeper than just skin. And it produces almost no light, even at night it isn't enough to see into the cage - Arcadia says less than 4 lux -

Only downsides (which are small in my opinion) it is that they need a proportional thermostat to keep the temps steady and heat the substrate more evenly, and are a little pricey. They have a long life like the CHE's so that helps.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    That sounds really promising, actually. (It's one thing for their advertising to suggest these things, but it's much better when it comes from fellow keepers.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanks! I was skeptical too. It's one reason I just got one. But so far I've been really pleased.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I use DHP for several of my snakes, including my Ball Python. and I absolutely recommend them. My Jungle Carpet Python comes out and basks under his every single day; the other snakes bask regularly - some daily, some every couple of days. The Ball Python does more cryptic basking (throwing just a coil or two under the lamp) but it is definitely basking and definitely different behavior than I observed with a radiant heat panel (RHP).

Most of my enclosures are set up with RHP but to be honest if I had it to do over again I'd be using DHP for all of my snakes. The photo below is Paco, one of my Tarahumara Mountain Boas. I took it on the first day he had access to a DHP. He took that position and basked like that ALL DAY, and has spent at least some time basking almost every day since then. Look, I'll be completely transparent here and confess that I teared up a little when I saw how much the little guy was enjoying that DHP. I wish I'd provided it for him sooner.

I had several discussions with one of the researchers at Arcadia Reptile who helped to develop the DHP, and while I don't want to overwhelm with technical info, I will say that I am confident that these lamps do in fact provide a different experience for the animals and one that is closer to the experience of basking under natural light. Another benefit to DHP is that it's less demanding on electricity than some other options like CHE, and is also easier on humidity. It's true that you need one of the pricier thermostats, but I use Herpstats anyway. Frankly they end up being not much more than the cheaper ones in the long run because they last so long, but their safety features alone make them more than worth it.

If you do decide to use DHP, the probe placement can be a tad tricky to get used to at first, but it's no big deal. Briefly, the DHP causes heat to be absorbed by nearby surfaces so it's more effective to place the probe nearer the outer edge of the main projection zone of the lamp. I also find that when using DHP it's nice to add a few pieces of flat slate near the DHP (about 15" away to be sure it doesn't get too hot). These absorb the heat and reflect it back; the snakes seem to love it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-10-2021),Crowfingers (09-10-2021),Hugsplox (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I'm going to assume that DHPs don't produce any UVB rays and shouldn't be used for that purpose?

Been curious about other methods once my T10 arrives whenever when for my BP, notably trying UVB to see if that benefits him in any way (I've heard countless back and forth over whether BPs truly get anything out of UVB, general consensus seems to be that it isn't required like for other reptiles but individual testimonies seem to indicate they become more "lively" or something to that effect). That said I know it will come with a RHP installed from Pro Products so it'll be more of an experiment than "I need to figure out the essentials now" if that makes sense.

Still, I'll keep DHPs in mind when I acquire more active species that will tend to be predisposed to basking behavior.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I'm going to assume that DHPs don't produce any UVB rays and shouldn't be used for that purpose?
    They do not create UVB, just heat. Although for my leopard gecko, she comes out and basks under the DHP even during the day now, and her UVB bulbs overlap the heated zone so that she is getting the benefit too. My males still has a CHE and though it overlaps with his UVB bulb, I rarely see him out before the light are off. Same with the female before I made the switch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    They do not create UVB, just heat. Although for my leopard gecko, she comes out and basks under the DHP even during the day now, and her UVB bulbs overlap the heated zone so that she is getting the benefit too. My males still has a CHE and though it overlaps with his UVB bulb, I rarely see him out before the light are off. Same with the female before I made the switch.
    While on the subject, are UVBs on a timer like one would for regular daytime lighting? Or are they on 24/7? I never actually used UVB for anything before so I never learned how it's utilized.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 09-10-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    While on the subject, are UVBs on a timer like one would for regular daytime lighting? Or are they on 24/7? I never actually used UVB for anything before so I never learned how it's utilized.
    UVB's should be on a timer - they are full spectrum light, and fairly bright. leaving them on 24/7 would prevent any kind of day/night cycle and would essentially be like the sun being up all day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-10-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast