Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Female aggressively feed but won't eat

Hey everyone just had a quick question about a female that I have right now. She laid a clutch 7/1 this year and went back on to food within a week. Took two larger rats. However the last three meals now she has absolutely pounded the rat but then proceeded to drop it and not eat it. I can tell that's she's hungry from her feeding response and body language, she even tagged me today while spot cleaning. She is completely healthy no signs of any illness. I've only seen this before when breeding and snakes were gravid so was thinking maybe she's egg bound. I couldn't feel anything in he after she laid. Im going to have her x-rayed by my friend that is a vet tech this week. (It won't cost anything so I figured I'd just make sure she's empty) Anyway was just looking for any other thoughts or opinions because this is really odd behavior for her.

Thanks,
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I tend to agree with having a scan done to see what's going on internally. I have 2 adult rat snakes that never bred yet lay infertile eggs every year, & used to do 2nd clutches as well. Now there's only one that does a 2nd clutch- I found out this year when she appeared to be hungry but refused food twice- not like her at all. I gave her a nest box again with damp moss, & finally she laid her 2nd clutch (of duds) only yesterday. Actually, I'd be inclined to do the same thing with your snake for a while, rather than stressing her with a vet visit when she needs to be completely relaxed to expel eggs, if that's what's going on. You sure don't want her to become egg-bound- and if you give her a place to lay right now, I bet she'll demonstrate her "answer" by using it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (09-07-2021)

Thanks

Re: Female aggressively feed but won't eat

Her going off feed soon after laying seems a bit odd for sure. Since you said you didn't feel anything I don't think she would be egg bound. It doesn't hurt to check her though (especially if its free ). How much did she weigh before and after laying? How much does she weigh after those two rats? How many eggs did she drop?
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2021),sp0420 (09-07-2021)

Thanks
    Again, 2 months (roughly) after laying her clutch is the right timing for a snake to be doing a second clutch- did you offer a nest box, as I suggested above???

That's what I'd do, or she may BECOME egg-bound, with nowhere to lay. My rat snake is back to eating ravenously now- happy to be rid of her 2nd clutch.

Initially, mine did the same thing as yours- pounded food after laying the first clutch, then went off feed after a couple meals to tide her over while she worked on the second clutch. Quite the normal process, for those snakes who do second clutches- not all snakes do that, & I sure wish mine would quit, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 12:26 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (09-07-2021)

Thanks

That's what I was thinking that it was kind of weird. She went on food and now it's pounding and coiling the rats but just dropping them after. And three in a row. She weighed 1850 grams after 5 healthy eggs and after the two rats and a bowel movement she's around the same 1865 g. Think I'm gonna give her one more shot with a smaller rat and see if she takes it and eats it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed typo ("bowl")

Thanks

I didn't offer egg box yet she's on the same substrate she laid in. Fresh substrate of course. Was gonna give her a soak cause she made a real mess of her last bathroom break. Maybe some warm water will loosen anything up if there is anything in there. I should mention she's a bp so should only be one clutch.
    Last edited by sp0420; 09-07-2021 at 01:01 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    That's what I was thinking that it was kind of weird. She went on food and now it's pounding and coiling the rats but just dropping them after. And three in a row. She weighed 1850 grams after 5 healthy eggs and after the two rats and a bowel movement she's around the same 1865 g. Think I'm gonna give her one more shot with a smaller rat and see if she takes it and eats it.
    Your snake would probably love to eat but she knows intuitively that she needs to expel something first. I wasn't aware that it's so improbable for BPs to do a 2nd clutch. I guess you should take your friend up on the scan, so you know for sure. It's frustrating to keep trying to feed a snake that should be eating & they just won't. And she's not showing any other unusual behaviors?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks

That's what I was thinking that it was kind of weird. She went on food and now it's pounding and coiling the rats but just dropping them after. And three in a row. She weighed 1850 grams after 5 healthy eggs and after the two rats and a bowl movement she's around the same 1865 g. Think I'm gonna give her one more shot with a smaller rat and see if she takes it and eats it.
    Does she seem restless at all? If she is I would think she could possibly be egg bound. After the two rats did she have a bowel movement? Does she normally drop 5 eggs a season? That would also be a good indicator to see if she is egg bound since on average they lay about the same amount per year, give or take

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2021)

Thanks

Think I'm gonna give her one more shot with a smaller rat and see if she takes it and eats it.
    Are you offering live or frozen?

Thanks

I didn't offer egg box yet she's on the same substrate she laid in. Fresh substrate of course. Was gonna give her a soak cause she made a real mess of her last bathroom break. Maybe some warm water will loosen anything up if there is anything in there. I should mention she's a bp so should only be one clutch.
    I'm aware that you're talking about a BP- but most rat snakes don't do second clutches either. I don't breed BPs, but I don't know why that would preclude the possibility? Anyway, I offered my opinion because what you're describing is exactly what I see with my rat snakes. And btw, my 2 FL rat snakes have never bred at all- so in theory, they shouldn't be laying ANY clutches -but they've been doing so yearly since they became adults. And I've bred plenty of snakes in the past (just not BPs) & they don't always "follow the manuals", lol. Good luck. I hope your snake isn't egg-bound, & it sure couldn't hurt to offer a nest box, that was my thought- just on the chance.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast