Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

3 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Clicking Noise

Thanks

Clicking Noise

Hi Everyone! So today I noticed that my ball python has a slight clicking noise when he breathes. He has no other signs of a respiratory infection, only the very slight click (and it doesn't even happen every time he takes a breath). Of course I am freaking out and I made an appointment with a vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if there was a possibility it isn't an RI? He ate two days ago, he is about to go into shed (looking very dull), and is acting completely normal. His temperature and humidity are correct (80 on cool, 90 on hot, 50% humid usually). I just know RIs are serious and I don't want to take this noise lightly, but I also don't want to jump the gun and pay unnecessary amounts of money for nothing. Are there any other reasons a ball python could make a clicking noise?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    Might not be an RI- snakes can get a bit of water in their nostrils when they drink, or a tiny bit of skin gets left behind (in the outer nostril) from their most recent shed, & that can make a faint clicking sound when the snake breathes. When he's in shed, you should raise the humidity to 60-70%- that will help. If it's too dry, it's more likely that bits of skin get left behind- & that might be what you're hearing now from a previous shed. I'd hold off on the vet visit unless you see bubbles in his mouth, extra saliva, or hear more noises than the minor & occasional clicks you're hearing now- like more constant whistling & crackling. While it's always best to catch an RI "early", you also don't want to go to the vet for nothing- it's stressful for the snake.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Clicking Noise

Ok, I'll raise the humidity a bit and see if it helps. Just trying not to stress prematurely. I'll wait a bit and see. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    And look in his nostrils- sometimes you can see either a bit of loose skin or debris (from pushing nose into substrate, for example).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

gtgibs (09-02-2021)