Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

0 members and 3,202 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I'm very much an amateur and have been keeping BP's for around 5 years, possibly a bit longer...

I've just decided on my 5th which is a hold back from my first clutch, a simple gene'd enchi male who I want to watch grow. But I am currently keeping an eye out a certain type of female, and later a male with the intention of trying to produce a super a few years from now.

My hobby is intended to be low level, while trying to learn at every opportunity and keep my collection at a manageable number.
    One thing I keep in mind is feeding. The more animals, the more feeds are required, and younger animals more frequently.

It's a slow process, and breeding only became a decision a few years ago and I am still building, but purposefully taking my time in doing so.

My suggestion would be for you to get used the young BP's you've got first, "try" and learn to understand their "habits", experience a feeding draught and consider it again in a year or two, and go from there. The enthusiasm you feel now may change considerably once they've put you through a bit of stress, because they almost certainly will.

3 out of the 4, before deciding on the 5th which is my hold back, have all given me worry over eating. The longest dry spell being around the 6 month mark.

I also have the worry that I'll end up with more animals than I have 'planned' for, but am practicing self control... I hope!

Good luck and enjoy
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts

Re: How often you guys get a new ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Hannya View Post
    I total agree with this, i got my target list for my breeding plan, my first target is a CaliBee
    Someone already brought up selling the single genes and such... But are you aware of the issues with spider gene as well? It's not just selling potential, it's health potential as well.
    My breeding female is a killer queenbee [Super pastel lesser spider]. Any time you are working with spider, you must be aware that you may not be able to sell the offspring as well. I bred my girl because her spider gene impact is MINIMAL. She only wobbled the first week I got her as a yearling due to stress.
    Out of her 4 hatchlings, 3 have the spider gene. All 3 are BEL, so it isn't something you can readily see on them, but all 3 will occasionally wobble while cruising their habitats. One of them, I'm still going to rehome, but as pet quality only because he also has the spider head tilt. None of mine have issues eating.... but there still is the very rare chance you will hatch a spider who's wobble is so severe that you may need to consider culling it if it cannot eat. You also run the risk of dead hatchlings if you breed a spider to spider or champagne. It's a fatal super gene

I will admit, GHI mojaves are beautiful and that is one of the snakes I was thinking of working towards. I understand the appeal. If you are seriously considering breeding you will definitely need to plan what you are breeding for and how to get there. Having a powerhouse male is ideal way to start. By this I mean a male who is already a super or allelic combo. I got a great price on my female, so I started a bit backwards. But the male I bred her to is a crystal enchi pastel. Every offspring from that pair is at the very least either pastel mojave or pastel special. I lucked out and all 4 hatchlings from my first clutch were white snakes. I was crossing fingers for a Blue Eye Lucy or two... But I wanted a female BEL holdback and they were all males. lol. So be careful what you wish for as well.

Either way, owning and breeding can be a rewarding experience. But make sure to do your research on what care you'll need or what kind of genetic combos can do what you're looking to do.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-28-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    But are you aware of the issues with spider gene as well?
    I do like some spiders I've seen, especially the clown spider I was handling a few weeks back. Awesome head marking... stunning little guy. A trade was hinted at but I've decided that I don't want one in my collection, mainly for the head wobble reason.

I did hear recently that adding GHI rectifies the wobble, though?!?!?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    I did hear recently that adding GHI rectifies the wobble, though?!?!?!
    I haven't heard that yet. It doesn't sound too outlandish considering GHI counteracts Spider visually to an extent. They may even be allelic like Black Head and Spider are, which I have heard removes the wobble. It might be worth testing at some point. I do not have any GHI right now, but it's in my top 5 next to buy, and would honestly work out really lovely in a pairing to our Banana Bee imho.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-28-2021)

Thanks

You also have to think, do you have a market to sell these animals? How high is the demand for ball pythons where you are? Do you have a reliable food source to feed these animals? Most people don’t like spider but IMO they do just fine and the wobble doesn’t effect them if they aren’t stressed. I think you should definitely wait a little longer before you think about getting more snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I haven't heard that yet. It doesn't sound too outlandish considering GHI counteracts Spider visually to an extent. They may even be allelic like Black Head and Spider are, which I have heard removes the wobble.
    Yeah, I was looking into another gene a week or two back and it was mentioned about the Black Head removing the wobble too. It was a comment made about not knowing if the gene might remove the wobble like the GHI and BH do, but the commentator wouldn't be surprised as it was another dark gene being talked about so was suggestive of there being link between dark genes and removing head wobbles in spiders, but was clear to state they didn't actually know and it was just a possible theory they'd thought of, but haven't looked further in to it than that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12