Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,150

3 members and 1,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Feeding suggestions

People always say “the later you feed, the more success you’ll have. This makes sense, but what people also say to do is feed when they’re still in their hide but awake. This is impossible to do because my little guy comes out at 8 every day. I have my lights set to turn off at 8 as well. For the past couple of feedings I just wait until about 5 minutes after the lights turn off (he’s usually poking his head out by then) then I offer and he eats. Sometimes he’ll poke out earlier while the lights are still on, and if he does this, I just feed earlier. Should I be feeding this early, or should I wait until later, even if he’s in a random spot out in the open in his enclosure? He hasn’t missed a meal yet, but I want to know what’s best and what will guarantee the best results for when he does go off feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 11,903 Posts
    There are no guarantees, unfortunately. Living creatures don't always follow the general directions we write, so do what works for you & yours. Since your snake IS feeding for you, keep up the good work! If he goes off-feed, you might have to re-think this, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (08-19-2021),nikkubus (08-20-2021),Spicey (08-20-2021)

Thanks
    Some snakes are super-picky eaters, but it sure doesn't sound like yours is, so be very glad & just enjoy him. It still pays to know what generally works for BPs though, since some of them get finicky once they become mature adults; just because they start off easy to feed, doesn't mean they'll never "test you".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (08-19-2021)

Thanks

Re: Feeding suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Some snakes are super-picky eaters, but it sure doesn't sound like yours is, so be very glad & just enjoy him. It still pays to know what generally works for BPs though, since some of them get finicky once they become mature adults; just because they start off easy to feed, doesn't mean they'll never "test you".
    Yes, that’s why I want to be prepared. If he ever stops eating I’d probably try and feed late at night when he’s out and about because it’s something I’ve never done. I’d also try other things too. But yes, my little guy is a little fat hog lol. The guy I got him from said ever since his first meal he’s been feeding on F/T rats. The guy fed him every 3-4 days for a whole month and the little sucker ate every time! So buy the time he got to me he was stuffed up like a turkey on thanksgiving . So I’m now feeding him every 8 days because his weight is way over what it’s supposed to be for his age.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    Yes, that’s why I want to be prepared. If he ever stops eating I’d probably try and feed late at night when he’s out and about because it’s something I’ve never done. I’d also try other things too. But yes, my little guy is a little fat hog lol. The guy I got him from said ever since his first meal he’s been feeding on F/T rats. The guy fed him every 3-4 days for a whole month and the little sucker ate every time! So buy the time he got to me he was stuffed up like a turkey on thanksgiving . So I’m now feeding him every 8 days because his weight is way over what it’s supposed to be for his age.

You can't do anything about how he was fed before you got him, but for feeding him every 8 days now. And if he goes into shed, don't even offer food, let him skip a meal. Snakes can actually be over-fed & have health problems (like fatty liver disease) that shorten their lives- just like us. You want a "happy medium"- not starved but not over-fed either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (08-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,692 Posts

I think it’s fine to feed anytime after dark. It doesn’t have to be on a set schedule. I’m kind of a night owl so my snakes usually get fed after midnight, but I’ve also fed them at dusk, and even during the day. My snakes don’t hide much so I’m used to feeding them out in the open. When I kept BPs they would eat at various times too, until they didn’t. Try not to worry about when/if your snake goes off food. If that happens don’t start jumping through hoops to trick him into eating again. If he’s not sick, and your husbandry is good, then just stick with what’s been working for you until he get back on track. I have a few snakes that stop eating for 3-5 months every year and they all eat again eventually. It just comes with the territory. It sounds like your BP is off to a really good start. Enjoy every moment.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 08-20-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2021),EthanMG (08-20-2021),nikkubus (08-20-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I think it’s fine to feed anytime after dark. It doesn’t have to be on a set schedule. I’m kind of a night owl so my snakes usually get fed after midnight, but I’ve also fed them at dusk, and even during the day. My snakes don’t hide much so I’m used to feeding them out in the open. When I kept BPs they would eat at various times too, until they didn’t. Try not to worry about when/if your snake goes off food. If that happens don’t start jumping through hoops to trick him into eating again. If he’s not sick, and your husbandry is good, then just stick with what’s been working for you until he get back on track. I have a few snakes that stop eating for 3-5 months every year and they all eat again eventually. It just comes with the territory. It sounds like your BP is off to a really good start. Enjoy every moment.
    Thank you, great advice