Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Climbing opportunities

Hello,
    I recently got a snake and I was wondering what everyone does for climbing opportunities. Right now I have him in a simple setup with fake plants but I've been seeing him climbing the fake plants so I want to give him more opportunities to climb without hurting himself. I've thought about using real trees and bend-a-branch supplies but I wanted to know if anyone has tips on attaching those or ways to sterilize tree limbs.
    Last edited by Neko_snake; 08-19-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I use branches personally. The best way to sterilize them is putting them in the oven on a low temperature (like 200F) for an hour or so, but not all branches fit. In that case, if it's hot where you are you can try stuffing them in a large black trash bag and laying them out in the sun to 'cook'.

My enclosure is made of wood, so I've opted to drill holes into the wall-mounted branches and then install threaded pipes, then drill a hole through the enclosure itself. This is not possible with glass enclosures, and some folks with PVC or wood might not want to mess with all that, so you can look at how SerpaDesign on Youtube mounts branches in larger enclosures, no holes required. Just lots of silicone.

For the non-wall-mounted, I've tried to arrange them in ways that I think would support my snake, but she sometimes has other ideas lol.

I also use some shelves I bought from Universal Rocks that are mounted with silicone.

I have seen other people use PVC pipes, but I personally prefer the look of branches so haven't opted for that route.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Neko_snake (08-19-2021),nikkubus (08-19-2021)

Thanks

Re: Climbing opportunities

Thanks for your help. I've heard about baking branches but I don't think I'll be allowed to use the oven for that. I really like your trash bag trick. That could work if it's really hot here. I would like to be able to switch out the branches every so often so I'm not sure about using silicone. He's still a juvenile and not in his final enclosure so I'm not sure about permanent things. I'll check out SerpaDesign more and see what he does. Thanks for the information.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Starscream (08-19-2021)

Thanks
    Specialty Enclosure Designs makes great-looking PVC perches. Easy to clean and install!

It's great that you're looking to add more climbing opportunities for your snake, I'm sure he will appreciate it and benefit from the exercise and enrichment! My BP surprised me a lot with how much he enjoys climbing despite BPs being known as a terrestrial snake.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Starscream (08-19-2021)