Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

2 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hatchling Questions

So I recently bought my first hatchling, I've taken care of adults in the past but it seems like adults are very different. I've had my hatchling for a week and he has refused food once. My worry is 2 things, he looks a little thin and more triangle than he should be, and he was originally eating live when I offered frozen/thawed. So I'm wondering if I should keep trying frozen/thawed or just get him a live small adult mouse like he was eating for the breeder. I also just got a scale so I haven't had a chance to weigh him and check if he's losing weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Hatchling Questions

Always offer the same type of prey the animal was eating at its previous home before trying something new. If it was eating live small mice at the breeder’s then it should start on those at your place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-13-2021),Snow Balls (08-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    So I recently bought my first hatchling, I've taken care of adults in the past but it seems like adults are very different. I've had my hatchling for a week and he has refused food once. My worry is 2 things, he looks a little thin and more triangle than he should be, and he was originally eating live when I offered frozen/thawed. So I'm wondering if I should keep trying frozen/thawed or just get him a live small adult mouse like he was eating for the breeder. I also just got a scale so I haven't had a chance to weigh him and check if he's losing weight.
    I'd keep trying frozen thawed, what temp are you getting them too before you offer it? Also if it's eating adult mice I wouldn't call it a hatchling anymore, it's more than likely a juvenile at this point. I've found males to be more difficult when it comes to feeding unfortunately but rest assured that if your snake is actually hungry they will not reject food frozen thawed or live, they will eat.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    No handling the snake until it's settled in & feeding reliably (at least 3+ times for a hatchling- more is better, safer). Weighing a snake IS "handling"...don't do it! The time to weigh was right when you got him home & had to handle anyway. After that, not until he's settled in & feeding, or you can put him off eating at all. Eating is "job #1". Do NOT handle.

Many new snakes (of any age) won't eat right away, in the first week or more. They need time, & LOTS of privacy.

Feed EXACTLY what the snake was eating before you got them- make no changes until they're feeding reliably. If live, then feed live. If mouse, feed mouse. If rat, feed rat, as rodents all smell & (presumably) taste different.

Hatchlings are still learning & need to focus on just being a snake- feeling safe & secure, & learning to deal with prey- NOT with humans. So try to stay out of their way- keep their enclosure in a quiet place, block their "view" if needed. Avoid making adjustments to their home unless essential- the time to do that was before the snake arrived. Make sure the hides are the right size so the snake feels hidden.

If food is refused, don't keep offering right away- that adds to their stress & almost guarantees a failure. For a thin hatchling, wait 4-5 days before a retry; otherwise, wait a week or more before you try to feed again. Feed only at night, in dim light. Try not to be noticeable.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (08-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlykhajiit View Post
    I'd keep trying frozen thawed, what temp are you getting them too before you offer it? Also if it's eating adult mice I wouldn't call it a hatchling anymore, it's more than likely a juvenile at this point. I've found males to be more difficult when it comes to feeding unfortunately but rest assured that if your snake is actually hungry they will not reject food frozen thawed or live, they will eat.

The OP did say it's a hatchling. By "small live adult" they probably (& hopefully) meant a "hopper" mouse, and that is what hatchling BPs are normally fed, unless they're unusually small.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cuddlykhajiit (08-13-2021)

Thanks

My worry is 2 things, he looks a little thin and more triangle than he should be, and he was originally eating live when I offered frozen/thawed. So I'm wondering if I should keep trying frozen/thawed or just get him a live small adult mouse like he was eating for the breeder. I also just got a scale so I haven't had a chance to weigh him and check if he's losing weight.
    Leave him alone for another week then try to offer him a live mouse hopper. Get him eating consistently then try to switch him to frozen thawed

Also always make sure your husbandry is perfect!
    Last edited by Snow Balls; 08-13-2021 at 12:30 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

cuddlykhajiit (08-13-2021)

Thanks

That is what I meant. He was eating hoppers for the breeder. I'm heating the mouse up to somewhere are 90-100 then trying to feed. I know he's nocturnal so of course night feeding only. I haven't weighed him because I was waiting for a scale, and I still haven't weighed him since I don't want stress him out.

Thanks

That is what I meant. He was eating hoppers for the breeder. I'm heating the mouse up to somewhere are 90-100 then trying to feed. I know he's nocturnal so of course night feeding only. I haven't weighed him because I was waiting for a scale, and I still haven't weighed him since I don't want stress him out.
    Sounds like you're doing good. How is husbandry?

Thanks

My hot spot is around 88-92 with my thermostat. My cool is around 78. My humidity is staying around 65%

Thanks

My hot spot is around 88-92 with my thermostat. My cool is around 78. My humidity is staying around 65%
    Not bad, is this a new snake? And if so did you give it the first week to settle in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast