Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

1 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Pre-hospital management snakebite

Hi! I was just wondering, if I'm bitten by a venomous snake, do I elevate the bitten area or keep it below heart level? I found conflicting data online. Spencer Greene, MD, says to elevate, while Whit Gibbons, PhD, says to keep the bitten area below heart level. Both have good reasons. Elevate because if you don't the venom will stay in one spot and destroy tissue. Keep it below your heart to reduce the speed it gets to your heart and other vital organs. Which is better? Does it depend on the species of snake and what area the venom targets? Thanks!
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

Thanks

Re: Pre-hospital management snakebite

NEVER RAISE IT ABOVE YOUR HEART!!! If you do, it will help the venom circulate faster throughout your system. Second misnomer, never "suck out the venom". You should apply ice as quick as possible, try to get a pic of the snake if at all possible, and head immediately to the ER. This information was provided by my wife, who's a board certified trauma surgeon in Texas. She's seen her fair share in the ER of snake bites. A little behind the scenes baseball, in the event of a snakebite you will be rated on a 6 pt scale. They will most likely mark your "limb" to monitor swelling and spread. Anti-venom will be given based on your score on that scale. We recently had a scare, my Mother in law got bit by a baby rattlesnake, and the old rumor about smaller snakes having less venom is also incorrect, as is the thought they can't control their venom control.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-09-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Fixed typo- added a "t" to word "though" in last line

Thanks
    Thank you! I did know about not sucking.

oh wow! Was she ok?
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.