Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,438

2 members and 3,436 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

First Feeding and a Problem

This is my first feeding ever. I had Madeline post and you guys wanted to know how my first feeding went , so this is what happened: I thawed out my rat, then looked in my enclosure and my little guy was popping his head out his hide. I dangled the rodent, then he struck in about 5 seconds, being my first feeding I jumped because it surprised me, which caused him to miss. Right after though he struck again, hot, and wrapped around the rat. I watched for about a minute then left. I came back about 3 minutes later and he was starting to put it in his mouth. After about 20 seconds of watching him, he saw me, dropped the rat and started slithering to me !! I left right after that, and barely peeked my head around the corner and the rat was still on the floor and he was just smelling all over and around it. I left right after that and haven’t gone back in. It’s been about 30 minutes since then and I’m not sure what to do. This is my first ball python and first feeding so I need some help. I hope he eats it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: First Feeding and a Problem

Hopefully he’ll go back and finish his meal. Check on him in an hour or so. It sounds like he might be a shy feeder right now. Leave the feeder in overnight and see if he eats. If not, discard the prey item and try again in 7-10 days.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 07-26-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-27-2021),dakski (07-26-2021),EthanMG (07-26-2021)

Thanks

First Feeding and a Problem

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Hopefully he’ll go back and finish his meal. Sounds like he might be a shy feeder right now. Leave the feeder in overnight and see if he eats. If not, discard the prey item and try again in 7-10 days.
    Ok thanks, his tank is in my room, so should I just sleep somewhere else for tonight to not disturb him to guarantee best results?

Last edited by EthanMG; 07-26-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Don't worry! My girl was a super shy feeder at first too, and I'm jumpy so I scared her when she struck just like you did. What I would strongly suggest is what worked for my snake Miriam and me, which was just putting a blanket over the side of her tank so she couldn't see me. I still jumped (it takes a while to get used to how they strike), but it didn't scare her with that method. It just took her some time to get used to me, and it took me some time to get used to the strike so I wouldn't jump anymore. Don't beat yourself up over it, jumping is a natural thing to do. It sounds like your snake is pretty shy, so I'd recommend just keeping yourself as hidden as possible after he strikes. You might even want to leave his room completely after he gets it and leave him in low light.

Hopefully the fact that he looks like he's trying to find it is a good sign and he'll get it again - my Miriam never refuses a meal after she's struck it, at least. I'm wishing you all the best, I really hope he eats for you tonight!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-26-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Don't worry! My girl was a super shy feeder at first too, and I'm jumpy so I scared her when she struck just like you did. What I would strongly suggest is what worked for my snake Miriam and me, which was just putting a blanket over the side of her tank so she couldn't see me. I still jumped (it takes a while to get used to how they strike), but it didn't scare her with that method. It just took her some time to get used to me, and it took me some time to get used to the strike so I wouldn't jump anymore. Don't beat yourself up over it, jumping is a natural thing to do. It sounds like your snake is pretty shy, so I'd recommend just keeping yourself as hidden as possible after he strikes. You might even want to leave his room completely after he gets it and leave him in low light.

Hopefully the fact that he looks like he's trying to find it is a good sign and he'll get it again - my Miriam never refuses a meal after she's struck it, at least. I'm wishing you all the best, I really hope he eats for you tonight!
    Thanks so so much! Glad to hear what you had to say. He doesn’t seem to be shy when he’s about to strike, it just seems to be when he is eating. I know over time I’ll get used to the strike, but he still quickly struck soon after. For now on, I’ll leave and turn the lights off for at least an hour after he strikes. I’ll check in about thirty minutes to see if he ate and put an update. Thanks again!

Thanks

UPDATE: I just checked back on him and I don’t see the rodent anymore! He’s back in his hide with his head popped out again, so I can’t see if there’s a lump inside. Is it possible he moved the rat somewhere else or if I don’t see it where it was does that mean he ate it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EthanMG For This Useful Post:

arpowell (07-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    UPDATE: I just checked back on him and I don’t see the rodent anymore! He’s back in his hide with his head popped out again, so I can’t see if there’s a lump inside. Is it possible he moved the rat somewhere else or if I don’t see it where it was does that mean he ate it?

Sounds promising! My thought is definitely that he's eaten it if you don't see it. I don't know many snakes who will push rodents all over the place, so that sounds like good news. You might want to have a better look around his tank if you'd like to right now, if only for your own peace of mind so you know he's eaten, but if the rat's not where you left it, it's probably become dinner.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

EthanMG (07-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Sounds promising! My thought is definitely that he's eaten it if you don't see it. I don't know many snakes who will push rodents all over the place, so that sounds like good news. You might want to have a better look around his tank if you'd like to right now, if only for your own peace of mind so you know he's eaten, but if the rat's not where you left it, it's probably become dinner.
    He’s in his hide still. I can’t see much of hos enclosure because of all the clutter I put, and I don’t want to open the enclosure or move anything to stress him out because of regurgitation and blow the chance of him eating if he had not yet. I’m going to see if he’s out in the next hour or two. I’m leaving the lights off for now on hopes he comes out. Thanks for helping me out it means a lot! Glad that he most likely ate!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

It sounds like he ate! Congratulations may be in order!! You can look around his cage tomorrow. Going forward if he’s in your room you’ll probably have to dim the lights and steer clear until after he eats at least until he’s well established. Eventually your presence won’t bother him. I have 11 snakes and I don’t think they could care less if I’m in the room. I still watch them eat sometimes. It’s still fascinating to me even though I’ve seen it a thousand times. Congratulations again!!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-27-2021),Bogertophis (07-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EthanMG View Post
    He’s in his hide still. I can’t see much of hos enclosure because of all the clutter I put, and I don’t want to open the enclosure or move anything to stress him out because of regurgitation and blow the chance of him eating if he had not yet. I’m going to see if he’s out in the next hour or two. I’m leaving the lights off for now on hopes he comes out. Thanks for helping me out it means a lot! Glad that he most likely ate!

You can just wait .. if it is lying around somewhere you will smell it in a day or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-27-2021),EthanMG (07-27-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast