Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

0 members and 3,017 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: One hatchling refusing to eat

Just curious how is your tub setup? They will not eat for various reasons from too hot, too cold, too big of a hide (security). Don't know how you feel about braining f/t mice but i'd had success with that as well. I use a small plant saucer to make snug hide, and place a brained F/T fuzzy in the hide. Usually overnight they eat but if that fails in my opinion a little stress for the hatchling is much better than watching it deteriorate. If you do assist feed be prepared to have it spit it out and having to repeat the process (push the pinky on the upper lip to open the mouth, insert feeder, close mouth, pull prey a little back to catch on teeth and place BP back down). Good luck, none eating hatchling is the most frustrating part of breeding.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mdb730 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (07-07-2021)

Thanks

One hatchling refusing to eat

Quote Originally Posted by mdb730 View Post
    Just curious how is your tub setup? They will not eat for various reasons from too hot, too cold, too big of a hide (security). Don't know how you feel about braining f/t mice but i'd had success with that as well. I use a small plant saucer to make snug hide, and place a brained F/T fuzzy in the hide. Usually overnight they eat but if that fails in my opinion a little stress for the hatchling is much better than watching it deteriorate. If you do assist feed be prepared to have it spit it out and having to repeat the process (push the pinky on the upper lip to open the mouth, insert feeder, close mouth, pull prey a little back to catch on teeth and place BP back down). Good luck, none eating hatchling is the most frustrating part of breeding.
    Right now all my hatchlings are in a C Serpents V-18 hatchling rack. Hot spot is 88 and my snake room sits at 80. He has a little reptile basics black hide, he also has cocoblox as substrate. I also have the front of his tub covered with duct tape so he doesn’t see me moving around my snake room. I have never brained a feeder but I’m not opposed to it. Should I try to leave it in his hide tonight even though I offered him food last night? Could possibly trying a live rat fuzzy help anything? He also is never in his hide, he likes to cram himself behind it. That must be more comfortable somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snow Balls; 07-07-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CK BALLS View Post
    No, I’m dealing with live prey not frozen thawed

In the wild (ie. without human assistance), some snakes just don't have as much "drive to survive" as others, & they don't make it- they feed something else. I hate to say it, but in a way, it's for the best, so "only the strong survive". But obviously no one wants to give up on c/b snakes, & it might just be that this snake is actually intimidated by live & would actually prefer f/t or f/k (fresh killed).

In your shoes, I'd try both f/t & f/k prey, including all the various methods (zombie-dance, leave overnight, "hair-dryer" method, etc). As pet stores have often found, some snakes will eat if left undisturbed in a fairly small paper bag with prey overnight. I will add that I've never found any benefit to "braining" f/t rodents, & there's a much easier way to release more scent anyway- just pinch-damage the rodent's nose with your feeding tongs- I've seen that work. There are even a few snakes (not usually BPs though) that get inspired for a first feeding when the f/t prey gets a little "ripe", so don't be too quick to remove f/t prey left overnight. It's worth trying everything before assist-feeding, IMO.

With the live prey, have you tried leaving a large fuzzy mouse or small rat pup (eyes NOT open, they're too active & intimidating for some snake's first meal) in a good-sized heavy (tip proof) shallow bowl overnight? Because I've found some snakes find their courage after they can watch from slightly above (& out of the reach of) their prey- as from the edge of the heavy bowl, while the prey crawls around. In the hours overnight, some snakes finally figure it out & get better from there.

And I'm sure you know, but just to add that you never want to keep trying too often, as that just stresses shyer snakes & may cancel out their feeble-feeding instincts, as does handling.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-07-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-07-2021),ballpythonluvr (07-07-2021),nikkubus (07-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Right now all my hatchlings are in a C Serpents V-18 hatchling rack. Hot spot is 88 and my snake room sits at 80. He has a little reptile basics black hide, he also has cocoblox as substrate. I also have the front of his tub covered with duct tape so he doesn’t see me moving around my snake room. I have never brained a feeder but I’m not opposed to it. Should I try to leave it in his hide tonight even though I offered him food last night? Could possibly trying a live rat fuzzy help anything? He also is never in his hide, he likes to cram himself behind it. That must be more comfortable somehow

If you have been trying with mice, rats may work. I haven't fed live as a go-to for a very long time, more as a last resort, but usually I have better luck feeding live mice vs rats to hatchlings because the correct size have a bit more movement. A fuzzy rat may be too big for a first meal, but use your judgement, maybe a really borderline pinky-fuzzy rat.

Braining has worked pretty well for me in the past with colubrids, but it doesn't seem to work as well for me with BPs. Still worth a shot. You can try a but of tuna juice to scent as well, and that could even work by dabbing it on live on the head.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (07-09-2021)

Thanks

Have you tried a multi? I have tried a few methods but what works for me is letting the prey defrost during the day and then submerge in really hot water, dry off on a paper towel and then offer.
    Sometimes you have to dance the prey around like it moving and that normally works.
    Definitely try multis next, keep us posted

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmac View Post
    Have you tried a multi?
    What is a multi?

Last edited by Snow Balls; 07-09-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

What is a multi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

Unfortunately ASFs are illegal in California so that isn’t an option for me

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Zincubus: Thanks for explaining what a "multi" is, I've never heard an ASF called that before either... I was like, "a what?"

And wow, it looks like they can nurse 2 dozen pinks at a time! I can totally see why they might need to be regulated (prohibited)- we hardly need such prolific rodents taking over farming areas where they don't currently exist or belong.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-10-2021),Zincubus (07-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Zincubus: Thanks for explaining what a "multi" is, I've never heard an ASF called that before either... I was like, "a what?"

And wow, it looks like they can nurse 2 dozen pinks at a time! I can totally see why they might need to be regulated (prohibited)- we hardly need such prolific rodents taking over farming areas where they don't currently exist or belong.
    I’ve used them before for a reluctant feeder .. without success sadly . Frozen / thawed.

In the uk they were bladdy expensive and had to be ordered specially by the pet store .

They supposedly have a very distinctive smell ( and taste presumably ) that some snakes go crazy for ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 07-09-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast