Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

0 members and 2,923 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Battling with my temperatures! Frustrated as can be.

Literally I’m so frustrated! I finally got my temperatures right. I keep 81-82 Ambient on the warm side with a 88-90 hot spot. 79-80 Ambient on the cool side with 78-80 substrate temp in the cool hide. I just got new hides. They’re the black hides with only one opening. I wake up this morning and do my daily IR gun temp check. My warm hide was 92.5!? And my cool hide was 81.7!? Wtf is going on!!! Do some hides “trap” more heat? I am just so beyond frustrated. My heat mat is controlled by a thermostat. I have it set for 92 which kept the glass at 90. It’s been that way for over a month. All of a sudden I woke up to that. It has to be the hides! Nothing else changed. Well that was an easy fix. Dropped the temp down and now it’s fine. Now my cool side is what I’m worried about. How do I manage to keep the ambient temperature up on the cool
    side without it effecting my hide temp? I mean 78-79 ambient and I’m getting 81.7 inside the hide with the IR gun. It worries me to drop it down to 77F on the thermostat because at night my temp in my snake room
    starts to drop and it effects my enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Battling with my temperatures! Frustrated as can be.

Guess it’s down to a few factors maybe nothing to do with you or your set up ..

I don’t really think it’s worth worrying about a couple of degrees .. many keep Royals at 92F anyways

Maybe the different materials the hides are made of effect the temps .. plus the house temps ( maybe even outside temps ) may even be a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Those numbers are not terrible and no matter what you will have some fluctuating. That's why many, including me, set hot spots in the 85-88 range. That gives some room for it to be a few degrees higher without issue.

As for the cool side I don't see any issue and wouldn't do anything.....81 is pretty much perfect. Not that dropping to 77 would be an issue though. I'm really not understanding the stress for the cool side. Seems fine to me.

So I would suggest relaxing and dropping the hot spot a few degrees.

My snake room during this time of year has big fluctuations in temp and is warm enough that my UTHs or RHPs get a break barely having to do anything.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-26-2021)

Thanks

Re: Battling with my temperatures! Frustrated as can be.

Thanks for the feedback! It’s just been a constant battle with my tank set up. If I try to lower it a degree it then lowers my warm side. After playing around so much I basically have a 81-82 ambient warm side with a 90 hot spot. My cool side is 79-81 ambient but when IR gun in the cool hide I get 80-81. This is towards the front though. Like the opening of the hide. He pretty much blocks the front of the hide opening with coco husk and sits way in the back. So I’m unable to get a reading in the back. Honestly I do believe it gets cooler in the back of the hide. I’m just always afraid that 80-81 ambient on that side is not cool enough but I can’t really get it any better!