Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

1 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would put the heat mat on the hot end set to 90 or just above by placing the thermostat probe on the heat mat, and then checking what the temp is inside the enclosure under the substrate. You want it no more than 90 inside.

I would put the CHE near the center, but slightly towards the hot end, set to 84F ambient under it about an inch above substrate and see what temps you get ambient in the hot and cool side. Your ambient shouldn't be 88-90, that's too hot. If the cool side is still under 78, I would slowly move the CHE towards the cold side while turning it down a tad. If the cool side is above 82, I would just turn it down a bit. Any adjustments or movement of the CHE should be done after several hours, as it takes quite some time for everything to stabilize.

If the snake is already in this enclosure, I would start the CHE dimmed to just barely on and slowly turn it up after several hours as needed. Too hot will cause problems a lot faster than too cold.

CHE is not ideal, and if you have the money, RHP (radiant heat panel) is a better choice for ball pythons. It will dry the air a lot less, and won't cause heat spikes like a CHE that is too high wattage will. A dimmer is better than nothing, but as your house ambient changes, it will change how hot the CHE is actually making your enclosure, and is not ideal either. A pulse proportional thermostat is a better way to regulate a CHE that can adjust as needed when you house temp changes.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-16-2021),Bogertophis (06-15-2021),Hugsplox (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Re: 30 gallon enosure

Ok sounds great thank you,

So, the prob for heat mat thermostat is put between glass and heat mat, then thermometer prob below substrate centered with heat mat. For heat mat is on off thermostat ok?

CHE thermostat prob 1" above substrate centered with CHE

Adjust CHE depending on cold side temps.

Let me know if I got that right.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matty88 View Post

So, the prob for heat mat thermostat is put between glass and heat mat, then thermometer prob below substrate centered with heat mat. For heat mat is on off thermostat ok?

Adjust CHE depending on cold side temps.

Let me know if I got that right.

Thanks
    I would probably move the thermometer probe that you have over your heat mat. Might not be THAT important because it's not controlling anything, but your snake is probably gonna move it, lay on it, pee on it, etc etc and it'll give you incorrect readings. Personally I don't have probes over my heat mat I just check it twice a day with my temp gun to make sure it's doing what it needs to do.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2021),nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I would probably move the thermometer probe that you have over your heat mat. Might not be THAT important because it's not controlling anything, but your snake is probably gonna move it, lay on it, pee on it, etc etc and it'll give you incorrect readings. Personally I don't have probes over my heat mat I just check it twice a day with my temp gun to make sure it's doing what it needs to do.
    I agree that snakes tend to move it and get it dirty, but it's a good way to get a reading while first setting things up that is a bit more accurate than using a temp gun, because as soon as you move the substrate to check the bottom of the enclosure, it's exposed to air and cools down so it's not the most accurate way to figure out what the snake would be touching if he burrows. Once everything is set up and stabilized, a temp gun is probably the most useful way to check and that's what I use on established enclosures.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2021),Hugsplox (06-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I agree that snakes tend to move it and get it dirty, but it's a good way to get a reading while first setting things up that is a bit more accurate than using a temp gun, because as soon as you move the substrate to check the bottom of the enclosure, it's exposed to air and cools down so it's not the most accurate way to figure out what the snake would be touching if he burrows. Once everything is set up and stabilized, a temp gun is probably the most useful way to check and that's what I use on established enclosures.
    Agreed, sorry I read this like the snake was already in there, I'm worrying about the wrong things obviously lol.

Thanks

I would put the heat mat on the hot end set to 90 or just above by placing the thermostat probe on the heat mat, and then checking what the temp is inside the enclosure under the substrate. You want it no more than 90 inside.

I would put the CHE near the center, but slightly towards the hot end, set to 84F ambient under it about an inch above substrate and see what temps you get ambient in the hot and cool side. Your ambient shouldn't be 88-90, that's too hot. If the cool side is still under 78, I would slowly move the CHE towards the cold side while turning it down a tad. If the cool side is above 82, I would just turn it down a bit. Any adjustments or movement of the CHE should be done after several hours, as it takes quite some time for everything to stabilize.

If the snake is already in this enclosure, I would start the CHE dimmed to just barely on and slowly turn it up after several hours as needed. Too hot will cause problems a lot faster than too cold.

CHE is not ideal, and if you have the money, RHP (radiant heat panel) is a better choice for ball pythons. It will dry the air a lot less, and won't cause heat spikes like a CHE that is too high wattage will. A dimmer is better than nothing, but as your house ambient changes, it will change how hot the CHE is actually making your enclosure, and is not ideal either. A pulse proportional thermostat is a better way to regulate a CHE that can adjust as needed when you house temp changes.
    I've decided this is the method I will use as it really seems like the most ideal for me and the climate I'm in.

So that being said, what size of heat mat would you recommend? An 8x12 or a smaller one?

My terrarium is 36Lx12.5Dx15.5H inches

Thanks
    It's a good rule of thumb to have the heating element no more than 1/3 the size of the enclosure. For this enclosure an 8x12 would work great.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    It's a good rule of thumb to have the heating element no more than 1/3 the size of the enclosure. For this enclosure an 8x12 would work great.
    Perfect so would you place the 12x8 heat mat so that it covers most of the Length of the tank so 12 out of the 36 inches

Or

So that it covers the depth completely 12" out of the 12"

Hope this makes sense lol it does in my head haha

Thanks
    Cover the 12 of 36 and have the 8 centered on the 12

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (06-17-2021),Matty88 (06-17-2021)

Thanks

Perfect so would you place the 12x8 heat mat so that it covers most of the Length of the tank so 12 out of the 36 inches

Or

So that it covers the depth completely 12" out of the 12"

Hope this makes sense lol it does in my head haha
    Cover the 12 of 36 and have the 8 centered on the 12
    I agree with this 100%.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Matty88 (06-17-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast