Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

2 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ball python swollen neck

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Please back that up.
    There was once a large snake (I think it was a Retic or Burm) that ate a crocodile that wasn't completely dead and the crocodile attacked after it was partially eaten and it broke out of the side of the snake. At the end both of them died. However this is not typical and I don't see it happening in captivity or any scenario like this.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, I've heard of that- snakes have been injured by claws etc when regurgitating freshly swallowed prey. Snakes are amazing but not invulnerable...
    I believe @bcr229 actually had a snake that required an operation and/or antibiotic treatment for an internal scratch from a feeder that became infected? Certainly a rare occurrence, but certainly not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),Hugsplox (06-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    There was once a large snake (I think it was a Retic or Burm) that ate a crocodile that wasn't completely dead and the crocodile attacked after it was partially eaten and it broke out of the side of the snake. At the end both of them died. However this is not typical and I don't see it happening in captivity or any scenario like this.
    I saw that. I've seen a few snakes in nature eat things too large or not exactly dead with the same results. That's not what I was talking about here. I have never seen a chunk of coco come to life and cut it's easy or of a snake.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Yes I have seen that example, yes its rare, Don't know if it was true as the internet is the internet. But its possible. I would expect the snake to regurgitate a meal that was too large or causing damage. (if that was possible) I also saw a python with an deer anteater that pierced its body and poked out. (in the international year zoo publication years ago) In that example the acid burnt it off, it feel off and the wild retic was ok.

But this is just a piece of wood in the snakes neck. that can happen with some substrates and an odd bit of larger sharp wood. but again is very very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality balls View Post
    So i feed my ball pythons couple days ago and was doin my usual spot cleaning when i noticed that one had a swollen area towards her neck which I believe to be mabye a piece of coco block? Ive never had this happen before and contacted a vet near me that deals with reptiles. Ive never had anything serious happen to any of my pythons which required vet attention any recommendations on the best vet i can go to for ball pythons in the bay area?
    There are still enzymes in that area that can soften it. if not the strong stomach acid that can dissolve bone, Bodies have a way of removing foreign objects naturally. If not I guess its tweezers to pull it out by a vet.
    But it should be examined, it could be anything. for example a syst.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-06-2021 at 04:32 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

KMG (06-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I believe @bcr229 actually had a snake that required an operation and/or antibiotic treatment for an internal scratch from a feeder that became infected? Certainly a rare occurrence, but certainly not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will certainly agree that it is possible. I didn't say it wasn't. I also agree that "rare" is a good way to describe it.
    KMG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Ascended (06-06-2021)

Thanks

I saw that. I've seen a few snakes in nature eat things too large or not exactly dead with the same results. That's not what I was talking about here. I have never seen a chunk of coco come to life and cut it's easy or of a snake.
    It was an example that snakes can get internal scratches and they aren't bulletproof. It depends how sharp it is, hopefully the vet can take it out easily, my biggest worry is that by pulling it up you can scratch the internals, which is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yes I have seen that example, yes its rare, Don't know if it was true as the internet is the internet. But its possible. I would expect the snake to regurgitate a meal that was too large or causing damage. (if that was possible) I also saw a python with an deer anteater that pierced its body and poked out. (in the international year zoo publication years ago) In that example the acid burnt it off, it feel off and the wild retic was ok.

But this is just a piece of wood in the snakes neck. that can happen with some substrates and an odd bit of larger sharp wood. but again is very very rare.

There are still enzymes in that area that can soften it. if not the strong stomach acid that can dissolve bone, Bodies have a way of removing foreign objects naturally. If not I guess its tweezers to pull it out by a vet.
    I did some more research and there are multiple cases of this happening with videos and pictures. So it has happened. However if this substrate has a sharp point then it could cause damage by pulling it back out. However I think it likely is substrate because cysts don't form overnight and it was directly after eating.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 06-06-2021 at 04:35 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Ascended (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    This has snowballed into something else completely.

Coco in the troat to exploding snakes. That's a heck of a jump.
    KMG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Ascended (06-06-2021)

Thanks

It was an example that snakes can get internal scratches and they aren't bulletproof. It depends how sharp it is, hopefully the vet can take it out easily, my biggest worry is that by pulling it up you can scratch the internals, which is possible.

I did some more research and there are multiple cases of this happening with videos and pictures. So it has happened. However if this substrate has a sharp point then it could cause damage by pulling it back out. However I think it likely is substrate because cysts don't form overnight and it was directly after eating.
    I never said they were bulletproof.

I've lost two to cancer. Something Texas A&M couldn't identify. So yeah I know they can have issues.

In the grand scheme of things how many rats get fed to snakes every year without issue? What's the percentage of those with issues? I'm guessing it's a very small fraction.

Y'all are focused on the wrong thing, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to let y'all run with it. I'll wait for the OP to post up an update.
    KMG

Thanks

I agree, but leaving it in could cause infection.

I did some more research and there are multiple cases of this happening with videos and pictures. So it has happened. =g.
    Again I agreed and sited my own reference. I just dont believe everything n the internet without question.

This has snowballed into something else completely.

Coco in the troat to exploding snakes. That's a heck of a jump.
    Agreed and so to my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

And yes a cyst can appear fast with an infection.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),Erie_herps (06-06-2021),KMG (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    That snake died, the infection was found post-mortem. The only outward signs was rapid shedding and the snake's eyes actually swelled from the pressure. The vet's theory was that the infection entered via a scratch in the snake's throat.

The savu I lost a few weeks ago had an irregular neck swelling that turned out to be cancer.

The OP only thinks his snake's swelling is from a piece of substrate lodged in the snake's throat. Until a vet looks at it he doesn't know what is really wrong.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021),Erie_herps (06-06-2021),Hugsplox (06-07-2021),jmcrook (06-06-2021)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast