Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,646

0 members and 2,646 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici

Thread: RIP - Bailey

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,719 Times in 3,871 Posts

RIP - Bailey

We lost our 9+ year old lab mix, Bailey, yesterday. Katie rescued her when she was about a year old, supposedly, but was never 100% sure.

I had the pleasure of being Bailey's dad unofficially for almost 5 years and officially for about 4 years.

She herniated a disc in her back about a year ago. It is unclear when or how exactly that happened. However, degenerative back issues either led to the injury and/or complicated it. When things started to get bad for Bailey and she was noticeably uncomfortable early this year, we took her to a neurologist and even had an MRI. The neurologist said operating was high risk and low reward due to the other back issues and we started a regiment of medications to help manage Bailey's discomfort. That went pretty well for a bit, and the neurologist was hopeful we could manage her discomfort for some time.

Sadly, over the past month, she regressed and was having trouble with the doggie door and more trouble walking. We were getting up several times a night to help her in and out of the house and back on the bed (even though she had a stool that been helpful prior). Last week things took a dramatic turn and we upped her meds again, including prednisone. Unfortunately, there was really no effect and Sunday night she was clearly starting to be in pain and have some serious issues. We were taking her out the side door instead of her using the dog door and she was having trouble getting comfortable.

Sunday night was rough, and Monday we called the vet to schedule a "quality of life assessment," with the possibility of euthanasia if we were all in agreement.

Monday night I was up almost all night with her and she was clearly distressed, in pain, and sad. I sat with her for hours telling her I loved her and that she hadn't done anything wrong. She would just stand panting and with her tail between her legs and her head down. When Katie got up and looked at her, she knew too. Bailey was telling us it was time.

The vet saw her at 9:30AM, took one look at her, told us we had done, "everything and more" for her that could be done and that the kindest thing we could do was to let her go.

Bailey was euthanized shortly after and died in Katie and my arms. That was appropriate. She was the worlds best cuddle bug. She would spoon with us and always slept right in between me and Katie.

Bailey went very peacefully and crossed the rainbow bridge to her brother Banning. The three other dogs seemed to understand, and before we took her to the vet, said their goodbyes and gave her nuzzles and kisses.

Bailey will be missed terribly. She was a wonderful dog. So emotionally aware and so kind and sweet.

We were blessed to have had her in our lives. I am also incredibly thankful that I moved in with Katie 4 years ago and Bailey had new brothers ((Tyler and Banning (RIP)) and a loving dad who also worked from home. Bailey loved hanging out with me in the office while I worked and appreciated having one of her humans home most of the time. Katie, being a PT, worked 5 days a week out of the house and having been rescued and possibly abandoned, Bailey suffered from separation anxiety. She wasn't terrible about it, but much preferred having me home with her most of the time.

RIP sweet, sweet, Bailey.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-13-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-13-2021),Kam (05-13-2021),richardhind1972 (05-13-2021)