Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

1 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Patience pays off

Just a little update on Brannagh our big aggressive female ball python. We've only had her since September 17, 2005 so not really long in the scheme of things. She came to us so aggressive but with a lot of patience, finding the ways to handle her that didn't make the situation worse, using Adam's trick of balled up newspaper, and just plain old routine, routine, routine I think we've turned a significant corner with this big beautiful girl.

She has been getting calmer, though is still pretty protective of her turf (her tub). Last night Mz B came out and actually had a lovely time exploring the couch and Mike. Not one attempt to bite, no strike positions and her body was relaxed and supple (she's usually hard and tense to the touch). She actually on her own approached and crawled willingly all over Mike. He was able to stroke her gently and handle her without gloves.

She even allowed us weigh her and put her back in her enclosure without incident. This is pretty major as Brannagh almost always gets difficult around her enclosure (I have no idea why a snake would be cage aggressive???)

We are so stoked about this! We know Brannagh could turn in a second and don't trust her with the kids or anywhere near our faces but this is a major step for her and for us and I just wanted to share with you all.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Patience pays off

Oh that's wonderful Jo!! Congrats! Who woulda thought she'd calm down so quick, if at all! That's great. I'll keep my fingers crossed she's not trying to lull you into a false sense of security, so she can nail ya again!! LOL!!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

aw good for her! i bet there is an inner sweetheart lurking somewhere down deep in there. of course sometimes even sweethearts have their moments, but it sounds like she's doing great!
    - Emily

Thanks

Thanks guys!

Well she may never be as trustworthy as Orlah, the other big girl who is a total sweetheart but that's okay. I've always admired Brannagh's spirit and acknowledge she's taught Mike and I so much through handling her.

We are amazed that she's come this far this fast though it feels like forever since we got her and Orlah.

Of course, now that I've posted this....I'll get nailed by Brann tomorrow! LOL Snakes like to embarrass their owners whenever possible I think!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Of course, now that I've posted this....I'll get nailed by Brann tomorrow! LOL Snakes like to embarrass their owners whenever possible I think!

~~Jo~~
    Watch it be Orlah that nails you instead! LOL

Great job with Brann!

VP of Cool
    Thanks

That is great news Jo! I'm sure in another year of so she will be a total sweetheart
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

That's really great, Jo. I joined here the same time you were posting about her and remember it well. It must give you a really nice warm feeling to think she has calmed down and trusts her humans now - I guess they all have their own little personalities Do you think snakes have preferences for their humans? Like parrots normally tend to prefer males vs females and have a favorite person. Just curious as I still know so little about them. I swear my little Emily was trying to get to me yesterday when our friend was holding her (and he is used to snakes - he keeps VERY BIG ones including cobras).

Thanks

I do think our snakes show a preference in a basic way to certain people they get used to in their world. I don't think it's that they "like" us in the normal understanding of that word really but more they understand in their snake brain that this or that person poses no threat to them.

A good example of this would be Saoirse, the WC who never ate in captivity as far as we can determine. Mike was the first human that she took food from. The first human to hold her when she finally came out of her tight, defensive balling up. To this day Saoirse will purposefully move to Mike if she can. She is more relaxed when he handles her than when I do. She takes food better if Mike offers it. It's actually very heartwarming and touching to watch her with him. For Saoirse, Mike must represent safety to some degree I guess.

Rionach is my sucky snake. If she's out and something startles her she will slither back to me quickly. I think for Ri Ri I'm just a big, warm human hide LOL.

I know they don't have big mammal type brains but I do see a difference in each snake and how they react to the humans in their world and the household in general so I guess they somehow are able to classify things and people in a basic way that works well for them.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Jo, just from my limited one snake observations! LOL

Kashmire will be sitting in his hide with his head poked out. Karl walks by (who never handles him) and he pulls his head further into the hide. I walk by or stop to say hello and he starts to come out of the hide to the glass as if to say "Hey, I know you! You're the lady that drops mice in my enclosure!!"

Registered User snakelovingrannie's Avatar
    Thanks

That is wonderful that she is calming down. I can't wait until I can start taking Jackson (he is 6 month old) out I have had him almost 2 weeks and have very patiently (???) left him alone like the advice given on this group. Just a couple more days and I am going to get him out...i can't wait.!!!!!
    2.0 Ball Python (Jackson and Lee)
    1.0 BCI (Beauregard)
    0.1 Golden Retriever (Belle)
    1.0 Dachshund (Oliver)
    4.0 Cats (Riley, Benjamin, Henry Elliot)
    0.1 PET mouse (Squeaky)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast