Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

1 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: BP not Eating

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: BP not Eating

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You can find out a great deal upon receipt of a newly arrived snake: their overall health- good vs poor body weight- possible defects (such as kinks), mites, respiratory or other obvious signs of illness, the general accuracy of the description as sold (does it match or is it possibly the wrong one?), etc.
    Exactly

These 30 day return deals at box stores, sure you can take your snake back, so can everyone else. They then drop that snake right back in with the others in the store to spread whatever it may have picked up from living with the person that returned it. Then fast forward a day or two, someone else buys the snake with no knowledge that it's already been sold and returned and may have an issue. Your logic, or so it seems, that this is a better system than what the breeder offers is quite frankly ridiculous.

Most return policies set by breeders are there to ensure that you get what you pay for. They give you that live arrival guarantee, and 24 hours to identify any issues, with the snake, not issues with you or your husbandry, but with the animal. The return policy isn't there for you to utilize because you decided 5 weeks down the road that it's too hard.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2021),jmcrook (05-21-2021),Spicey (05-21-2021)

Thanks

Wow, I never thought about that, the B.P that is on sale for $49 could be a returned snake? i just hope whoever buys it next can get it right so that it can be happy and eating soon....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas S For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    Wow, I never thought about that, the B.P that is on sale for $49 could be a returned snake? i just hope whoever buys it next can get it right so that it can be happy and eating soon....
    The last 2 BP's I took in were from a pet store, I was ask if I was interested in "2 aggressive" snakes .

Now we're talking about 70 gram ball pythons, stressed out like crazy, they (store employees) were trying to use tongs to get one and were going to get the "bite gloves" to get them out for me.

I told them not to bother,picked them up and put them in separate boxes (they were housed together). and took them home (for 30.00 each).

I had a minor mite issue, a regurgitation,3 vet visits and a ton of info from the members of this forum to get every thing corrected. now they are doing great. They eat great,shed like they should and can be handled with no issues

I happened to be able to take them in knowing there might be issues. I can't save 'em all but have adopted 5 unwanted snakes so far.

And yes I understand the pet store just got more, but I have a soft heart for what's right in front of me at the moment.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2021),EL-Ziggy (05-25-2021),Zincubus (05-24-2021)

Thanks

great story! it takes a lot of courage and patience and some $$$ to do what you did. glad it worked out for you in the end, got to watch out for too much of a soft heart, lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    ...I was ask if I was interested in "2 aggressive" snakes ....
    99 times out of 100, they're just terrified snakes & not the least bit "aggressive", especially when you treat them gently. Poor snakes, always getting blamed by clueless people.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

99 times out of 100, they're just terrified snakes & not the least bit "aggressive", especially when you treat them gently. Poor snakes, always getting blamed by clueless people.
    That’s so true !!

I’m constantly amazed / baffled whenever I read about an aggressive Royal / Ball ( even then it’s a rare event ) as I’ve never ever come across one ...

I’m truly not convinced there are any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Yep, Poor Bitey, when I was holding her at the pet store, She thought she was a Cobra she was so stressed... Coiled and striking at everybody (people watching me, and the ones walking by).

Now when we get her out she coils up by me or my daughter and just watches the world go by. no issues handling her at all

She hasn't struck or bit since a week or so after she came home, and I got her stabilized in her own enclosure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    great story! it takes a lot of courage and patience and some $$$ to do what you did. glad it worked out for you in the end, got to watch out for too much of a soft heart, lol
    With the prices of some morphs I've seen, the $$$ isn't really an issue. The snakes I've adopted are $20 to $30 each, but still require the enclosure food, hides ect that a $500.00 or $1500 snake would and I would take them to a "well snake visit" to my vet just to have them checked out too.

And being I'm not a breeder, and will not breed my snakes, they are just pets. I'm actually saving money. (well so far, as I haven't had a major vet bill with any of them yet)

We all have our own reasons for the snakes we acquire, I'm just the guy that takes in rescues to try to give them a home.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2021)

Thanks

nothing wrong with why you take in the new ones, thats what i meant by$$$ is major vet bills, knock on wood!!!

Thanks

So far my B.P has eaten 3 times live now, i want to try again with the F/T feed soon, but i have so many concerns when i think about it..I feel like the Grim Reaper picking out a mouse from the pet store that im sending to its death bed in a few hours later..The last time i did it, The mouse bite me, no big deal, but i worry about my B.P getting bitten by a mouse or a rat later on if i keep this up. I do like i should, drop the mouse in the enclosure, turn out the lights and walk away..Some times i check in about 10 minutes later and the snake still has not eaten the mouse yet, its almost like she likes the thrill of the hunt? She will be 1 year old in July and adult mice will not be enough pretty soon, the switch from adult mice to small rats is approaching..One big problem i have to address now is, my bonding with the snake, when she went 5 weeks without eating, i did not holder then for obvious reasons, then after the 1st live feeding, came a lengthily shed period(she did eat during that) so i did not want to handle her during that, dah...She hides all the time, very rarely does she come out.. When i first got her, she would come out at nights and "play", she liked to wind herself around the temperature gauge mounted on the wall of her enclosure.. What im getting at is, she will have to switch from live to frozen, maybe from mice to rats and and from a nice dark enclosure alone to my ugly "mug"a foot or so away from her, waving a limp dead rodent in front of her waiting for a strike, maybe 5, 10, 15 minutes or longer? is there even a enough room for her to strike at the rodent when she's all balled up in her hide? now im reading all the tricks other people use, wet or dry rodent, use blow dryer, stick a needle in rodents head for extra sent, just so many, sometimes i feel overwhelmed by all of this...which all goes back to the main reason for all these problems, ME!!! thx for reading thru all of this

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast