Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

0 members and 3,317 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    If it were me I'd offer $25 for just the critter, and the owner could sell the tank and other stuff separately because I don't need any of it. That said, I already have another separate empty QT setup, a good herp vet, and plenty of credit on the AmEx should it be needed. So, I'm in a different place in life than you are.

Once you get to a place in life where you have more room and resources, and you become known as "that person who will take in unwanted snakes", trust me, you will have plenty of opportunities. I haven't bought a snake in years but somehow I keep ending up with more...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-22-2021),Bogertophis (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021),Hugsplox (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: That feeling when you're tempted to rescue...

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If it were me I'd offer $25 for just the critter, and the owner could sell the tank and other stuff separately because I don't need any of it. That said, I already have another separate empty QT setup, a good herp vet, and plenty of credit on the AmEx should it be needed. So, I'm in a different place in life than you are.

Once you get to a place in life where you have more room and resources, and you become known as "that person who will take in unwanted snakes", trust me, you will have plenty of opportunities. I haven't bought a snake in years but somehow I keep ending up with more...

If I'm not mistaken, there's another user on here that mentioned she doesn't purchase snakes anymore either and just takes in rescues. I believe she posted about it on the "dream reptile" thread that's been going for awhile and had quite the collection of just rescues. Point is, bcr is right, there's always unwanted snakes and other reptiles, and plenty of time for you to give them a second chance.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-22-2021 at 08:56 AM. Reason: poor grammar :)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Giving this guy $150 to take the 'problem' off his hands... You may have potentially caused more suffering because 1. He learned no lesson or regret from this 2. He learned people like you will fly in and do it again should he no longer want the next pet 3. You are now responsible for his stupidity.

I had done dog and cat rescues as well as foster. It's no fun knowing you put your money, heart and time into taking care of a sick animal while the person responsible for this gets away with it to do it to another animal. Good thing is that the rescues won't pay a dime for the surrenders to dissuade idiots from repeating the neglect again. If that person really care where that snake is going, he or she wouldn't be asking for that much money.

Remember that you was not the one who did this to the snake. Sometimes walking away is what is needed to be done and take care of yourself. Think about what you can do with that $150, including adding enrichment for your current snake or donate it to USARK or a charity of your choice. Or like me, buy some yummy delicious meal for you and your family to enjoy (I'm sure they will thank you for it). Anything but giving this punk money so that he can do it all over again.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-23-2021),bcr229 (03-22-2021),Bogertophis (03-22-2021),Hugsplox (03-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    You can’t save them all. Me, I’d offer $25 an come up to $50 tops. This coming from the guy that’s picking up two more Sour Mugs today.

Good Luck!
    We think alike... And as bcr229 said also, I'd offer for the snake only because jerk-owners like this only think about "all the money they've invested", it's rarely about what's good for the snake they've neglected.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-22-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-23-2021),Hugsplox (03-22-2021),Kam (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Lots of sage advice. As expected of a forum with this many quality people (seriously, I've learned so much from this place alone). Also forgot to mention that the ad says the snake can go by itself for $75, which is still way too much but just throwing that out there.

I think, what I might do, is wait a couple weeks. Not only will I be in a better position by then (no immediate events, I'll have more funds, and as the fish I bought are the final batch for my setup, that will also be a more distant memory in my folks' minds), but the ball will also be in my court negotiation-wise should she still be listed. By then the owner will likely be desperate and possibly give her to me for free. I'm fully aware that potential vet bills and such will more than quadruple that "free" tag but, we'll see.

Keep in mind I'm not dead-set on this whole thing, I'm still thinking very carefully. It's more of a "Let's give this a good amount of time and see what conditions are like later" kind of scenario.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Lots of sage advice. As expected of a forum with this many quality people (seriously, I've learned so much from this place alone). Also forgot to mention that the ad says the snake can go by itself for $75, which is still way too much but just throwing that out there.

I think, what I might do, is wait a couple weeks. Not only will I be in a better position by then (no immediate events, I'll have more funds, and as the fish I bought are the final batch for my setup, that will also be a more distant memory in my folks' minds), but the ball will also be in my court negotiation-wise should she still be listed. By then the owner will likely be desperate and possibly give her to me for free. I'm fully aware that potential vet bills and such will more than quadruple that "free" tag but, we'll see.

Keep in mind I'm not dead-set on this whole thing, I'm still thinking very carefully. It's more of a "Let's give this a good amount of time and see what conditions are like later" kind of scenario.
    Well, offer the $25 for everything. Yes, they may say no. But you've shown interest an they will think about it. They don't want to spend more money to feed it. People looking for a pet won't want that train wreck. Flippers won't pay that much. I've had CL list posters e-mail me a month after I made my offer just to get the snake, iguana or rats for free. As they are tired of it.

Horses are the fun ones.

If you want to rescue anything look at your local pound. They have snakes, rat, dogs, cats an even horses.

BUT, talk to your parents first!!!!!

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    Well, fate decided things for me; the posting is already deleted. It wouldn't surprise me if it reappears however, we all know how these things fall through and listings get reposted after the fact.

Thanks
    This is so sad. My heart broke when I saw that poor little snake curled up out in the open with stuck shed pieces everywhere. You made the right decision not to immediately take on an animal that you weren't ready to handle but I do hope there was someone who was able to help this BP. I cannot believe the seller was asking for $150!

Do you have any reptile rescues in your area? I wonder if it's possible to call the SPCA or something for animals like this that are obviously neglected.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-23-2021),Bogertophis (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    This is so sad. My heart broke when I saw that poor little snake curled up out in the open with stuck shed pieces everywhere. You made the right decision not to immediately take on an animal that you weren't ready to handle but I do hope there was someone who was able to help this BP. I cannot believe the seller was asking for $150!

Do you have any reptile rescues in your area? I wonder if it's possible to call the SPCA or something for animals like this that are obviously neglected.
    There aren't any within a close enough proximity I'm afraid, be it the SPCA or general reptile rescues. Everything of that nature is at least a couple hours' drive if not more. All the shelters around here are dog/cat places only, maybe other small mammals at best.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    There aren't any within a close enough proximity I'm afraid, be it the SPCA or general reptile rescues. Everything of that nature is at least a couple hours' drive if not more. All the shelters around here are dog/cat places only, maybe other small mammals at best.
    Even though you already talked yourself logically OUT of doing a rescue at this time in your life, I'll just add (for you or anyone that's reading) that you can also give your name & contact information TO those dog/cat shelters just to have on hand, because sometimes they hear from people wanting to surrender a reptile & this way, they can give out your #. Not saying that's a good idea in your case right now, but they may appreciate having you as a contact in case. You may have to remind them now & then though, because such shelters often depend on part-time volunteers rather than full-time workers, & they don't always get "the word". Anyway, it costs nothing to make the connection to them.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (03-23-2021),Hugsplox (03-23-2021),Luvyna (03-23-2021),Snagrio (03-23-2021),Spicey (03-23-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast