Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,218

2 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Power outage.

Thanks

Power outage.

This is my first power outage after adopting my ball python. The temperature is at 72° currently and may fall a little bit more.
    Outside temperature is 55 so the room could potentially get into the 60s if the power stays off for a long time.

How long and at what temperature should I start to be concerned? She is a sub-adult around 400g and rest around 36hr ago.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Power outage.

Power is back on so no harm done.

But that said I would still be interested in an answer for the future. Long power outages are very rare here but multiple day power outages have happened in the past.

Last edited by Daniel_Effler; 03-28-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Since you don't really know how long the power will be off (-do you even know the reason it's off?) it's always time for concern when power doesn't come right back on quickly, & especially if it's very cold or very hot where you are. 55* outside is fairly modest, but it's not what you want for your BP if your indoor temperatures fall to that, as they will eventually.

For her safety, I'd round up an ice chest (or thick styro-foam shipping box) because they're far more insulated than your snake's enclosure. Also a large cloth snake bag (or pillow case with no holes!), and a rubber band or 2 & some twist-tie wire that's long enough to secure the cloth bag.

Do you have hot water? (ie. is your hot water heater gas or electric? If you have hot water, get 2 large clean jars or plastic water bottles for holding hot water (to use in the ice chest for heat).
    Or, if you have chemical hand-warmer packets or those used to ship reptiles, find them & be ready to use them. Wrap them for safety so they can heat the ice chest without contacting the snake, as they can get too hot. Same goes for the "hot water bottles".

When was she last fed? (not sure what is meant by ..."rest around 36hr ago."?) The more recently she ate, the more you need to keep her temperatures warm enough so she doesn't regurgitate. An unfed BP is pretty good around 75* but one that's digesting you'd want above 80* IMO.

When I used the above described methods to protect my snakes in an ice storm with power off for 4 days ( & while my house temperature got down to 45*) they remained a comfy 78*-80* inside the ice chests, & were calm and oblivious to how badly I wanted to shrink myself to crawl in with them.
    And btw, I only needed to change the hot water bottles about every 8-9 hours to keep them warm enough. That also helped with air exchange- they don't need a lot, but some exchange for safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously, I was typing when you got power back- Yay! But as you said, "for next time".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-28-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-29-2021),Daniel_Effler (03-28-2021),Hugsplox (03-28-2021),Spicey (03-28-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Since you don't really know how long the power will be off (-do you even know the reason it's off?) it's always time for concern when power doesn't come right back on quickly, & especially if it's very cold or very hot where you are. 55* outside is fairly modest, but it's not what you want for your BP if your indoor temperatures fall to that, as they will eventually.

For her safety, I'd round up an ice chest (or thick styro-foam shipping box) because they're far more insulated than your snake's enclosure. Also a large cloth snake bag (or pillow case with no holes!), and a rubber band or 2 & some twist-tie wire that's long enough to secure the cloth bag.

Do you have hot water? (ie. is your hot water heater gas or electric? If you have hot water, get 2 large clean jars or plastic water bottles for holding hot water (to use in the ice chest for heat).
    Or, if you have chemical hand-warmer packets or those used to ship reptiles, find them & be ready to use them. Wrap them for safety so they can heat the ice chest without contacting the snake, as they can get too hot. Same goes for the "hot water bottles".

When was she last fed? (not sure what is meant by ..."rest around 36hr ago."?) The more recently she ate, the more you need to keep her temperatures warm enough so she doesn't regurgitate. An unfed BP is pretty good around 75* but one that's digesting you'd want above 80* IMO.

When I used the above described methods to protect my snakes in an ice storm with power off for 4 days ( & while my house temperature got down to 45*) they remained a comfy 78*-80* inside the ice chests, & were calm and oblivious to how badly I wanted to shrink myself to crawl in with them.
    And btw, I only needed to change the hot water bottles about every 8-9 hours to keep them warm enough. That also helped with air exchange- they don't need a lot, but some exchange for safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously, I was typing when you got power back- Yay! But as you said, "for next time".
    The rest 36 hours ago was supposed to have been eat 36 hours ago. I'm not sure what autocorrect shenanigans was happening there but I was also half asleep because of just waking up.

Power outages here are usually because of trees falling across the line or ice storms taking down a line.

My hot water is electric but I can order some hand warmers like you mentioned before that way I can have them for future usage.

Thank you for the detailed response!

Last edited by Daniel_Effler; 03-28-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    You can always put the heat on in your car and put your ball python in there temporarily.
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JacksReptiles For This Useful Post:

Daniel_Effler (03-28-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacksReptiles View Post
    You can always put the heat on in your car and put your ball python in there temporarily.
    Not the best way to heat though- & can be deadly if your car's in a closed garage & you're forgetful. Not to mention that in an emergency, YOU might need the car to be full of gas.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Effler View Post
    The rest 36 hours ago was supposed to have been eat 36 hours ago. I'm not sure what autocorrect shenanigans was happening there but I was also half asleep because of just waking up.

Power outages here are usually because of trees falling across the line or ice storms taking down a line.

My hot water is electric but I can order some hand warmers like you mentioned before that way I can have them for future usage.

Thank you for the detailed response!

I figured you meant to say she'd just eaten 36 hours prior..."typing while asleep"

I believe you can get the chemical heat packs from Ship Your Reptiles, & they'll be safer for snake-use than the ones sold as handwarmers for camping & sports & such, or so I'm told.

----------
    To be clear, I'm not sure what the difference is: in an emergency I'd use either one but when snakes are shipped, apparently the 'handwarmers' for human use get too hot. So they're similar products, but if you have time to buy them ahead of time, it's probably best to get the kind used for snake-shipping. Me, I use jars of hot water anyway, though I have handwarmers on hand too- they might be for me!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-28-2021 at 09:48 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post: