Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,240

1 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Minor RI or Quirks?

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting so I apologize for any mistakes!

When I handle my ball python, he will sometimes make a wheezing/sneezing sound. Its not constant, just like once a handling session. I never hear him make this sound in his enclosure, so I wonder if he just huffs at me when I annoy him? Either way, I am of course a bit concerned about this sound and I was wondering what you guys think.

As far as other potential symptoms, he has none. He is in no way lethargic, in fact he is the opposite and likes to explore his house all day. He has never refused a meal and is an eager eater. I don't see any mucous or anything like that, and he hasn't lost any weight.

All of this together makes me think that maybe he is just a bit huffy (he's a very friendly boy, but maybe I annoy him?). His temperatures and humidity are in the accepted range.

What do you think? Thanks for any responses!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    What you are likely hearing- since it's only when you handle him- is the "forced exhale" from the handling itself. Remember that our snake pals have a long lung (predominantly one & the other much smaller) that gets compressed sometimes just from our handling, when their body is "folded". That's normal, & IMO, it's more likely than your BP being suddenly annoyed by handling. I know it can sound strange & you're a good owner to be concerned enough to ask, but as long as that's all you're seeing, I think you can relax.

I used to hear it when I handled the large BCI I used to have, & one time when she was "meeting" some guys doing some work for me (who were admittedly uncomfortable about snakes), they thought for sure she was hissing when I held her. I had a little reassuring to do, & then they warmed up to her quite well, seeing how docile she truly was. When a heavy-bodied snake is over 7' long & you 'fold' their body, you're going to hear that exhale!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-16-2021),Spicey (03-17-2021)

Thanks

Re: Minor RI or Quirks?

Ok, that makes sense! I hadn't thought about how his anatomy itself could be the cause. That makes me feel a lot better!

Thank you for your excellent response!