Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

1 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Thermostat failed??

Hi!!
    This morning I woke up and I was pretty sure I killed my BP (he is alive)
    To begin with, I have a CHE 50w and a MICROclimate thermostat, also I have digital thermometers at each end of my viv.
    Usually the temps are 75-77F at the cool end and 87-89F at the hot end plus the humidity is 50-65 I have him 4 days now and everything was perfect with those. This morning I woke up and I see that the thermometers shows 77F at the cool end (nothing changed) but 100F on the hot end! And the humidity dropped to 35!! I freaked out, I immediately opened the glass and check the snake, he was ok and moving normally. For some reason the thermostat did not switch off the CHE when it had to and this was weird. I unplugged it so the temp would come down and then plugged it again but again it did not switch off when it reached almost 100! I did the unplugging and plugging again and now it is working normally ! The temps are back to normal and after I sprayed the humidity is normal again.
    Does anybody have any idea why it might happened?? I do not want to be worried while at work or have trouble sleeping..Because really I don't know how long he was boiling and now I am really stressing out....

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I wouldn't trust it for a moment now, time to replace your t-stat, or your snake might not be alive much longer.

(I'm assuming that you double-checked to verify that what the t-stat is reading is the actual temperature in the enclosure. But yes, I've heard of people losing their animals when a t-stat "sticks on".)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-14-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-16-2021),Spicey (03-14-2021)

Thanks

Re: Thermostat failed??

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wouldn't trust it for a moment now, time to replace your t-stat, or your snake might not be alive much longer.
    You are right, the weirdest part is that it is brand new..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnaDim View Post
    You are right, the weirdest part is that it is brand new..
    In that case, I'd be contacting the source with a complaint. Is there a warranty? Personally, I don't think I'd want a replacement, but my money back to buy a different one altogether. But that's your call.

How "new" is brand new? Did you test it for a week before moving your snake in? That's always recommended- some things just aren't made as well as they should be & you want to find out before your snake does.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-14-2021 at 01:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AnaDim (03-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    In that case, I'd be contacting the source with a complaint. Is there a warranty? Personally, I don't think I'd want a replacement, but my money back to buy a different one altogether. But that's your call.

How "new" is brand new? Did you test it for a week before moving your snake in? That's always recommended- some things just aren't made as well as they should be & you want to find out before your snake does.

Unfortunately no as when I purchased the snake I purchased also everything else as the shop was offering a set up, that was my mistake. New I mean I got it sealed and it was opened few days ago.

Thanks

Unfortunately no as when I purchased the snake I purchased also everything else as the shop was offering a set up, that was my mistake. New I mean I got it sealed and it was opened few days ago.
    I'd talk to the shop's manager, see if they'll work something out for you. It NEVER hurts to ask. Not if they want your repeat business... And not if they want to avoid having you tell others that you got a bad deal there- one that could have killed your pet.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-14-2021 at 01:43 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AnaDim (03-14-2021),Hugsplox (03-14-2021)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What is the location of the probe for this thermostat??

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2021),jmcrook (03-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    What is the location of the probe for this thermostat??
    It is under the CHE, hanging on the guard

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Thermostat failed??

A little update ..
    I ordered a new thermostat which is arriving today . I tried to stay awake as much as I could to be aware of the temps . I went to sleep 2am as my bf is waking up at 3am so I hoped within two hours nothing will happen as the whole day everything was working perfect
    He wakes me up though because the warm side was 100F! I saw though that the thermostat probe was moved, I usually place it under the CHE hanging on the guard , now it was on the hide almost behind it. The snake was chilling under the CHE and acting normal , it was also the first time I saw him on the warm side actually . The cold side at that moment was 77. So now I am more confused . Does it mean that the corner of the viv at the warm side is so cool that the thermostat did not switch off at all ? Was the snake enjoying it ? I guess if he did not like he would stay at the cool side . Also , may it be that the thermometer is wrong as well? ( I am waiting for the gun to arrive, too) and last do I place the probe correct and how could I fix it in place better so it won’t move ?
    thanks for all the help I am getting here !!!! Taking answers from people makes me less stressed as nobody from the people I knows owns a BP so I can’t get any advice or experience story from someone ..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

A little update ..
    I ordered a new thermostat which is arriving today . I tried to stay awake as much as I could to be aware of the temps . I went to sleep 2am as my bf is waking up at 3am so I hoped within two hours nothing will happen as the whole day everything was working perfect
    He wakes me up though because the warm side was 100F! I saw though that the thermostat probe was moved, I usually place it under the CHE hanging on the guard , now it was on the hide almost behind it. The snake was chilling under the CHE and acting normal , it was also the first time I saw him on the warm side actually . The cold side at that moment was 77. So now I am more confused . Does it mean that the corner of the viv at the warm side is so cool that the thermostat did not switch off at all ? Was the snake enjoying it ? I guess if he did not like he would stay at the cool side . Also , may it be that the thermometer is wrong as well? ( I am waiting for the gun to arrive, too) and last do I place the probe correct and how could I fix it in place better so it won’t move ?
    thanks for all the help I am getting here !!!! Taking answers from people makes me less stressed as nobody from the people I knows owns a BP so I can’t get any advice or experience story from someone ..
    All of my thermostat probes are held in place by aquarium grade silicone. If you have probes inside the enclosure where your snake can get to them and they're not secured somehow, odds are they'll get moved. Probe placement obviously has a lot to do with how well our thermostats work, so if that probe gets bumped 6 inches to the left, your thermostat is going to think you need more heat, and then you run into the issue you're having.

Essentially you need to find a way to secure your probe or your snake will move it and regardless of what thermostat you use you'll get whacky readings. DO NOT put tape or anything that might stick to your snake inside your enclosure. Again, personally I like aquarium silicone and I've been in that hobby so long I always have plenty on hand. It's inexpensive and easy to use.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-16-2021),Bogertophis (03-15-2021),dakski (03-15-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast