Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

2 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Slew of T8 questions

Okay, I'm waiting for some money to come in but I'll getting geared up to put in an order for a T8 with LEDs put in. But before I do I have a number of questions as to the best direction to go with this.

Will the UTH I'm using with my current setup (30 gallon tank) still work?

Instead of having a screen circle cut in for the CHE, I'm thinking up upgrading to RHP. How do those work? Do they just screw into the ceiling of the enclosure? And do they zap humidity like CHEs do? The humidity situation will be improved by default do to being a better enclosure instead of glass with a screen top, but I'm curious. And what wattage? Looking at one with 28 watts.

There's an option for locks on the doors. Is this something you can just add yourself or do they do modifications to make room for them (i.e. probably something you'd want to not mess with)?

There's a quicker ship option. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    The UTH from your 30-gal tank will likely be too small for the T8 unless you have a really small snake.

RHP is screwed to the ceiling of the T8. They don't tend to clobber humidity like CHE's and DHP's do.

You can get jeweler's locks locally at places like Lowes or Home Depot, so just compare prices and see which is more economical. I would definitely use locks as I have several enclosures with sliding doors, and if the snake rubs against it hard enough on the inside, which can happen when they are shedding, the door can slide open.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

PeteV (03-12-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use UTH on my T8 enclosures. I think the sizes are large and XL, I don't remember the wattage, definitely too big for a 30 gallon tank.

I have both enclosures with and without locks. I picked up some locks at my local Home depot but it wouldn't fit! I think it's the middle piece of the tank blocking the way. I'm not handy with that things but I tried and tried and wouldn't work. If someone else can link a lock that does work on a T8, I would appreciate it 🙂. For the ones without a lock, I stick some paper in between the glass to make sure the glass won't move.

I tried the quick ship option. Nothing is quick about AP because of their high workload. Last time I think I waited close to 3-4 months for a quick ship T8. Now they listed the wait time to be around 21 weeks, but some people complained that they waited close a year and still no enclosure. AP makes good affordable enclosures, so if you want one, expect to wait longer than 21 weeks.

I have been looking to upgrade my Children python's tank to a more arboreal cage that is at least 3 or 4 foot tall. It seems like an overkill for a small snake but I think these active snakes need more space than we think. I am waiting for my Complete Children Python book in the mail so I can confirm what their needs are in the wild, and try to replicate that to my snake. Anyways, I have been eyeing AP 4 foot arboreal enclosure but due to their high wait time, and so many new competitors popping up, I'm going to look around some more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Well that's unfortunate to hear about the wait time even with "quick" shipping. My BP's about 9 months old and growing fast, already looks cramped in the 30 gallon (I mean he almost never moves but still).

I've been keeping a close eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if I get lucky. But it's like, 70% glass tanks, 25% snake racks, and maybe 5% actual PVC-type enclosures, all of which are too small...
    Last edited by Snagrio; 03-12-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Slew of T8 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I've been keeping a close eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if I get lucky. But it's like, 70% glass tanks, 25% snake racks, and maybe 5% actual PVC-type enclosures, all of which are too small...
    You can set him up in one of these until the T8 arrives. It's cheap and you'll have it available for transport if you need to take your BP somewhere like the vet, or if you move, or if you need somewhere to stash him securely while you do a deep clean/disinfect on the T8.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Ga...Lid/1002612460

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    UTH will be too small
    RHPs screw to the top of the cage, the ceiling. the radiate heat down, and heats objects up, which in turn heats the air. it effects humidity, but not as bad as ceramic heat emitters. I have a t8, and the panel in mine is a 80 watt panel from pro products - pro products makes the best panels hands down. get an appropriate sized rap...you don't need a UTH with them.

get the locks. its $20. if you don't want to use it, at least you have them for if you ever do. their worth the $20

t8 came fwas a quick ship a year in a half ago. took me 6 weeks to get it. my most recent order, took me 6 months to get, but it wasn't a quick ship item either (t100). their wait time sucks, but their the best for the money around. worth the wait. just order ahead with time to spare.