Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Basking lamp for bp's?

A lot of care sheets, including the one on this site I believe, say that a bp should have a basking spot. Others point out that they are nocturnal creatures and don't bask in the wild, and therefore don't need a heat lamp, as long as they have an Under Tank Heater. So which is it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Basking lamp for bp's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jörmungandr View Post
    A lot of care sheets, including the one on this site I believe, say that a bp should have a basking spot. Others point out that they are nocturnal creatures and don't bask in the wild, and therefore don't need a heat lamp, as long as they have an Under Tank Heater. So which is it?
    It's just referring to a "hot spot." Some people use a UTH to create this in a warm hide, some people have a CHE or other heating element that make a nice hot spot on top of a hide or a branch, and some like me do both. My UTH makes the warm hide a nice 90-91 degrees, and I have a spot on a branch that the CHE, which is really for ambient temps, but it also makes a nice 90 degree spot. May not be needed, but I've seen my BP out at night lounging under the CHE, so I let him pick where he wants to be.

Don't think of basking like you would with a bearded dragon who literally "basks" under a hot bulk for most of the day. Just think of it as creating a warmer spot for your snake to go that's hotter than your ambient temperatures.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-08-2021),Jörmungandr (03-08-2021)