Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,044

3 members and 1,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Looking to start a small colony

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Just a note - if you use an automatic drip waterer in a rack, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that the rats can't somehow get to the tubes and perhaps pull off a valve. My daughter's rat supplier lost his entire stock when one of his top-tier rats did exactly that and flooded all the tubs.

Flooded tubs can happen. Some of the high dollar systems have drains in them. First tub rack I made used metal mixing tubs. I drilled weep holes 4" up. An the little buggers pulled the valve. I lost some pinks (30 ish) but that was it. I use more water bottles then water systems. The grow out racks use the water systems. They have 40 or so in each tub. Breeding tubs don't need a five gallon bucket. Worried about flooding a tub? Drill some holes an cover then with cheap metal flashing (step is thick an cheap). Water will go around an out the holes. An the rats can't/wont eat the metal. You could use 1/4" wire also.

Was at a pet shop in DE yesterday. They had five 3'x5' tanks with feeders. The breeder tubs where Sterilite boot boxes on shelving. You can start small on the cheap or go BIG.

ARS Caging, Professional Caging for Professional Breeders. Reptile Breeding Systems and Rodent Breeding Systems: ARS Caging

Check face book an the like for snake or rodent groups near you. Snake groups will have a few backyard prey breeders. Rodent groups raise pets. Don't type about feeding them to your other pet

Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Spicey (02-06-2021)