Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,810

3 members and 1,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Question Ball Python Smelly After Eating

I recently got a ball python who is amazing. She eats well and is very sweet. I haven’t had a problem feeding so far and I usually take her out of her enclosure to feed. She’s put into a plastic tub. She goes in smelling fine but when she’s done I take her out and I’m hit with a very smelly smell. I don’t believe it’s the mice because I don’t really smell them when I thaw them besides the usual rodent scent. Her home enclosure doesn’t have an odor at all. I’m wondering if she’s possibly releasing her musk because she’s feeling vulnerable when she eats? If that’s a possible reason is there anyway I can make her more comfortable while eating? I do put the top of the bin, it’s not on securely so she can breath if that’s a factor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Ball Python Smelly After Eating

First off welcome to the forum!

I would recommend stopping taking her out of her enclosure to feed her. You shouldn't be handling her after she eats, and the old myth that they need to be fed in a separate tub/tank/whatever isn't true. My guess is, she's getting stressed being taken from her enclosure, and placed somewhere "new" then immediately after she eats, she's grabbed by an animal (aka you) much larger than her and put somewhere else.

Try giving her her feeder in her enclosure next time. That way when she finishes eating she can move herself where she wants to be.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2021),GoingPostal (01-28-2021),Sonny1318 (01-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,901 Times in 11,890 Posts
    Bingo! ^ ^ ^ It's very likely you're smelling her musk, released because she's nervous (somewhat afraid of you & feeling vulnerable because you're moving her).

Feed snakes where they live- if you're worried they'll ingest some substrate, lay down a piece of cardboard as a "plate" where you're going to feed to help preclude that.

Snakes are more likely to bite when they're hungry, or still in "feed mode" (pumped up after eating & ready to nip the next moving target) so it's best if you avoid doing this anyway.
    You won't "miss" the musk, will you?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-28-2021),Zincubus (01-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Ball Python Smelly After Eating

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    I recently got a ball python who is amazing. She eats well and is very sweet. I haven’t had a problem feeding so far and I usually take her out of her enclosure to feed. She’s put into a plastic tub. She goes in smelling fine but when she’s done I take her out and I’m hit with a very smelly smell. I don’t believe it’s the mice because I don’t really smell them when I thaw them besides the usual rodent scent. Her home enclosure doesn’t have an odor at all. I’m wondering if she’s possibly releasing her musk because she’s feeling vulnerable when she eats? If that’s a possible reason is there anyway I can make her more comfortable while eating? I do put the top of the bin, it’s not on securely so she can breath if that’s a factor.
    Some snakes urinate and/or have a bowel movement when they’re nervous or put in strange tubs ..
    I’m wondering if you’re simply smelling urine !??

Just a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-28-2021)