Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

2 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

hey guy, got a question

wuts up everyone

ive had my ball for 3 weeks, hes getting chubby and long FAST, im think HE's a she.
    when i hold him he goes over to everything except my hand and never just wants to slither around a certain area but come back( ive seen that with one snake i met). can anybody let there snake be free and not always be holding them under control?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: hey guy, got a question

you shouldn't do that, you might lose him. about i month ago i was at the petstore and this girl came in and said she was doin just that and her bp got into a hole in the wall
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mysticman22
    wuts up everyone

ive had my ball for 3 weeks, hes getting chubby and long FAST, im think HE's a she.
    when i hold him he goes over to everything except my hand and never just wants to slither around a certain area but come back( ive seen that with one snake i met). can anybody let there snake be free and not always be holding them under control?
    I've only experience with my current ball python, and even that's limited to others on the board, but I can attest to my snake's seemingly limitless curiousity and overall wandering nature. He doesn't sit still for too long while I'm handling him, unless something fascinating catches his eye, like me playing video games or watching the TV. Other than that, he's constantly trying to get away, though not in a panicky fashion, just a curious kind. I think it's perfectly normal, especially with younger balls. I've had friends in the past that let their turtles do this, but they seem to be a more hardy and home-bodied animal, even though I'd feel uncomfortable leaving my turtle around the house for any extended period of time...

Edit to add: oooh, you're talking about letting him roam around free in the house? I wouldn't suggest it - who knows what little cracks and crevices within the home he can find and get lost in. A friend of mine had a Tegu that managed (somehow!) to get outside during the winter He found the little guy along the edge of the house, underneath a window frozen to death.
    1.0.0 Ball Python - "Mr. Bojangles"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - "Zeppelin"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I will let Kashmire slither around on the carpet, but ONLY with my constant supervision. I would never just let him crawl around while I was doing something else.

Thanks

The lady I bought Snoopy from would let her slither all over the bedroom, and would even put Snoopy in the bed with her! Personally I let Snoopy move around on the bed and floor (my mattress is on the floor right now < we just moved>) but I'm in the room reading a book or always keep my eye on her. She's so big, she can't get into any crevices, but P***y is soooo small still, that I keep him in my hand. I've only let him on the bed for about 5-10 min. once, but that's because he's soooooooooooooo terribly NIPPY!!! < His name is Pissy Snake for a REASON! > that I'm handling him more to overcome his tendancy to want to tag me. I've been missed so far, but he's come really close a couple of times.

He hates it when I hold him under his belly though. I did that for a little while, & he kept trying to get to me, but kept biting himself!!! ROTFLMAO It was HILARIOUS watching him trying to figure it out!!! I only let him do it twice, before I stroked him a couple of times and then tucked him into his hide.

I'd keep an eye on your snake, for safety's sake.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

i kinda meant like when your holding your snake and your on the couch or somthing. do you let it move away from you and be on other parts of the couch( not all around the room)? i always got to hold my little bugger in my hand cuz i dont kno what he'll do, he's still pretty small.

Thanks

Apart from bringing them downstairs for people to hold and check out, I usually limit their exploring area to my bed, lol. I get one of them out, lay on my bed, and lay them on my chest. They'll slither around me, and on my bed, and I keep an eye on them. The minute they're near the edge, or around the headboard where they can take off and get stuck somewhere, I pick them up and put them back near me. I can just see them now...

"Aww cool, the edge of the bed! What's down here? Oooh, fuzzy carpet. So soft and...what the!? Back here again? Oh well, where's that carpet again...Well hello there, pillows. Lemme just cram my head under here and..OH COME ON! BACK HERE AGAIN!? This is rediculous!"

They must hate me.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks

LOL Cody! I sometimes wonder to what goes through my snake's minds as they suddenly get taken away from a lovely attempt to slither down the back of the couch or "fly" out of their enclosure across the room in my arms.

As long as you are aware of where your snake is at all times and think about places they could slither in to, it's okay. Ours like to wiggle down under the couch cushions so now when I have them on the couch I toss a big blanket over it to block those attemps (also keeps the couch clean in case someone has a sudden need to pee LOL).

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~