Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

3 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Having humidity issues with BP tank

Quote Originally Posted by HugYourDucks View Post
    Rrrgh, right, which is one of my issues. I don't work from home. Currently I'm only working part time, so I've been misting when I get home half way through the day, but that won't stay like this forever...
    I've been kicking myself for the past week about getting a glass enclosure instead of PVC. I swear, you can research something until you think you're all set to go, but you'll always overlook or miss something. Don't have the income to afford getting a new enclosure yet, so I'm hoping to find a way to make it work with this one until I get the opportunity.
    Don't stress too much, like I said there are a ton of ways to get a glass enclosure to where you want it to be. I didn't even know PVC enclosures existed until a few months ago when I started reading about them on here. I've always used glass tanks and just modified them to fit what I need. Plus most PVC enclosures take forever to get now because of the demand. Another thing you can, the next time you do a spot cleaning of your enclosure, take everything out, and heavily spray the top of the substrate. Then just kinda of mix the substrate up so all the moisture goes to the bottom. As it dries out all that moisture will end up in your enclosure and should help as well.

The big fix for me though, which solved 95% of my problems was a humid hide. You can make them yourself or order them online. Pangea for example has one that has four sponges in the top. You soak them and pop them in and the humidity in there is 20-30% higher than the rest of the enclosure. You can make one for cheap if you don't have the funds by cutting a hole big enough for your snake in the top of a Tupperware container and then putting some damp moss in it, or paper towels if you're in a bind. A humid hide solved all my shedding issues, and while I still struggle keeping the enclosure humidity up over 50% I know that my guy has a place to go if he needs some extra moisture.

Edit: To add one more thing, make sure you have a thermostat controlling ALL of your heating elements. If you let those bulbs run non-stop with no control #1 you end up with more heat than you need and can harm your snake, and #2 the bulb constantly running is going to dry your enclosure out twice as fast.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 01-05-2021 at 03:46 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

HugYourDucks (01-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Are you using one of those plastic , circular stick on hygrometers ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeeeessss, unfortunately. I finally settled on a couple of digital, more reliable ones that I'll have in a couple of days. Maybe that'll change my readings and prove my others inaccurate..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Don't stress too much, like I said there are a ton of ways to get a glass enclosure to where you want it to be. I didn't even know PVC enclosures existed until a few months ago when I started reading about them on here. I've always used glass tanks and just modified them to fit what I need. Plus most PVC enclosures take forever to get now because of the demand. Another thing you can, the next time you do a spot cleaning of your enclosure, take everything out, and heavily spray the top of the substrate. Then just kinda of mix the substrate up so all the moisture goes to the bottom. As it dries out all that moisture will end up in your enclosure and should help as well.

The big fix for me though, which solved 95% of my problems was a humid hide. You can make them yourself or order them online. Pangea for example has one that has four sponges in the top. You soak them and pop them in and the humidity in there is 20-30% higher than the rest of the enclosure. You can make one for cheap if you don't have the funds by cutting a hole big enough for your snake in the top of a Tupperware container and then putting some damp moss in it, or paper towels if you're in a bind. A humid hide solved all my shedding issues, and while I still struggle keeping the enclosure humidity up over 50% I know that my guy has a place to go if he needs some extra moisture.

Edit: To add one more thing, make sure you have a thermostat controlling ALL of your heating elements. If you let those bulbs run non-stop with no control #1 you end up with more heat than you need and can harm your snake, and #2 the bulb constantly running is going to dry your enclosure out twice as fast.

Cool, cool, I'll definitely try making a humid hide. That was next on my list of things to attempt, but wasn't sure about the best way to make one.

Honestly, I want so badly to do away with the lamp completely... One of my biggest frustrations in this has been talking to folks who have enclosures similar to mine and maintain ideal temps with heating mats alone! Going to keep trying things and will check again to see if that thermostat I have can work with a lamp.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Cool, cool, I'll definitely try making a humid hide. That was next on my list of things to attempt, but wasn't sure about the best way to make one.

Honestly, I want so badly to do away with the lamp completely... One of my biggest frustrations in this has been talking to folks who have enclosures similar to mine and maintain ideal temps with heating mats alone! Going to keep trying things and will check again to see if that thermostat I have can work with a lamp.
    If the heat mats are the same you can run them with the same thermostat. Just put both of them under one of these:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-25-Ga...Lid/1002612460

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Having humidity issues with BP tank

I've got those crappy little plastic dials. The two temp ones are on either end of the tank and the hygrometer is more in the middle. I've got better, digital ones coming in hopefully Thursday.

And yes, I've got a thermostat, but it only works with the heating mat.
    Sorry but those plastic dials are worse than useless .. as you probably realise now

So your humidity MAY in reality be fine ..

More worrying are the floor temps we may be dangerously high or low but thankfully you have some better thermometers coming ..

Just a thought ..

I’d test the warm side surface temps with the palm of your hand and if they feel fairly warm you can reasonably assume that they’re OVER 98.4F ( your body temp) and as such ... far TOO high .

Please consider getting yourself a digital temp gun for less than 10 dollars off eBay or Amazon or wherever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-05-2021 at 04:13 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-06-2021),HugYourDucks (01-05-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12