Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

1 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Newbie - Concerned about new snake purchase

Hi there,
    I am looking for some help from people with more experience and know-how.

After spending the last couple of years researching ball pythons and what it took to own one, I decided to finally get one this month. I ended up getting the equipment and the snake in a deal that gave me a discount on both as long as I bought them together. I was able to put the snake on a three day hold while I set up the tank.

When I bought the snake and materials, (Saturday, December 26th), an employee informed me that the snake, a 10 week old female, had just eaten that Wednesday and was good to go, however, the breeder had told them that she would only eat live rat pups. My understanding thus far is that picky snakes are typical, so I didn’t see an issue with that.

I got the tank set up and brought her home on Monday evening (December 28th). She explored the tank inquisitively until settling down on top of a hide. Didn’t seem too agitated or too incredibly stressed. However, I thought she looked a bit skinny.

I came back to the store today (December 29th) to help a friend set up a fish tank, and was approached by several of the employees and a manager, who explained there had been a miscommunication and the snake had never actually eaten at their store and she was not supposed to have been sold. Apparently, she has eaten twice with the breeder (that was how they knew she only ate rat pups), but not since then. The manager asked me to bring her back so that they could monitor her and try to get her to eat. She then said if it failed, they would let me exchange for another. (I really don’t want to do that.)

The employee who sold her to me explained when I brought her back this evening that he would try four things: Different temps, putting her in the dark, blooding the rat pup, and finally, force feeding her. He seemed confident that if he had to resort to force feeding her, she could come home with me and I wouldn’t have that issue later. I texted a friend who actually works at the store and she said the last thing they tried before they had to close was bloodying the rat, but don't have news on if that did anything. (I'm also just concerned that she won't want to eat anyways? She's had two rapid environment shifts, going to my house and then back to the store!)

I don’t know what I should do. I know snakes can be picky, so my thoughts are that perhaps the store environment (they’re in pretty small tanks with very bright lighting, sitting at 85F constant temp) is just too stressful for her and she’d do better in the tank I have. OR, this snake has serious issues that will not be resolved by whatever the store is going to try, including force feeding… My weak human heart is already very attached to her and I’d hate to just ask for a refund and look elsewhere, but it also sounds like maybe this snake is just not a good fit for me as a beginner – what if I brought her home and she still refused to eat later? To my understanding, only breeders typically have to assist/force feed babies if they haven’t eaten on their own yet, and you should only resort to that with babies that have eaten and adults if they’re sick. ?

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful and appreciated. I’m just not sure on the best course of action here as a newbie in this field and if I should take the risk of bringing her back if they offer.
    -Hugyourducks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HugYourDucks For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020)

Thanks

Re: Newbie - Concerned about new snake purchase

Quote Originally Posted by HugYourDucks View Post
    Hi there,
    I am looking for some help from people with more experience and know-how.

After spending the last couple of years researching ball pythons and what it took to own one, I decided to finally get one this month. I ended up getting the equipment and the snake in a deal that gave me a discount on both as long as I bought them together. I was able to put the snake on a three day hold while I set up the tank.

When I bought the snake and materials, (Saturday, December 26th), an employee informed me that the snake, a 10 week old female, had just eaten that Wednesday and was good to go, however, the breeder had told them that she would only eat live rat pups. My understanding thus far is that picky snakes are typical, so I didn’t see an issue with that.

I got the tank set up and brought her home on Monday evening (December 28th). She explored the tank inquisitively until settling down on top of a hide. Didn’t seem too agitated or too incredibly stressed. However, I thought she looked a bit skinny.

I came back to the store today (December 29th) to help a friend set up a fish tank, and was approached by several of the employees and a manager, who explained there had been a miscommunication and the snake had never actually eaten at their store and she was not supposed to have been sold. Apparently, she has eaten twice with the breeder (that was how they knew she only ate rat pups), but not since then. The manager asked me to bring her back so that they could monitor her and try to get her to eat. She then said if it failed, they would let me exchange for another. (I really don’t want to do that.)

The employee who sold her to me explained when I brought her back this evening that he would try four things: Different temps, putting her in the dark, blooding the rat pup, and finally, force feeding her. He seemed confident that if he had to resort to force feeding her, she could come home with me and I wouldn’t have that issue later. I texted a friend who actually works at the store and she said the last thing they tried before they had to close was bloodying the rat, but don't have news on if that did anything. (I'm also just concerned that she won't want to eat anyways? She's had two rapid environment shifts, going to my house and then back to the store!)

I don’t know what I should do. I know snakes can be picky, so my thoughts are that perhaps the store environment (they’re in pretty small tanks with very bright lighting, sitting at 85F constant temp) is just too stressful for her and she’d do better in the tank I have. OR, this snake has serious issues that will not be resolved by whatever the store is going to try, including force feeding… My weak human heart is already very attached to her and I’d hate to just ask for a refund and look elsewhere, but it also sounds like maybe this snake is just not a good fit for me as a beginner – what if I brought her home and she still refused to eat later? To my understanding, only breeders typically have to assist/force feed babies if they haven’t eaten on their own yet, and you should only resort to that with babies that have eaten and adults if they’re sick. ?

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful and appreciated. I’m just not sure on the best course of action here as a newbie in this field and if I should take the risk of bringing her back if they offer.
    -Hugyourducks
    How long of a timeframe was that employee supposed to complete that process in by the way? Assist feeding from a pet store raises an immediate red flag as I would only trust a breeder to do it and if she’s already eating live, why would you assist feed? If you keep offering meals a different way, an hour apart the snake is still going to be stressed regardless. I think you should move on to a different hatchling OR if you are dead set on caring for a BP that could potentially be eating live it’s entire life, insist that the breeder take her back and you’ll purchase her from the breeder after she takes a consistent 3-4 meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020),Hugsplox (12-30-2020),HugYourDucks (12-30-2020),jmcrook (12-30-2020)

Thanks

He didn't specify, which did not endear me to him anymore than I am already on guard. The guy who gave me that information was the same who sold her to me in the first place and (it's only hearsay, for what it's worth) I was told by my friend who works there that he's got a reputation for mishandling the snakes. Which... did not make me feel any more confident.

I thought that sounded off, about trying to assist/force feed... especially now that she's switched locations twice in such a short time period.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

He didn't specify, which did not endear me to him anymore than I am already on guard. The guy who gave me that information was the same who sold her to me in the first place and (it's only hearsay, for what it's worth) I was told by my friend who works there that he's got a reputation for mishandling the snakes. Which... did not make me feel any more confident.

I thought that sounded off, about trying to assist/force feed... especially now that she's switched locations twice in such a short time period.
    Personal opinion here, but I would suggest you ask for your money back and go through a breeder vs. a pet store, or at least go to a pet store that specializes in reptiles. I've had luck buying from both breeders online, and local reptile specific pet stores, but I wouldn't send anyone to a big box store (which sounds like what you did) to get any pets. I don't even purchase fish from places like Petsmart because of poor care and them buying their animals from the cheapest source, which is typically mill-type breeders.

I'm really sorry that this is your first BP experience. This store you went to doesn't sound like they have their stuff together, and for a new keeper, really any keeper, you want to know that your snake is healthy and eating well from the start, and it doesn't seem like the store can tell you either of those things.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020),HugYourDucks (12-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Personal opinion here, but I would suggest you ask for your money back and go through a breeder vs. a pet store, or at least go to a pet store that specializes in reptiles. I've had luck buying from both breeders online, and local reptile specific pet stores, but I wouldn't send anyone to a big box store (which sounds like what you did) to get any pets. I don't even purchase fish from places like Petsmart because of poor care and them buying their animals from the cheapest source, which is typically mill-type breeders.

I'm really sorry that this is your first BP experience. This store you went to doesn't sound like they have their stuff together, and for a new keeper, really any keeper, you want to know that your snake is healthy and eating well from the start, and it doesn't seem like the store can tell you either of those things.

This is actually a pretty small, local store. I've been going there for fish for the past five years as they have an amazing fish section (most of the store is fish), and really go the extra mile to take care of and display them, especially their bettas. (You won't find them kept in tiny plastic cups at this place.) They're usually on top of marking tanks off if any signs of illness show up until they can get the situation managed. I also know the owner himself and his wife (the manager I spoke to) both own quite a few lizards and snakes themselves, which had me put a little more trust in them. When I first went in a few months ago to ask about their snakes, I got a couple of the employees to give me run down of where they got them from and what kind of handling and care they got at the store.

But yeah, the more I look at this situation, the more I agree with you. The manager of this place had said she'd do an exchange if they couldn't get this one to eat, but I'm really hoping she'll just agree to give me a refund so I can look elsewhere. Just haven't been impressed with my few experiences here concerning reptiles...

Thanks

This is actually a pretty small, local store. I've been going there for fish for the past five years as they have an amazing fish section (most of the store is fish), and really go the extra mile to take care of and display them, especially their bettas. (You won't find them kept in tiny plastic cups at this place.) They're usually on top of marking tanks off if any signs of illness show up until they can get the situation managed. I also know the owner himself and his wife (the manager I spoke to) both own quite a few lizards and snakes themselves, which had me put a little more trust in them. When I first went in a few months ago to ask about their snakes, I got a couple of the employees to give me run down of where they got them from and what kind of handling and care they got at the store.

But yeah, the more I look at this situation, the more I agree with you. The manager of this place had said she'd do an exchange if they couldn't get this one to eat, but I'm really hoping she'll just agree to give me a refund so I can look elsewhere. Just haven't been impressed with my few experiences here concerning reptiles...
    ...I’d ask for my money back and the snake personally as it’s likely going to die in their care. If she only eats live, then feed her live ...for now. Try to make the transition later when she has taken plenty of meals where she can afford to miss several feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I get what you're saying, I learned very quick that just because my local places were good with one thing didn't mean they were good with everything. The place I get 99% of my tropical fish from I won't buy any other animals from, and the shop I get my feeders and reptiles from, I won't buy fish from. I'll spare you the reasoning but just know, some places do better than others. Just remember that regardless of how good they may be with some things, the store is there to make money at the end of the day, and while it's admirable that the manager is willing to work with you, is there a guarantee that the next snake they send you home with won't be in the same boat?

I agree 100% with Kevin though, if you're intent on having this specific snake, at a minimum I would ask them to let the breeder take her back and get her eating, and then purchase her from the breeder directly. I wouldn't trust some kid at a local pet store who clearly has a history of mishandling animals, to try to assist feed her.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I get what you're saying, I learned very quick that just because my local places were good with one thing didn't mean they were good with everything. The place I get 99% of my tropical fish from I won't buy any other animals from, and the shop I get my feeders and reptiles from, I won't buy fish from. I'll spare you the reasoning but just know, some places do better than others. Just remember that regardless of how good they may be with some things, the store is there to make money at the end of the day, and while it's admirable that the manager is willing to work with you, is there a guarantee that the next snake they send you home with won't be in the same boat?

I agree 100% with Kevin though, if you're intent on having this specific snake, at a minimum I would ask them to let the breeder take her back and get her eating, and then purchase her from the breeder directly. I wouldn't trust some kid at a local pet store who clearly has a history of mishandling animals, to try to assist feed her.

Nah, I totally understand that. This has been my wonderful little learning experience that I should only go here for fish related things in the future.

(Sad thing is, this guy's not a kid, he appears to be a 40+ year old adult. It's the younger adults I've spoken to there who look at him sideways. But... age and time there give authority, unfortunately.)

I'm likely just going to try and get my money back and look elsewhere. I don't really have a lot of confidence in myself to handle this little girl as a newbie if she's already exhibiting feeding issues...

Thanks for the speedy help and suggestions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HugYourDucks For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020)

Thanks

Thanks again for the help, guys.
    Went in to work it over. Got my money back and was informed by the manager that she’d been in contact with the breeder and he’d be coming in tomorrow to pick her up and take her back. So hopefully the little girl gets the care she needs. (:

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugYourDucks For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-30-2020),Hugsplox (12-31-2020),KevinK (12-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Thanks again for the help, guys.
    Went in to work it over. Got my money back and was informed by the manager that she’d been in contact with the breeder and he’d be coming in tomorrow to pick her up and take her back. So hopefully the little girl gets the care she needs. (:
    I totally "get" being smitten with a snake you've just brought home, but you made the right decision here, as this might have turned out very poorly for you at this point in your experience, especially from the information you were given about the snake's feeding record. Rehoming often puts snakes off-feed for a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone should force feed them (etc) -that can increase the stress & is miles apart (not "6* of separation"!) from the snake eating normally as it should. Such mishandling almost ENSURES that you'd have trouble with this snake, & that's wrong for you, but especially for the snake too.

Hang in there, it's better to set up & thoroughly test your set-up (temps. especially) for at least a week- you never want to bring a snake home at the same time you try to set up its home, so you did well in resisting temptation. What IS good to hear is that this snake was NOT air-shipped to the store (that's even MORE stressful for them)- the owner is a local, so maybe this snake will find her way into your life in time anyway, when she's really ready, & if not, there is no shortage of BPs looking for that "forever owner". Feel good that she's in better hands now than the pet store. And you're right, just because they're great with tropical fish doesn't mean they don't have a lot to learn about reptiles.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-30-2020),Hugsplox (12-31-2020)