Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 450

11 members and 439 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 70,055
Threads: 244,255
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ChandlerPayne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Strange Ball Python Poop

Quick update:

I thoroughly cleaned/disinfected his enclosure today. The temps are still doing good and his cool side is now 77+ (warmer during the day). Today he urinated which was a lot of liquid and some urates. Is that normal? Iíve heard it means heís really well hydrated but Iím not sure.

I weighed him today and he lost about 12 grams since his vet visit. Iím thinking thatís because he missed a feeding last week but I fed him two days ago so hopefully he will gain the weight back. I think Iíll give him two weeks (two feedings) with the new temps and see if he improves.

Iíve also noticed heís quite small for his age but then again I donít really know his age. Theoretically, heís 2 years old right now but could be younger. Heís about 2 - 2.5 feet and 500 grams. Heís always been on the thinner side but Iím hoping heíll put on some weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,660 Times in 6,794 Posts
    Snakes that have "strange" feces and fail to grow & keep weight on at the expected rate are perfect candidates to have their feces professionally checked for parasites. When snakes "share" their food with parasites, they cannot grow at normal rates & often die prematurely because of the damage done by the parasites, which can invade various organs of the snake's body.

I wouldn't make assumptions about the weight "loss" as that could easily be related to meals, hydration, & defecation; please remember that we aren't seeing your snake here, your vet is the best one to do that. Glad you fixed the temps, but I'd still be concerned about having his stool checked if that was my snake.

FYI, what makes it difficult to advise you here: we don't all see our pets body weight the same way, any more than we judge our own body weights very well. Some of us eat more than others & carry more weight ourselves, & tend to feed our pets "generously" & feel that's normal, whereas others of us eat lighter, weigh less & expect the same lean physique of our pets. I've seen some post pics of what they considered to be their "skinny" snake that was actually overweight, & vice versa. Perception is a funny thing...so when you say "he's on the thinner side" & you're "hoping he'll put on some weight", we can't help you without seeing your snake in good photos at the very least, & the vet is in the best place to assess him, IF the vet has adequate experience with snakes. Giving us his weight is meaningless without knowing his actual size- your "noodle" could be angel hair pasta, or rigatoni...know what I mean?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-05-2021),RyanLovesSneks24 (01-06-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12