Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

1 members and 3,472 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Ball Python Red Underbelly.

We recently moved less than a month ago and he has been doing just fine eating and being active as usual. Unfortunately his first shed since the move has been not the best and I’ve been making sure to keep the humidity up but I noticed he had some redness on his Underbelly and sides about 2 to 3 days ago. I posted on another forum and people were telling me to treat it as scale rot. I am follow this as a precaution to make sure it does not get worse https://reptile.guide/scale-rot-in-snakes/ . I have yet to receive the soap so I can begin washing him but I am washing him with water for now and I washed his tank last night with antibacterial soap and water , I have changed his substrate to just paper towels and keeping his tank extra clean. Should I continue to keep the humidity up or should he remain on the dryer side for now?? he still hasn’t finished shedding from his neck up to his head and face but the rest of his body is pretty much finished. I also noticed that when I was sanitizing his tank yesterday His heat mat was quite hot much hotter than it has been in the past so I’m worried that maybe it is on it’s last leg and possibly burned him in the process. I just looked at his Underbelly some more today and it does have a pinkish tint. I attached photos let me know what you think.
    Last edited by weightlessz; 12-22-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Red Underbelly.

- - - Updated - - -

would add photos but idk how to it will not let me do so, so if anyone can help !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    There are no pictures attached. Try using the Tapatalk app for your phone/tablet. That article you linked is full of misinformation. You'll need to help your snake with the stuck shed. Sounds like you're not using a thermostat for your heating elements? If not, unplug it immediately and get one.
    Last edited by jmcrook; 12-22-2020 at 12:21 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-22-2020),Hugsplox (12-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Let me get this straight: you're seeing the redness AFTER his shed, is that correct? (FYI some snakes show some pinkness when in shed & prior to shedding, that can be normal).

But it sounds to me like your snake has a BURN, not "scale rot" - wish you had asked us here, first. Also, it's hard to diagnose online & without SEEING your snake, but just a guess here- is your heat mat regulated by a thermostat??? Obviously not. DO THAT IMMEDIATELY- this is what happens when you fail to care for your snake properly. ALL heating devices need to be regulated for the correct temperatures...burns can lead to infection & death. (Still not seeing your pics, but either way, it's not the same as being seen in person by a vet, link below) For topical healing the best antiseptic to use on your snake is Vetericyn- it's made for reptiles (water-based- not petroleum jelly based- so it won't mess up their sheds)- you can find the ointment in some pet stores or online (Amazon, etc). In a pinch, dilute some Betadine (povidone-iodine) for wiping his red areas. Healing from a burn is slow & painful...the surface over his heat mat should not exceed 92*- we recommend 90* actually. Some snakes (notably BPs- perhaps because of their heavy body) don't seem to know when too much heat is doing damage- they get burned. It's up to US to regulate the heat sources in their enclosures, since they cannot leave & find better accommodations!

Getting him seen ASAP by a qualified herp vet would probably help, & if you need to find one, this may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-22-2020)

Thanks

I flipped him to show his underbelly and side , going to be cleaning out the paper towels daily. Any tips on getting his shed to come off his face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Let me get this straight: you're seeing the redness AFTER his shed, is that correct? (FYI some snakes show some pinkness when in shed & prior to shedding, that can be normal).

But it sounds to me like your snake has a BURN, not "scale rot" - wish you had asked us here, first. Also, it's hard to diagnose online & without SEEING your snake, but just a guess here- is your heat mat regulated by a thermostat??? Obviously not. DO THAT IMMEDIATELY- this is what happens when you fail to care for your snake properly. ALL heating devices need to be regulated for the correct temperatures...burns can lead to infection & death. (Still not seeing your pics, but either way, it's not the same as being seen in person by a vet, link below) For topical healing the best antiseptic to use on your snake is Vetericyn- it's made for reptiles (water-based- not petroleum jelly based- so it won't mess up their sheds)- you can find the ointment in some pet stores or online (Amazon, etc). In a pinch, dilute some Betadine (povidone-iodine) for wiping his red areas. Healing from a burn is slow & painful...the surface over his heat mat should not exceed 92*- we recommend 90* actually. Some snakes (notably BPs- perhaps because of their heavy body) don't seem to know when too much heat is doing damage- they get burned. It's up to US to regulate the heat sources in their enclosures, since they cannot leave & find better accommodations!

Getting him seen ASAP by a qualified herp vet would probably help, & if you need to find one, this may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    I’ve been caring for him for quite some time now 3 years to be exact and I have never had any sort of problem so, I am educated on his care and level of humidity as well as enclosure standards. I saw the redness during his shed not after (as stated he has not finished his shed, which has been compromised due to the move and stress of change) and as you can see from the photos it’s a little bit more than some redness. The heating pad has been tested prior to it being put on the tank and it’s also been on the tank for quite a long time so if it was the heat level to start he would’ve gotten burned along time ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    There are no pictures attached. Try using the Tapatalk app for your phone/tablet. That article you linked is full of misinformation. You'll need to help your snake with the stuck shed. Sounds like you're not using a thermostat for your heating elements? If not, unplug it immediately and get one.
    I did unplug and I’m testing another option with a thermostat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

Additionally we do not have a herp vet in my area .

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    That's 100% a burn not scale rot. Fortunately the topical treatments are the same. Unfortunately if the burn is bad enough the snake will die without vet care and antibiotics, and even then if it goes septic you'll lose it.

To measure the temperature of a heat pad you need to use an infrared point thermometer or a temperature gun, not the dial-type ambient thermometers like in the tank. Heat pads can top 125*F within minutes, which is plenty hot enough to cook your snake.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-22-2020),Bogertophis (12-22-2020),GoingPostal (12-22-2020),Hugsplox (12-22-2020),jmcrook (12-22-2020),PitOnTheProwl (12-27-2020),Toad37 (12-22-2020),weightlessz (12-22-2020)

Thanks

Fortunately I was able to get an appointment with an exotic vet tomorrow. Thanks for everyone’s kindness and support !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weightlessz For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-22-2020),cincy (12-23-2020)