Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

0 members and 3,225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation BP hasn't eaten in 4 months/(found worms in water bowl)parasites???

Hey everyone. So, my 3 year old male BP went off feed for the first time in the beginning of August. Before this, he never skipped a meal. I wasn't initially too worried about this, because from what I've heard it's common for BP's to not eat for months at a time. Anyways, I was changing his water bowl because some of the substrate got in it, and I noticed a few black worm like insects swimming around in it. After I cleaned the whole bowl out, and dug around in the substrate to see if there were any more, I came to the conclusion that my BP might have some sort of parasite. I'm thinking that I should clean the whole tank, and use paper towels for now to see if I notice anything suspicious. (P.S: the last time he pooped was a few weeks ago, and I didn't see any signs of worms). I'm trying to avoid any sort of vet visits because of the whole pandemic, but may be able to get an appointment if I absolutely have to. Does anybody have any ideas? What should I do? Thanks.
    I like noodles.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Do you heat treat the substrate before using it? did you take a picture of the "worm" an google it? Google would tell you what it is. Or bag one an drop it off at the Vet.

Did the snake poop in the bowl?

Without seeing it I have zero clue. The safe thing to do is clean an make a Vet appointment. The Vet will need a stool sample for a float test.

Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2020),Danya (11-02-2020)

Thanks

Cool Re: BP hasn't eaten in 4 months/(found worms in water bowl)parasites???

I had almost this exact situation happen to me with one of my males when he was about 8 months old. As recommended above i bagged up some poop and got a small amount of his water with his urate/the suspected parasite in it and brought both to my vet. I am so glad i did too because it was a nasty little parasite that was preventing him from eating and without the vet visit he absolutely would not be with me today. My recommendation is to find a vet that you really, really like and trust and request that they do a curbside visit. My vet comes out to the car, grabs my snake and takes it inside and then just simply brings it out to me with the medicine and care sheet once he is done. The reason i say that you should really trust this person is 1. they're taking care of your pet and 2. if its a curbside visit you will be much less informed of whats going on so you MUST make sure your animal is in good hands. I gave about 2 weeks of oral antibiotic and flagyl and the problem disappeared and has been fine ever since. I know you're trying to avoid the vet but this is what worked in my personal experience so i hope this helped. Let me know if you've got any more questions.
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Enchi Mojave BP
    1.0 Pewter Banana BP
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gcostello123 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2020),Danya (11-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: BP hasn't eaten in 4 months/(found worms in water bowl)parasites???

Quote Originally Posted by gcostello123 View Post
    I had almost this exact situation happen to me with one of my males when he was about 8 months old. As recommended above i bagged up some poop and got a small amount of his water with his urate/the suspected parasite in it and brought both to my vet. I am so glad i did too because it was a nasty little parasite that was preventing him from eating and without the vet visit he absolutely would not be with me today. My recommendation is to find a vet that you really, really like and trust and request that they do a curbside visit. My vet comes out to the car, grabs my snake and takes it inside and then just simply brings it out to me with the medicine and care sheet once he is done. The reason i say that you should really trust this person is 1. they're taking care of your pet and 2. if its a curbside visit you will be much less informed of whats going on so you MUST make sure your animal is in good hands. I gave about 2 weeks of oral antibiotic and flagyl and the problem disappeared and has been fine ever since. I know you're trying to avoid the vet but this is what worked in my personal experience so i hope this helped. Let me know if you've got any more questions.
    I totally agree with this ^ ^ ^ !
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2020),Danya (11-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Do you heat treat the substrate before using it? did you take a picture of the "worm" an google it? Google would tell you what it is. Or bag one an drop it off at the Vet.

Did the snake poop in the bowl?

Without seeing it I have zero clue. The safe thing to do is clean an make a Vet appointment. The Vet will need a stool sample for a float test.

Good luck!
    No, I've never heat treated the substrate. Is this necessary even when buying reptile brand substrate? Unfortunately I dumped the worms down the drain without a second thought. No, the snake pooped in his hide as per usual. I'll wait for his next poop and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gcostello123 View Post
    Unfortunately I drained all of the parasites that I could find before thinking of bringing one to a vet. I have no clue on how I can find a reptile vet that I can trust right now because of the pandemic, but I'm most likely going to wait for his next poop, and get a stool sample for the vet. If I find any more of the parasite I will definitely try to get one to a vet. Thanks for the reply.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danya View Post
    Unfortunately I drained all of the parasites that I could find before thinking of bringing one to a vet. I have no clue on how I can find a reptile vet that I can trust right now because of the pandemic, but I'm most likely going to wait for his next poop, and get a stool sample for the vet. If I find any more of the parasite I will definitely try to get one to a vet. Thanks for the reply.
    Might try this: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yes, heat treat substrates. 250 deg in the oven for 1.5-2 hours will kill everything. Start calling all your local Vets looking for a Reptile one. Worse case you can ship the poop to some labs. The test is easy, it's the treatment that can be a pain. There is twenty ways to treat the same parasite in snakes. Some work fast an some take time. Some you give the snake shots an others you load the prey.

Now, do you feed live? That can be source for parasites. The substrate could have had eggs or bugs from shipping or the warehouse or store.

I wish you an your snake the best.

Good luck!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2020),Danya (11-02-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Yes, heat treat substrates. 250 deg in the oven for 1.5-2 hours will kill everything. Start calling all your local Vets looking for a Reptile one. Worse case you can ship the poop to some labs. The test is easy, it's the treatment that can be a pain. There is twenty ways to treat the same parasite in snakes. Some work fast an some take time. Some you give the snake shots an others you load the prey.

Now, do you feed live? That can be source for parasites. The substrate could have had eggs or bugs from shipping or the warehouse or store.

I wish you an your snake the best.

Good luck!
    Alright, I'll definitely start heat treating the substrate from now on. I've only fed him frozen, so I doubt the parasites are from the prey. Thanks.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danya View Post
    Alright, I'll definitely start heat treating the substrate from now on. I've only fed him frozen, so I doubt the parasites are from the prey. Thanks.
    Whomever you got this snake from might have fed live though (unless you bought him "right out of the egg"?) & if their source of rodents was less than stellar, internal parasites can happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast