Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

1 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Shed frequency of young BPs

Hey all! I just had a quick question, I was handling Leviathan today and I noticed that he had a dullness to his scales but not his eyes, its only been 2 and a half weeks since he shed the last time, is that normal for a 3 month old snake?

Thank you for any and all comments and info!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Shed frequency of young BPs

Quote Originally Posted by Eltharion View Post
    Hey all! I just had a quick question, I was handling Leviathan today and I noticed that he had a dullness to his scales but not his eyes, its only been 2 and a half weeks since he shed the last time, is that normal for a 3 month old snake?

My guy just turned 3 months as well. His last shed started on or around 9/16 and he's in shed again now. I'm sure it varies snake to snake considering how much they're growing.

Thanks
    Mine (admittedly not a BP) shed nearly every week while he was a baby. He quit shedding when he was on his prowl for ladies and not eating (and let me tell you, this snake momma thought he was wayyyyy too young to be chasing girls!) but now that he's close to full size, he sheds about once a month.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks

Re: Shed frequency of young BPs

Quote Originally Posted by Eltharion View Post

Yep, seems about right to me. Ana Gwyn is roughly a year old and Tonks is about 6 months, and they both shed almost exactly once a month. When you consider the ten or so days of symptoms that lead up to shedding, that means I'm seeing signs of the next shed about 2-3 weeks after the last shed. Growing babies need to shed a lot to make room for new growth!

EDIT: Of course I say it's once a month, but when I just went back to check my records, they last shed on 9-8 and 9-17, respectively, and I only yesterday (10-24) noticed their bellies getting pink. So I say once a month, but it's not perfectly once a month. For a very young snake though, every 4-ish weeks is just about right considering their rapid growth at that age. Even my baby bullsnake seems to be on about a once-a-month schedule, though I've only had him long enough for one shed around 9-28 and his belly is turning pink today.

(Except that one time when Ana Gwyn got a very small injury, and it seemed to trigger a shed to get rid of the damaged scales... that time she shed on August 23rd then again on September 8th, only 16 days later)
    Last edited by OoohShiny; 10-23-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Meanwhile my Zebes has yet to shed even once since he's moved here. He shed about a week before he was shipped from the breeder, and it's been over a month and a half since then. He's only 4 months old overall so I find it odd he's taking this long. He's got a voracious appetite and spends the majority of the time nestled in his hide of choice as to be expected of a healthy, well adjusted BP, so I assume he's just slower to shed than average. I have seen him use the humidity box a couple times lately however so maybe that's a hint.