Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,245

0 members and 3,245 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Aspen bedding

Threaded View

Thanks

Aspen bedding

So, I know that a lot of people don't like aspen bedding for ball pythons, and I understand the reasons. Because of the research I did before getting my snakes, I've kept both of my BP girls on a mix of coco husk and sphagnum moss since I got them (one in April, the other in May). But then I got my baby bullsnake last month, and got aspen bedding for him so he could dig, and I like it so much better! It looks nicer, it smells lovely and clean, and the kind I got is soft with quite small pieces. Totoro hasn't had any trouble with eating it when I feed him, which was one of the main concerns, and the other was humidity which honestly, the aspen stays damp much longer than the BP's substrate when I mist down their tubs (ETA: I live in Colorado, where keeping humidity high is an issue regardless of substrate). It's also much easier to find and clean out their poops, because they don't blend in with the coco husk. Plus, I HAVE had trouble with the girls swallowing the coco husk because it's so fine and sticks to their prey items like dirt. Once, Tonks even accidentally struck at the hot spot from her heat lamp instead of her mouse because of the heat signature, and we were both very traumatized by the mouthful of "dirt" she ended up with that I had to clean out for her (do not recommend!).

What do you guys think about trying my BPs on aspen? I'm new enough at this to be unsure if aspen is just universally NONONO for ball pythons, or if it's more of a "do what works for you" kind of issue. I want to do what's best for my snakes so I'll stick with the coco/sphagnum if I have to, but I really just hate it and the aspen in the bullsnake tub is sooo much nicer.
    Last edited by OoohShiny; 10-14-2020 at 05:01 PM.