Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,237

1 members and 3,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Are Cork Rounds Dangerous?

I saw some cork rounds at the petshop when I was shopping for a new hide, and picked one up to add to my BP's cage clutter. I don't remember where I read it, but I heard soon after that snakes can get stuck in them and possibly suffocate. I broke the round up so it's not longer a tube. Does anybody on here have an opinion on cork rounds?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: Are Cork Rounds Dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarks View Post
    I saw some cork rounds at the petshop when I was shopping for a new hide, and picked one up to add to my BP's cage clutter. I don't remember where I read it, but I heard soon after that snakes can get stuck in them and possibly suffocate. I broke the round up so it's not longer a tube. Does anybody on here have an opinion on cork rounds?
    I've never seen cork rounds that small (narrow) but anything that your snake might get it's body stuck in could be a problem. They might fit thru before a meal, but not afterwards, for example...and their scales can catch & not allow them to back out, or if they can, it's only with severe injuries. Cork rounds also have an uneven texture that might complicate a snake being able to slide on thru. Whether natural or artificial "furnishings", just make sure there are no holes that your snake might get stick in...and pay attention as they grow larger. In your yard outside, snakes can get stuck & die in bird netting, chicken wire or even chain link (for larger snakes). You probably did the right thing by separating your cork round. You can also take an exacto knife & split them in half, into two equal tunnels.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-05-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Quarks (09-07-2020)

Thanks
    I believe I saw someone posted on this forum that their snake got stuck in the eye on one of those skull decor items. And the snake injured itself.

There's also this video of a snake being stuck in a log: https://youtu.be/k9NClh7sz00?t=31

Last edited by Trinityblood; 09-05-2020 at 09:22 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Quarks (09-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I believe I saw someone posted on this forum that their snake got stuck in the eye on one of those skull decor items. And the snake injured itself.

There's also this video of a snake being stuck in a log: https://youtu.be/k9NClh7sz00?t=31

OK, there's a difference between a hole that a snake can get stuck in, & a hide (like in your video) that the snake is NOT stuck in, but just merely wants to STAY in when youwant him to come out. They likely didn't need to bust that snake out. The snake would have come out when he was ready to, at least from anything I could see in the video-that snake was tensed up and when they want to come out, they relax their body & are much more flexible.

But for sure, those skull decorations are one of the horrible accessories you should never use. They're fine for tropical fish to swim thru, as are other things sold in pet stores with FISH in mind. But for snakes they are very hazardous when the snake becomes big enough to get stuck, & they're very hard to cut away safely without hurting the snake in the process.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-05-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-06-2020),bcr229 (09-06-2020),Caitlin (09-06-2020),Quarks (09-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    OK, there's a difference between a hole that a snake can get stuck in, & a hide (like in your video) that the snake is NOT stuck in, but just merely wants to STAY in when youwant him to come out. They likely didn't need to bust that snake out. The snake would have come out when he was ready to, at least from anything I could see in the video-that snake was tensed up and when they want to come out, they relax their body & are much more flexible.

But for sure, those skull decorations are one of the horrible accessories you should never use. They're fine for tropical fish to swim thru, as are other things sold in pet stores with FISH in mind. But for snakes they are very hazardous when the snake becomes big enough to get stuck, & they're very hard to cut away safely without hurting the snake in the process.
    Definitely for most snakes. I do have one for my garter girl though but she's so small and will never get big enough to get stuck in any of the holes on it. I wouldn't ever put something like that in with a BP anyway since not only would the extra holes make them feel too exposed but yeah, you don't want them having that risk of possibly getting hurt by them!

Also a note, be careful of the cave style hides. Usually they're fine but when a snake I had on rehab broke one a few years ago I noticed that when they crack, which is easier to do than it should be, the edges are like glass. The plastic hides are boring but at least they're safe. I custom make most of mine now though from ceramic clay so they look nice, they're rough enough for shed help, they're built for the corners of enclosures, and they can be customized per noodle as it grows.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-06-2020),Caitlin (09-06-2020),Quarks (09-07-2020)