Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

0 members and 3,261 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Meet Perdita!

Thanks

Meet Perdita!

Everyone meet Perdita - or Perdy for short. I just picked her up from a local breeder and she is beautiful. Her breeder was super nice and I will be returning to him in the future. He has some lovely animals and it was a tough time deciding on which one I wanted to take home today. All in all though I think Perdita was a good decision. I adore her already. I took a few photos of her before I got her put away to settle in. As soon as I looked at her she looked like a Perdita to me - hence the name.

She is an 8 year old king spin!

On the way home from the breeders... I had to have a quick peep - lol.

And one quick pic before I popped her in her bin...

Part of the reason I picked her is because I sent a photo of her and another ball python I was deciding between to my mom (she's kind of scared of snakes - we don't live together but I am trying to encourage her to like them) and I asked my mom which of the two she liked best and she chose Perdy. So this is my way of hopefully getting my mom to slowly like these guys... lol! Wish me luck - hopefully I can convince her to come over and see that they aren't as scary as she thinks they are.

Oh and editing to add: luckily she seems to be pretty much absent of a spider wobble - thank goodness for that.

Last edited by Opaque; 07-14-2023 at 11:16 AM.

Jackie
    beginner ball python keeper & enthusiast
    graphic design student

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2023),Homebody (07-14-2023),KingPythons (07-15-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    She's a pretty one for sure. Good luck changing your mom's opinion of snakes- I've changed many minds by sharing my mellow snakes w/ others, so I know it can be done. Most people have just never met a calm snake, & all they have to go by is the silly stuff they see in horror movies & other media, or from being teased & scared by snakes in childhood.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Opaque (07-14-2023)

Thanks
    Pretty girl! I hope your mom comes around to appreciate the good noodles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Opaque (07-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanks you two! I hope my mom comes around also - I feel like she ever so slowly is - at first she didn't even want to see pictures now she is suggesting names for them and helping me pick out which one I am gonna get next.. so that has to be a good start.

Jackie
    graphic design student

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: Meet Perdita!

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Thanks you two! I hope my mom comes around also - I feel like she ever so slowly is - at first she didn't even want to see pictures now she is suggesting names for them and helping me pick out which one I am gonna get next.. so that has to be a good start.

Yes, that's a good start to understanding the personality of a snake. Most ppl think only of their own fear- they don't realize how shy snakes are of us, & that wild animals prey on them too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Opaque (07-14-2023)

Thanks

Re: Meet Perdita!

Very true! Everyone assumes they want to strike and kill or that they will wrap around your neck and kill you (my mom jokingly says 'be careful - don't let it go around your neck!') - you're only in danger with ball pythons if you are a rat, mouse, etc. - they are very misunderstood by people who haven't been around them before.

So far they all have very different personalities - Sage is a food happy girl while she is in her enclosure but once she is out she is super chill and likes to sit on my shoulder while I am doing chores - she is actually shedding right now - her belly started turning pink a few days back and I checked on her today and her eyes are blue. She hasn't refused a meal since I got her though - she is a good eater. Xylo is just the most curious little dude. Every time I open his bin he pops his little head out of his hide and out of the bin to see what is going on and he when he's out he likes to scope out the room and explore. He didn't take his first meal but he took his second and has been eating every Wednesday so far since than - when it comes to eating he is very polite about taking his food compared to Sage.

Perdita seems quite shy so far - but that is to be expected as she just got here this morning and I don't know how much she has been handled as her breeder has many snakes. So I will take it slow with her and let her get settled in before I do handle her. I will likely wait 2 weeks or so before I feed her as she seems pretty nervous - I have to double check with the breeder to see when she was fed last - but I believe that should be okay - she is a big lady.

Jackie
    graphic design student

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opaque For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2023),Homebody (07-15-2023)