Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

1 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: New keeper and ambient temprature

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Personally, I think 75 plus is fine. Before my AP enclosure, my ambients were in the mid 70s and it wasn't a problem.
    Awesome, I'll stick with that for now and if I see any issues I'll adjust. While I've got you, what AP enclosure set up did you go with? I've been looking at them but honestly I have zero experience with RHP or heat tape or any of the fancier enclosure stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Awesome, I'll stick with that for now and if I see any issues I'll adjust. While I've got you, what AP enclosure set up did you go with? I've been looking at them but honestly I have zero experience with RHP or heat tape or any of the fancier enclosure stuff.
    I went w/ an AP T10 which gives me more height for easier cleaning. I have two of them, each outfitted with an RHP and no heat tape. The RHP came already installed and all you have to do is play around w/ the themostat probe to find the right temps. It's pretty easy.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Welcome. I use a similar tank and since I live in NJ and have to run 3 Che’s in the winter months I use a humidifier with a humidistat to keep the RH just right.. here is a thread on my setup...

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-new-enclosure

hopefully this helps. Also my ambient stays at around 77 year round, hotspot at 92 and RH at 60%. I use 4 jumpstart thermostats, one for the UTH and one for each of the 3 Che’s although only 3 are plugged in during the spring and summer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan.Hiker View Post
    Welcome. I use a similar tank and since I live in NJ and have to run 3 Che’s in the winter months I use a humidifier with a humidistat to keep the RH just right.. here is a thread on my setup...

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-new-enclosure

hopefully this helps. Also my ambient stays at around 77 year round, hotspot at 92 and RH at 60%. I use 4 jumpstart thermostats, one for the UTH and one for each of the 3 Che’s although only 3 are plugged in during the spring and summer.
    Hey and thanks for the response! Do you find you have any issues keeping your enclosure at that temp year round? I think Mine is sitting around the same temp with just a UTH due to the room temp (all these other heat mats/lamsp on the other reptiles.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

It may have already been suggested but a must for every keeper has to be a 10 dollar digital temp gun off eBay or Amazon or whatever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Welcome! Even though this community can be feisty at times, it's definitely friendlier than Reddit.

Regards the temps, 75 is ok but I always recommend for keepers to bump their ambient temps to at least 78. Ideal temps would be around 80-84, especially if you're not providing a constant hot spot. The reason for higher temps is warmer temperatures reduce the time required for digestion and increase overall metabolism. With the warmer temperatures your BP's body functions more efficiently.

I attached a source below for you to check out. If you scroll down, you'll find additional info regarding temps and different kind of pythons. This specific citation is for Rock Pythons but I feel that it applies to other species of pythons as well:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11024579_Effects_of_temperature_on_the_metabolic_response_to_feeding_in_Python_m olurus

The humidity isn't as important as temps unless your BP is going into shed so I wouldn't be too worries about the CHE sucking out the humidity. Once shed is coming up, you can always bump up the humidity with moss or by spraying.
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 08-28-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Welcome! Even though this community can be feisty at times, it's definitely friendlier than Reddit.

Regards the temps, 75 is ok but I always recommend for keepers to bump their ambient temps to at least 78. Ideal temps would be around 80-84, especially if you're not providing a constant hot spot. The reason for higher temps is warmer temperatures reduce the time required for digestion and increase overall metabolism. With the warmer temperatures your BP's body functions more efficiently.

I attached a source below for you to check out. If you scroll down, you'll find additional info regarding temps and different kind of pythons. This specific citation is for Rock Pythons but I feel that it applies to other species of pythons as well:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11024579_Effects_of_temperature_on_the_metabolic_response_to_feeding_in_Python_m olurus

The humidity isn't as important as temps unless your BP is going into shed so I wouldn't be too worries about the CHE sucking out the humidity. Once shed is coming up, you can always bump up the humidity with moss or by spraying.
    Thanks so much for the information. I am running the CHE now based off the feedback I got here, so at the coolest my hot side is 82. I do have a constant 90-91 hotspot on the UTH under the hot hide, but better safe than sorry, I’ll run the CHE as well. Will it hurt the BP if the humidity drops down to 50ish when not shedding? I’ve heard too low and too high can cause RIs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    It may have already been suggested but a must for every keeper has to be a 10 dollar digital temp gun off eBay or Amazon or whatever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the suggestion Zincubus. You may have missed it in my wall of text original post but I do use an infrared temp gun to test hot spots. I have a few other basking reptiles so it was a must for them. When the BP came home I was a head of the game so to speak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Will it hurt the BP if the humidity drops down to 50ish when not shedding? I’ve heard too low and too high can cause RIs.
    Not at all. If your BP isn't shedding, there's no reason to have high humidity. I run all of my terrariums at 82 ambient temps with 40-60 humidity.

If anything, high humidity and low temps can cause RI in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (08-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Not at all. If your BP isn't shedding, there's no reason to have high humidity. I run all of my terrariums at 82 ambient temps with 40-60 humidity.

If anything, high humidity and low temps can cause RI in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Awesome, thanks so much for the info. This forum has been night and day more helpful than Reddit and you guys are way friendlier. I’ll leave the CHE running and just mist if I need to.

I will tell you he got here from Wilbanks Tuesday and crushed his first feeding this evening, so at least that went well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast