Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

1 members and 3,253 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Which morph to get next?

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    You're right I guess I was stating my opinion and I don't actually know what or how the animal actually feels. However it's also your opinion that wobble brings "discomfort".
    Also eating well is not my only benchmark. They shed, grow, and breed with no notable differences that I have witnessed vs and other morphs. So I do have several other benchmarks that I consider quality of life.

Sean
    Hey man, you do you.

The fact that you're unwilling to consider that an animal that uncontrollably shakes may be at the very least uncomfortable is telling in itself. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

I'm sorry friend, I didn't mean to come off rude and don't mean to start any arguments. I respect your decision and opinion. It's just something that I've observed while keeping them. I truly don't know if it is painful or not. If I thought for one second that it affected the quality of life of an animal then I would be against it also.

Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    Just because spiders have head wobble doesn't mean they have any less quality of life then any othe snake. I currently own four spider combos and they are the best feeders out of my entire collection. Even one that has severe corkscrewing eats regularly and lives as quality a life as all my other snakes.
    It makes me sad when people have absolutely no experience with the morph and get all their information from the internet youtube or cherry pick the examples that are the most severe yet have absolutely no first hand experience with.
    The spider imo is one of the most important morphs ever discovered. Not just because of what it is, but because of what it has brought to the hobby. The discovery of the spider gave way to some of the most beautiful combinations that looked nothing like a normal at a time when most morphs were recessive. Look at the Bumblebee for example.

Sean
    You are welcome to your opinion but replace snakes with dogs or children to really see how you're coming off. Head wobble indicates severe neurological distress and can cause pain and discomfort. Now selectively breeding with other animals, say people who breed pugs on purpose knowing that they have a very poor quality of life, does the same thing. Imagine if you were to CHOOSE to make sure your child had a condition that would cause them pain and make them less fit neurologically than their peers just because you wanted them to look a certain way. Would you consider that ethical? People who breed snakes that are VERY likely to have head wobble, bubble eyes, or have a high morality rate of clutches are just plain irresponsible.
    Last edited by Namea; 08-30-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (08-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I am admittedly semi-guilty of that as I have chosen a snake to be shipped to me (banana morph). But it's my first snake I've had since I was a preteen since the initial one (a corn) regrettably was rehomed at the time (long story short, friends kept giving me animals they couldn't care for anymore, some multiplied, and it became way too much for my age to the point where I had to downsize) so I did want something a little more unusual. And even then, I'm taking extra precautions and have requested that mine sheds first before he makes the journey as he was in deep blue when the breeder showed me a current picture this week, plus this time of year has the perfect weather conditions to ensure as little stress as possible.

Also did my research on which morphs to avoid like the notorious spiders. I don't care what anyone says, if a snake can't even move its head around normally, it probably shouldn't be bred. The scaleless morphs give me pause too, it's like hairless variations of mammals. A change of color is one thing, but why selectively remove a part of their biology that they specifically have to survive better as an organism? I watch Snake Discovery and while it's a wonderful channel for the most part, they breed a lot of scaleless snakes and even right out of the egg it's apparent they have a harder life (always seem to hatch slower than their scaled siblings, when they get out they get twice as much substrate stuck to themselves, and I'm sure they're more susceptible to cuts and bruises).
    The jury at large is still out about scaleless morphs but personally I am against them. I see more injured scaleless than normals, more severe burning, and there are still people who feed live with scaleless even knowing they're more vulnerable. To breed an animal specifically without one of its defense mechanisms is really strange to me. I get that these snakes aren't going into the wild but they're still more likely to be injured than a normal snake even with proper husbandry, and let's face it, everyone makes husbandry mistakes once in a while. None of us are perfect.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123