Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,531

0 members and 2,531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Questions about my daughter's new BP

Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    Simple, stop quoting me and I'll stop responding, why is is so hard? You guys keep bugging, now I'm dedicated.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I'm replying to help others. I don't need to feel good about myself by pointing out incorrect information. It's not about YOU. It's about the animals. I quote you so others know what I'm replying to. Again, not about you.

Keeping other animals and keeping snakes is VERY different. Your experience there is irrelevant.

If you don't want to be interrupted turn your notifications off or block me.

As you can see, every other comment on the thread backs up everything I said. So, if you're done, kindly accept that you're misinformed and stop derailing the poor OPs thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I'm replying to help others. I don't need to feel good about myself by pointing out incorrect information. It's not about YOU. It's about the animals. I quote you so others know what I'm replying to. Again, not about you.

Keeping other animals and keeping snakes is VERY different. Your experience there is irrelevant.

If you don't want to be interrupted turn your notifications off or block me.

As you can see, every other comment on the thread backs up everything I said. So, if you're done, kindly accept that you're misinformed and stop derailing the poor OPs thread.
    If you know so much why do you feel that you have to keep responding? Insecure much?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    If you know so much why do you feel that you have to keep responding? Insecure much?

Now you're instigating. Craig has been a member of this site for years and had helped many people. I get he may come off as a little "abrasive" (no offense Craig!) but he means well and I've learned a lot from him. He's simply right about ambient temps, and you're upset all because he quoted your post?! Lol. Let's be adults here and remember we're all here to help people not derail threads because we a little upset over being proven wrong.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-20-2020),jmcrook (08-20-2020),MissterDog (08-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    Now you're instigating. Craig has been a member of this site for years and had helped many people. I get he may come off as a little "abrasive" (no offense Craig!) but he means well and I've learned a lot from him. He's simply right about ambient temps, and you're upset all because he quoted your post?! Lol. Let's be adults here and remember we're all here to help people not derail threads because we a little upset over being proven wrong.
    I made it clear I'm not here to argue since my first post, I asked craig very politely not to keep responding. I've been on here for 2 years watching Craig and his minions start arguments for absolutely nothing. every time somebody contradicts the status quo they want to attack. I posted zero bad information. All my info was from my own experience and is 100 percent opinion. That's what this forum is for. Somehow my opinion is wrong and his opinion is right. Ummm No. There is a reason post count is always low on this forum and almost all forums now a days anybody who has a different opinion is berrated. Not me, not today

Banned
    Thanks
    OP, I'm sorry this thread was derailed so badly.

As I'm sure you can see, one member seems to be convinced his/her short window of experience with one animal is right. But even he/she says it's opinion.

Luckily, people have been studying these animals for many years and science doesn't lie, nor is it opinion. Of course, there's variation and we're always learning and growing. But I think based on the replies of every member (a combined 70 years of experience probably) except one you will be able to make an educated decision.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck with your new pet. Feel free to PM me if you have questions and don't want the drama or misinformation.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-20-2020 at 10:27 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

christineho (08-21-2020),jmcrook (08-20-2020),MissterDog (08-20-2020)

Thanks

Sorry as well to the OP, hope you can see past these childlike actions and get some good information out of it. Whoever has more experience is obviously right and those with not as much are completely wrong. Please PM him and he will show you the way , the truth, and the life.

Thanks

Happy to help!

1. You might be able to remove the existing he's mat if you're careful. The have thin coils in them that create the heat which are fragile though when bent.

Otherwise, yeah a new one will be needed. I can't say with 100% confidence you can leave the paper on, but believe you can. I don't want to steer you wrong though, so please double check.

2/3. Your temps are spot on. But yes, you'll need a tstat for the CHE. You can use a rheostat (dimmer switch) but it's not accurate like a tstat. You need to adjust as room temps fluctuate. Whereas a tstat does the work for you.
    A temp gun is a fantastic tool every keeper should have. Remember to temp the actual glass surface, not the substrate because your snake will burrow and push substrate around. The kids will have fun temping things too!

4. I know it's tempting to hang out with a new pet, but unfortunately snakes are a bit different that way. During your research I'm sure you learned BPs can be a bit picky about eating, which can be true. The two major reasons a BP will refuse food are improper husbandry and stress. You're already nipping stress in the bud by cluttering the enclosure, but handling is obviously stressful for them. Since new keepers can't easily identify stress or troubleshoot it's best to avoid stress altogether. It'll be worth the wait.

5. I personally only use a humidity box during shed, and not with all of my snakes. But it certainly can't hurt to offer one all the time. Plenty of keepers do.

Good luck! Please keep us posted. Feel free to ask any questions you have, we're happy to help.
    Thanks again! We will buy a new heat mat and attach it to the bottom and add clutter. He came out to explore last night about 8pm and seemed very happy!

The heat lamp we have has a dimmer on it, but I think we'll get one without and add a thermostat. It definitely gets cold in our house in the winter!

Only question my daughter still has is about the humidity levels. Right now it is 45% on the hot side and 55% on the cooler side.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosiegirl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-21-2020),jmcrook (08-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Questions about my daughter's new BP

That humidity isn’t too bad for when the snake is not in shed. I’d suggest covering 2/3 or more of the screen top with something to minimize moisture and heat loss though, especially during the colder months. Aluminum foil/plexiglass/etc will likely help your humidity levels. I try to aim for 65-70% or so when in shed.
    You can use the dimmer lamp with a thermostat no problem. Thermostat will just adjust temps for you rather than having to fuss with the dimmer all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 08-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-21-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Very happy to help.

Sounds like you're a few adjustments away from getting things dialed in. Once dialed in it get much easier, I promise.

The humidity could come up a smidge, but it's not bad. With my BPs I aim to keep it above 50% until a shed cycle begins, then I bump it to 70%

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-21-2020)

Thanks

Very happy to help.

Sounds like you're a few adjustments away from getting things dialed in. Once dialed in it get much easier, I promise.

The humidity could come up a smidge, but it's not bad. With my BPs I aim to keep it above 50% until a shed cycle begins, then I bump it to 70%
    Actually I have to disagree 60 percent is ideal humidity and it should not go lower than that.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast