Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Questions about my daughter's new BP

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Happy to help!

1. You might be able to remove the existing he's mat if you're careful. The have thin coils in them that create the heat which are fragile though when bent.

Otherwise, yeah a new one will be needed. I can't say with 100% confidence you can leave the paper on, but believe you can. I don't want to steer you wrong though, so please double check.

2/3. Your temps are spot on. But yes, you'll need a tstat for the CHE. You can use a rheostat (dimmer switch) but it's not accurate like a tstat. You need to adjust as room temps fluctuate. Whereas a tstat does the work for you.
    A temp gun is a fantastic tool every keeper should have. Remember to temp the actual glass surface, not the substrate because your snake will burrow and push substrate around. The kids will have fun temping things too!

4. I know it's tempting to hang out with a new pet, but unfortunately snakes are a bit different that way. During your research I'm sure you learned BPs can be a bit picky about eating, which can be true. The two major reasons a BP will refuse food are improper husbandry and stress. You're already nipping stress in the bud by cluttering the enclosure, but handling is obviously stressful for them. Since new keepers can't easily identify stress or troubleshoot it's best to avoid stress altogether. It'll be worth the wait.

5. I personally only use a humidity box during shed, and not with all of my snakes. But it certainly can't hurt to offer one all the time. Plenty of keepers do.

Good luck! Please keep us posted. Feel free to ask any questions you have, we're happy to help.
    All of the above ^

Nothing to add to that really apart from suggesting that you add an awful lot more clutter... branches , fake foliage from dollar stores , one more ideally identical hide at the cooler end - even a third hide on the middle somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-20-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    Well snakes are new to me but keeping animals is not and I have 20 plus years experience in other pets and and it's people like you who ruin good forums with your absolutes. Your numbers are guidelines not rules, get over yourself.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    To be fair he’s made some excellent points and the numbers / temps are pretty much as the others have suggested .. for example none of my Royal vivs go under 80F or over 92F

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-20-2020),jmcrook (08-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    To be fair he’s made some excellent points and the numbers / temps are pretty much as the others have suggested .. for example none of my Royal vivs go under 80F or over 92F

I know you didn't read the whole thread, this guy wants to argue. I told him if your speaking to the OP don't quote me cause it alerts my phone and I don't feel reading your how to care for BP booklet that is copy and pasted from "pick any website" on the internet. His info is fine never said it wasn't, he just wants to tell people they are wrong to feel good about himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I know you didn't read the whole thread, this guy wants to argue. I told him if your speaking to the OP don't quote me cause it alerts my phone and I don't feel reading your how to care for BP booklet that is copy and pasted from "pick any website" on the internet. His info is fine never said it wasn't, he just wants to tell people they are wrong to feel good about himself.

“This guy” knows what he’s talking about and is trying to avoid misinformation being spread that can be read by newcomers here. Don’t want alerts sent to your phone? Turn them off in settings.
    Craig isn’t copy/pasting anything. He’s taking time out of his day to try and help people care for their animals. I suggest you check your attitude at the door or find another forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-20-2020),christineho (08-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    “This guy” knows what he’s talking about and is trying to avoid misinformation being spread that can be read by newcomers here. Don’t want alerts sent to your phone? Turn them off in settings.
    Craig isn’t copy/pasting anything. He’s taking time out of his day to try and help people care for their animals. I suggest you check your attitude at the door or find another forum.

Wait who are you again?

Thanks

Simple, stop quoting me and I'll stop responding, why is is so hard? You guys keep bugging, now I'm dedicated.

Thanks

Wait who are you again?

Just a dedicated reptile keeper with a quarter century of experience doing so. And you are...?

Thanks

Also he's wrong UTH don't provide ambient heat.

Thanks

Just a dedicated reptile keeper with a quarter century of experience doing so. And you are...?

Just someone trying to learn and don't feel like arguing over a forum

Thanks

OP, craigs advice is sound and worth following. Disregard the rest of this nonsense.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

christineho (08-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-20-2020),Toad37 (08-20-2020)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast