Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

1 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New owner and my snake is so.. mean?

Hi everyone! Just wanna say before anyone points it out I know it's more than likely defensive but 'mean' is just the best way to describe my new little guys attitude.

I know my tank specs will probably be wanted. I do have pictures but I have no idea how to post them to here so here they are:

• -I have him in an exo terra large low. I know about animal plastics and PVC cages but I'm partial to how exo terra looks and I've modified it to help retain heat and humidity. I've layered sheets of foil over both ends of the screen top, leaving about 6 inches open for ventilation and covered both short ends of the glass with black fabric for privacy.
    • -His humidity stays around 55-60% no problem (living in Florida probably helps for once lol). His temps stay at 77-78 on his cool side and stay around 83-84 on his warm side. His basking spot is an UTH under his warm hide that's on a zilla thermostat set to 97.
    • -He has two hides, one on his cool side, one on warm like I said and is on coconut fiber substrate.
    • -He has clutter. I bought fake vines and some leaves along with a large piece of faux driftwood that he seemed to like climbing on the first two nights
    • -The only extra heating element I have is on the warm side. it's a low watt (25) zoo med moonlight bulb just to help keep the warm side warm, we keep our house at 75-76. The lamp sits on the screen top in a hole cut into the foil to let the light/heat down in.
    • -He has a large water dish
    • -His tank is in our game room and isn't super busy and we're not constantly going past the tank. It's just general household sort of busy. Talking to friends over voice chat occasionally or talking to each other when my husband's home from work, laughing, just day to day sort of stuff.

So now about my boy Soba. I realize I may be jumping the gun being so worried so soon but I'd rather get opinions than just sit and wonder if maybe there's something I'm not aware of that I'm doing wrong.
    • - He's about 9 months old and I got him shipped to me from a breeder. His packaging was fine, he didn't have any injuries at all. Just a bit of an attitude which, granted, I'd be grumpy too after that ordeal.
    • - His breeder listed that he'd eaten on the 7th. an F/T adult mouse. He arrived here on the 11th.
    • - the first two nights seemed to be fine. He would settle into his cool hide for the day and start to poke around at night just exploring his tank, warm up on his hot spot for a bit then go back to checking things out. Unfortunately I'd noticed by morning 2 that his cool hide was just a biiit too small for him so I put a larger one on order.
    • -Day three? was.. interesting. I got his new hide and the plan was to just pull a quick swap but Soba apparently had a different idea. Turned out he was half in, half on top of the too-small hide (it was one of those rock shale dens that I half buried. he decided to un bury it) so, I had to pull him out. He took a lot of exception to that. He kept striking at the snake hook, striking at me. It honestly only took under a minute to pull him out, set him in a box real quick, swap the hides, then put him back in but I want to say for the next half hour at most he was right where I put him back in, cocked up and striking at me through the glass. Honestly acting like he wanted a piece of me.
    • Since then it's been back to the usual, leaving him alone outside of going in to change his water. He's been hunkered in his new hide for three days now and I'm not certain he's even come out at night when we're asleep.
    • I offered him a F/T rat pup (adult mice were out of stock) last night as it's been about 10 days since his last meal. He wasn't interested in coming out for it so I decided to leave it overnight and still nothing.

I realize it's only been about 6 days since he got here and coming from a big breeder, he probably wasn't messed with much, but I'm just concerned that there's something I'm unknowingly doing that could be stressing him out. Help a nervous girl out?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wouldn't sweat it at all. Sounds like an acclimating snake to me.

All sounds good except probably the hot spot. If your tstat is set to 97 the glass surface is likely too hot. You'll have to double check with a temp gun. There is variance, so it might be spot on. But typically I've had to set mine about 92ish to achieve a hot spot of 88-89.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),Caitlin (08-18-2020),Coffee Mutt (08-17-2020),Sonny1318 (09-01-2020)

Thanks

Re: New owner and my snake is so.. mean?

Thanks so much for the reply!

I have it set a little higher to 97 because I noticed when I had it set at 92-93 my temp gun was only reading inside there at about 83. Since turning it to 97 it's been sitting at 87-88. If I had to take a guess I'd say it's probably due to the amount of substrate I have on top of it which I'd rather have a bit more than a bit less.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Mutt View Post

I have it set a little higher to 97 because I noticed when I had it set at 92-93 my temp gun was only reading inside there at about 83. Since turning it to 97 it's been sitting at 87-88. If I had to take a guess I'd say it's probably due to the amount of substrate I have on top of it which I'd rather have a bit more than a bit less.
    Move the substrate aside and take the temperature of the glass over the heat pad. Ball pythons burrow so they'll move the substrate aside. You can also put a very thin layer of substrate over the heat pad, as it doesn't take much to absorb the minimal waste from a BP.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2020),Caitlin (08-18-2020),Coffee Mutt (08-18-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-17-2020),GoingPostal (08-17-2020),Sonny1318 (08-17-2020)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Mutt View Post

Happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Move the substrate aside and take the temperature of the glass over the heat pad. Ball pythons burrow so they'll move the substrate aside. You can also put a very thin layer of substrate over the heat pad, as it doesn't take much to absorb the minimal waste from a BP.
    Agreed 100%.

Since your BP will burrow and push substrate aside you want to measure the actual enclosure surface, not the substrate.
    My BPs push their substrate outside their hides, so I barely put any in those spots anymore. I just go super thin in the hides and let them do their thing.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-17-2020 at 12:36 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (09-01-2020)

Thanks

Done and done! Thank you both!

I was surprised this morning to find he had decided to shed in his hide though he wasn't very happy with me retrieving it (all I did was slightly lift the end of his hide and fish it out with the little hook I have. It was right at the end of it) and misting his tank like I've been doing once a week. He came right out of his hide after I finished and locked the doors back up, zeroed in on me as I was just folding up a blanket about 5 feet away, crept up, coiled up and took a strike at the glass again actually thumping his nose against it this time I'm just not sure what's up with that. He's slipped back into his hide since then.

Banned
    Thanks
    Aha!!! He was in shed!!! That definitely explains the grumpiness!!!
    While in shed they are typically defensive. Their vision is compromised and they feel vulnerable. Since their only defense is their bite, that's what they're prepared to do.

The post shed removal behavior sounds like he's still acclimating, due to the shed it may have set him back a bit. Instead of acclimating he's been focused on shedding safely. Now he'll start to acclimate and settle.

I don't recall if he's due to eat soon, but after a shed they're typically hungry. It may be worth offering food tonight or tomorrow night.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have. We're happy to help.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2020),GoingPostal (08-18-2020)

Thanks

Right! As soon as I peeked in and saw the shed peeking out of the hide I was like Ahah! So I was thinking the same thing and was content to let him get a bit huffy as I went about my business. It's just the coming out and very directly focusing on me that now has me reeling again. Not necessarily scared just moreso 'WHAT is going on??'

He has been due for a feed and I offered him a rat pup saturday night that he didn't take, which now I know he was busy with his shed more than likely. I was planning to wait until Thursday to try and see if he'll take food again but I'll probably shoot for tomorrow.

Again thank you so much. I'm so glad I joined here haha. I'm just so anxious about wanting to do the best I possibly can and honestly Soba acting nothing like I expected isn't helping I have other friends who have BPs and I have just never heard of or seen such a SASSY one

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Coffee Mutt For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Happy to help. I enjoy helping people understand and enjoy these amazing, misunderstood animals.

This forum is a fantastic tool, for beginners to experienced keepers and everywhere in between. I wish forums like this existed when I started out. Just remember, anybody can write anything on the internet, so choose who you learn from.

As for feeding, you can't go wrong waiting a few more days. It certainly won't hurt. And I'm not surprised at all he refused now that we know he was in shed. Whether you hold off or not is your call, nothing wrong either way.

Keep us posted and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congrats on the new BP! Sounds like everything is going pretty good so far. Secure enclosure, temps are dialed in, and a successful first shed. All we need now is for your critter to eat which he'll hopefully do soon! He should also mellow out after a few meals and once he gets more settled in. Keep using that snake hook as long as he's nippy. Best wishes!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast