Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

0 members and 3,241 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Please, please help me feed this ridiculously picky creature.

Quote Originally Posted by smakemom View Post
    I might get a few more plants for the walls of the tank to get more clutter goin' on. I just secured a towel over the front of his tank (which was previously the only glass left exposed) for some extra privacy. I'll get those temps up.
    Extra clutter is a good idea .. as is getting those ‘temps’ right ..

As mentioned already give him a bit of a break just refreshing the water ( during the day when he’s asleep) .... then ... try this method . I don’t thaw in water as it just strips away the all important smell of the rodent which could be vital with a reluctant feeder .

I leave the frozen mouse/ rat to defrost for hours , very near to the snake’s viv .

Then wait until evening and feed a very warm mouse/rat in dim/low light .

In my experience, It’s the details that make the difference in this method . Royals are nocturnal so feed evenings.. they use their heat pits and that’s where the dim light and WARM mouse come into play . The rodent smell is vital as well so I NEVER soak them in water .. some people have success by wiping hamster /rodent bedding all over the mouse/rat so that shows their smell can make a difference.

So down to the details ..
    In dim light , wait until the snake is well settled UNDER a hide then give the mouse/rat’s head a really good blast with the hairdryer and INSTANTLY dangle it in front of the hide entrance .. they normally grab it instantly but as long as they keep showing interest you just keep reheating and dangling until they take it . You have to offer it INSTANTLY whilst it’s still warm to let their heat pits work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-06-2020)

Thanks

UPDATE TO THE SITUATION:

I apologize for neglecting this thread for a period of time. I moved to my college, got settled, and have been adjusting to classes, the campus, and the city. It now feels like a second home, and ironically, I feel more out of place at my own home than I do there. I am currently home visiting family over Labor Day weekend. But enough about me, this is about the snake.

He ate! Yes, he actually ate. Two meals, even. He ate last week and the week before that for my father. He's due to eat again tonight, so I'm going to watch how my dad feeds him and see what the magic is exactly. He was not touched for two whole weeks and a few days, so last night and today I did handle him for very brief periods of time just to see how he will respond. And, of course, I missed my snake.

On the worse side of things, he has gotten VERY thin. His scales/skin seem to sag downward and his spine is very triangular. I'm glad he is eating now. We will also be trying to get him to eat a regular small rat rather than a pinky rat (which have been his last two meals) and see if he takes. If not, I will probably have him fed pinkies twice a week/every three days to compensate for the lack of proper meals. Poor lad needs to get some meat on his many, many bones.

Temps, humidity, and environment are all solid. He has a towel that hangs over half his tank, the basking lamp is now just sitting there uselessly (as it should, I suppose), and he's got a nice, dark, private environment.

Well, that concludes my update. To those with concerns or further advice, I welcome you still. This journey is far from over. Thank you, everyone, for your help up to this point.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smakemom For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-06-2020),dakski (09-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Pinky rats are NOT enough food for this snake at all. But at least he has told you that he likes & will eat RATS. So get the right size...order them frozen online if needed,
    and try to get him to eat every week. He will never gain weight or even thrive on rat pinkies...they lack sufficient nutrients.

A snake that is as thin as you described but that is finally eating should NOT have been handled by you...snakes don't care about a reunion, sorry. And stress of handling
    might make him hard to feed again...no telling, & I hope I'm wrong. I know how nice pets are to cuddle so this might not be the best pet for you- I hope you understand
    that his eating comes first...otherwise you'll have no pet at all.

The added privacy of a towel is a good idea...sounds like it's helping. Some BPs are really hard to keep eating- I wish sources would stop saying they're great for beginners, because IMO they're not even close. Too many factors complicate your ability to figure out what's wrong, but if it's any consolation, you aren't the only one...that's why this forum is here...this is a very common issue.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-06-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-06-2020),Caitlin (09-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-07-2020),dakski (09-06-2020),GoingPostal (09-06-2020),jmcrook (09-06-2020),Spicey (09-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Good he ate, but as Bogertophis said, get him on proper food items ASAP.

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Dip the feeder into chicken broth it works on all of my new snakes I get (boas, bp’s, retics and corns)

Thanks
    Rather than add an unnatural component to an already picky eater, I would suggest you skip the chicken broth and ask the pet store if they would give you a little bag
    of well-used litter from their rats cage...then rub your f/t feeders in them for a "fresher rat scent" after thawing them & right before feeding your snake.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-07-2020),GoingPostal (09-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I live in the desert and the heat is insane this time of year. A couple weeks ago I decided to thaw the rats on the patio table. It was 110 degrees out. I set them out on the table, which was in the shade, for about 90 minutes. The rats were warm through and through, and dry (unlike the ones that often get wet when thawed in water--- even if you put hem in a ziplock bag it leaks sometimes). Anyway, they both struck immediately and ate them right down! I've now done that method twice and great success. When winter comes I may consider thawing them in the oven on a low temperature. I just have to make sure to remember them so I don't cook them!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Another update!

Smake is doing great! He IS on proper small-medium rats, and eats once a week. He's got a great appetite. And I know that he, along with all bps, don't care much for being handled. It does not bug me, lol. With me being at uni, he's had lots of alone time to simply relax, and only be interacted with when his tank needs maintenance or he gets fed. He's still a very docile fellow, with no nippy-ness or aversion of hands to be seen.

He has towels draping over half of his tank as well as a towel beneath his tank. I implemented a small humidifier into his tank which has been a lifesaver concerning humidity. I can't really control its output, so it currently sprays every 2 seconds. That's the widest interval I can get with it. BUT, his humidity level floats around 60-65, so it's no big.

He's gotten some bigger hides to compensate for his bigger size, he's on newspaper (don't even try to convince me that another substrate is better, this works best for my lifestyle and all his needs are being met- it's flat, not shredded, so there's no worry for impaction), and all his temps are perfect: 75-80 on cool, 85-90 on hot.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help! Smake is stable and healthy. He recently had a beautiful shed, and continues to mind his own and gobble down his rats.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smakemom For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-25-2021),Zincubus (01-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Congratulations! I’m glad your snake finally ate. The hunger ALWAYS wins in the end.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Wonderful update, it's been a real battle for you with this BP.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345